Bringin Alcohol Onboard

MikeDMess

We are taking a cruise on the Diamond with some friends and want to take some alcohol on board. I know we are not supposed to bring it onboard, however, I am looking for anyone's recommendation on how they did it. Also read that you can buy bottles at the bar. Has anyone done this?

Just as easy and usually cheaper if you just pick up the phone and call room service. Only a few things are not available and it will run around $20 liter depending on what you are wanting to order. Delivered right to your cabin, no having to chance breakage in your luggage. ;)

I'll second Toto.

There are three ways you can purchase a bottle from Princess at very reasonable prices.

1. Order it in advance from the Princess using the form from their website.

2. Call room service

3. Go down to the lobby bar and pick it up.

The prices for all three a better than what I pay at home.

Scott

I personaly drink 18 year old scotch. i always bring one bottle with me in case the ship does not have it for sale. i have never had a problem in 20 past cruises bringing my own onboard. good luck and have a great cruise.

I also drink expensive Scotch, so here's what I do:

I purchased a back-pack type bag, with wheels and a handle you just pull along (it also has the shoulder straps if you want to wear it on your back). I wrap my bottles in bubble-wrap. I can fit 1 liter of Scotch and 2 bottles of champagne, along with a six-pack of soda. I just wheel that sucker right onboard!

The bag is terrific for souvenir shopping, too, as I acquire the room to put my purchases as my alcohol supply is consumed!

$37/litre for Jack Daniels is highway robbery, IMHO, but $32 for a litre of Grey Goose is comparable to what I pay at Trader Joe's in LA ($25.99 for 750 ml).

I think it is cheaper at Costco. I will have to check out the prices..

I also drink expensive Scotch, so here's what I do:

I purchased a back-pack type bag, with wheels and a handle you just pull along (it also has the shoulder straps if you want to wear it on your back). I wrap my bottles in bubble-wrap. I can fit 1 liter of Scotch and 2 bottles of champagne, along with a six-pack of soda. I just wheel that sucker right onboard!

The bag is terrific for souvenir shopping, too, as I acquire the room to put my purchases as my alcohol supply is consumed!

Where did you purchase the bag? Can it be bought online?

$37 for a Ltr. bottle of Jack Daniels? $20 if not on sale here in California!!:rolleyes: When on "sale" it is around $17 or $18.

Same price here. I'm not sure if I'd be nice enough to just call it highway robbery like some others, but I guess we have to keep it clean here. Are they NUTS? And they wonder why people want to bring their own.

My 2 best friends are Jack n Charlie. Daniels that is....

$37/litre for Jack Daniels is highway robbery, IMHO, but $32 for a litre of Grey Goose is comparable to what I pay at Trader Joe's in LA ($25.99 for 750 ml).
I'm all over "the Goose", the on board price will work for me. My SO will have to smuggle "the Jack" on board! ;) Perhaps if LARGIN buys that wheely thingy he will let me borrow it!!

Kruizer :D

I would love to bring a couple of my own bottles on board. I read in another post that maybe the best way to do this is to put it in your checked luggage. Does anyone agree or disagree with this? Any other creative ways to get it onboard without a lot of trouble? :)

I have never had a problem transporting liquor in my checked luggage, by first transferring it to a sturdy plastic water bottle such as Propel, Daisani, etc. That way if it gets knocked around a little it will not shatter like glass and you don't have to use wads of bubble wrap either.

cheers

Mike ;)

I am planning on packing it in my carry-on for the plane, but it has to be in its original container. Will get to FLL by 2:00 and have to rush to the port and change the liquor to the checked luggage. Is this possible? I know I will probably need to wrap it in something so it doesn't break. Any other thoughts?

:)

My husband carried a 24 pack onto the Diamond in October. No one said anything to him. He was glad he did as no one had his Old Style. He did drink Miller Lite on the ship. He had a hard time finding American beer in Mexico to bring back onto the ship.

Since wine gives me migraines, I'm pretty much limited to Vodka. My thought is that I'll put the vodka into a couple of smaller plastic wine bottles, then pack it in my checked luggage. I pack bottles of shampoo, perfume etc. all the time and it never gets broken in my luggage. Any potential problem with this strategy? I agree, $22.00 for a bottle of vodka is steep. I was going to purchase it in San Juan the day before, thinking it would be less than here.

I've brought liquor on in both my carry-on and checked baggage. I've bought plastic flasks at the liquor store. They come in sizes up to one liter (possibly larger, but I'm not sure). Never had a problem with them leaking, breaking, or being confiscated either. :D

Archived