Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cayman Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Private stingray tour advise

Hi All,
Need some advise on whether to take a morning or afternoon tour to stingray city. Our boar arrives at 8am and leaves at 4:30. Last tender is 3:45. I can get a tour starting at 11:30 coming back at 2:45, this would be easier to get off the ship, but I am concerned about the lines at the tender.
Should I go earlier, I know there might be some issues with getting off the ship without a Carnival cruise at this time, but I have not done that before.
Any advise would be great.
Thanks

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't been on a cruise stopping in Grand Cayman, but I have been in town enough afternoons to have witnessed the crowds. The first time I saw a lineup about 3 blocks long I thought...? WT??? ...Then I realized they were in lines for the tenders. Maybe it moves quickly, and maybe it's not always that bad, (surely worse when there's 6 or 7 ships in) but I've seen the lineups many times. So I would leave plenty of time to get back onboard.
Besides, a morning tour would probably be nicer. The water tends to be calmer in the morning and you might be better able to beat the other boats. I've done the shallow dive with stingrays, not the snorkel, but it was awesome. Amazing, graceful, gentle creatures.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

What did u mean that there might be issues with getting off the ship with a Carnival shore excursion?

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default WE just did GC and Stingray City....

The Conquest was there from 8-4. We booked with Stingray Sailing (which was FABULOUS BTW!! -- HIGHLY recommend them!)

WE were supposed to meet @ the dock by 8:15. We were NOT on the first tender out but were there by 7:45. We didn't make any special arrangements but still didn't have any trouble being on the 2nd tender out.

We were back in town by 12:30 and hung out the rest of the afternoon @ Margaritaville. They have a second-floor waterslide & small pool my son loved! And I could see him from my table inside!