Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old July 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post FBI Investigating Alleged Murder on Carnival Cruise Ship

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

FBI Investigating Alleged Murder on Carnival Cruise Ship

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I read an article about this from a San Deigo news station.

Star Princess Jan 2005
Sun Princess Oct 2005
Caribbean Princess Mar 2006
MSC Lirica Dec 2006
NCL Pearl Oct 2007
Majesty of the Seas Sept 2008
Carnival Destiny Sept 2008

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

had to been a real scary event for the rest of the passengers..news like this would spread pretty fast throughout the ship..

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Apparently no place is safe from intimate partner violence.

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but what does Carnival do with that room after there's been a murder in it? Do they actually put the new guests for the next cruise who are scheduled to be in that room in there?

I would hope that at least for one trip they would leave that room unoccupied and accommodate the guests with an available room (even if the only one available is a suite).

What a sad reality.
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
20,000+ Club

Different news outlets are providing conflicting details of what happened. From the story linked to in post one ...

Cruise ship personnel were responding to the dispute when, upon their arrival to the cabin, they found the victim deceased, according to a statement from the FBI. At that point, the man was taken into custody and the FBI and the U.S. Coast Guard were notified.

And from Yahoo news ...

The first hint of trouble aboard the Carnival Elation came three days into the luxury cruise to Mexico, when a passenger contacted the ship's security to express concerns that a woman might be dead.

Crew members went to Shirley McGill's cabin on Tuesday evening and found her body, but her husband, Robert McGill, was not in the room, said Keith Slotter, a special agent in charge of the FBI's San Diego bureau.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090717/...s_cruise_death

Last edited by Cuizer2; July 17th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
20,000+ Club

initial reports are wrong half the time. Until a few day passes you will continue to get conflicting and wrong reports. rarely does a reported correct their misstatements. The essential facts are that she is dead and her husband is the suspect and under arrest all the rest is filler.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudochicken View Post
I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but what does Carnival do with that room after there's been a murder in it? Do they actually put the new guests for the next cruise who are scheduled to be in that room in there?

I would hope that at least for one trip they would leave that room unoccupied and accommodate the guests with an available room (even if the only one available is a suite).

What a sad reality.
I would think they would use the room if it was OK with Law Enforcement. Why not use it??
PRINCESS ELITE
HAL ***
Click for Cruise list
Jim

Old July 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
10,000+ Club

The husband has now been arrested for the Murder...

http://news.aol.com/article/man-arre...death%2F575526

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default body in room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtutak View Post
I would think they would use the room if it was OK with Law Enforcement. Why not use it??

ok I was wondering did it say how long she was dead in the room?

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
pom body in room
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtutak

ok I was wondering did it say how long she was dead in the room?
I would think if it needed a "major" cleaning they would not put someone in that room, but its just a few over turn items probably would not be a big deal. I guess it depends on how much the room was messed up.

I have herd weather its correct or not is another story, that they think a few hours went by before she was found.

Last edited by Kudos2Fly; July 17th, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

The L.A. News said the husband was a school teacher.

Winnetka is really Canoga Park, Calif. I used to live near Winnetka Ave. and Sherman way.

When I was on the Star Princess to Alaska.... one of the gals at our table who had a balcony said her neighbors next door were having a big fight at 2a.m. in the morning and woke her up. I told her she should have called security because that is how people throw eachother over-board the balconies.
Then they call them the jumpers.... or they just fell over-board.

I plan to report any type of dispute on a ship's cabin. Abuse and domestic violence does happen on cruise ships between couples.

I once heard a man tell his wife real loud, "I hate you". I made sure I stayed away from them and what ever table they were sitting at for lunch or dinner. I had anytime dinning.

This story is strange because the man kept his dead wife in the cabin. I wonder if the cabin steward found her.

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyR. View Post

Winnetka is really Canoga Park, Calif. I used to live near Winnetka Ave. and Sherman way.

When I was on the Star Princess to Alaska.... one of the gals at our table who had a balcony said her neighbors next door were having a big fight at 2a.m. in the morning and woke her up. I told her she should have called security because that is how people throw eachother over-board the balconies.

I plan to report any type of dispute on a ship's cabin. Abuse and domestic violence does happen on cruise ships between couples.

I once heard a man tell his wife real loud, "I hate you". I made sure I stayed away from them and what ever table they were sitting at for lunch or dinner. I had anytime dinning.

This story is strange because the man kept his dead wife in the cabin. I wonder if the cabin steward found her.

According to the AOL news, a passenger reported that they thought the lady might be dead; so it makes it sound as if maybe a nearby cabin heard them fighting and then she got quiet and they never heard her again. It's a sad situation all around. I am sorry for her family that is left without her.

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Lucy R

small world , i used to live near winnetka and sherman way as well. the apartments called Whispering Pines.

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
initial reports are wrong half the time. Until a few day passes you will continue to get conflicting and wrong reports. rarely does a reported correct their misstatements. The essential facts are that she is dead and her husband is the suspect and under arrest all the rest is filler.
good points.

Nita
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013

Old July 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Dreamer, I used to live on the corner of Oso St. and Sherman way.
I live in Glendale, presently. But I still go to the DMV to take my driver's test.lol.
Here is my e-mail address lalucibell@yahoo.com
I used to work at Pierce College. Lucy

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hey Dreamer, I used to live on the corner of Oso St. and Sherman way.
I live in Glendale, presently. But I still go to the DMV to take my driver's test.lol.
Here is my e-mail address lalucibell@yahoo.com
I used to work at Pierce College. Lucy
How funny! I grew up near Sherman Way & Mason. Lived in La Crescenta, then Glendale and then left the state when I was 20. I was home a few years ago and we saw the old house.

Old July 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think anyone who does not report abuse, be it between husband and wife, or parents and children, neighbors or whomever ,needs to be aware that the abused needs someone to call the authorities!! Don't wait till all is quiet!! call at the first loud arguing, It really won't involve you in the situation, but could save a life.!

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM
TropicOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carri cruiser View Post
I think anyone who does not report abuse, be it between husband and wife, or parents and children, neighbors or whomever ,needs to be aware that the abused needs someone to call the authorities!! Don't wait till all is quiet!! call at the first loud arguing, It really won't involve you in the situation, but could save a life.!
Understand that loud arguing by itself is not any indication of abuse, especially when the people are strangers and you do not know what is really going on.MYOB.