Ban on posts to illegally bring liquor onboard an NCL ship.

Geobugs

Ban alcohol sneaking responses  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Ban alcohol sneaking responses

• Please, stop the alcohol sneaking posts.
    • Get real, let people share the secrets of alcohol hidding, its a free country.
    • Sneaking alcohol on board, I want to know how to sneak my kids on board.
    • The NCL liquor tax should be avoided at all costs. Do it!

On these forums, daily information is solicited about illegally sneeking alcohol on board the ship. These people know that this is a forbidden practice. Why does board members continue to provide covert ways of doing this? I want to suggest that these posts be locked/banned. How do you feel?

PS With the recent NBA incident in Detroit still looming in my mind, the media agrees that alcohol prompted the melee that occurred.

I tend to agree with your opinion that CCers shouldn't encourage others to break the rules. But I wouldn't go as far as banning the discussions since we're not talking about actual laws. They are merely cruise line policies.

I'm not sure I follow your logic in drawing a parallel between alcohol consumption onboard and what happened at the basketball game. Are you saying that you think that cruise ships should be alcohol-free? In most cases of alcohol smuggling that I have read about, it's not about quantity but selection of brands not available onboard as well as convenience. The elimination of alcohol smuggling is not going to result in the elimination of over-consumption by those who have a tendency to over-drink in the first place. If there is alcohol served in the bars, there will inevitably be some rowdiness by drunken louts. That's a sad fact of life. I just don't see how it relates to smuggling.

NCL can monitor alcohol consumption via the bar tab. If a particular bar served multiple drinks to a patron and that parton acts unlawfully, then the bar/bartender is partially liable. Sneeked alcohol has no accountability.

• Administrators

Cruise Critic does have "guidelines" regarding the discussion of illegal activities or breaking the law.

However, a cruise line policy is NOT a "law"....and we think it is very important that the issue be discussed in a public forum.

For each single person who will go ahead and bring the alcohol on board....there are literally hundreds who have read the information shared by our members and now know the truth...doing so is something that is frowned upon by the cruise lines. There are far more lurkers and newbies here than most of you imagine.

Laura

OK I'll never ask again how to illegally do it. So--any tips on the legal method of getting a keg on board?

LOL

-Monte

Dress it up as a baby and say shhh its sleeping and just roll it on board...but you will need a passport or birth cert :)

Dress it up as a baby and say shhh its sleeping and just roll it on board...but you will need a passport or birth cert :)

I think some brands are now printing a "born on date" on their labels. Wonder if they put one on the keg. That should be good enough don't ya think?

-Monte

I think some brands are now printing a "born on date" on their labels. Wonder if they put one on the keg. That should be good enough don't ya think?

-Monte

I would pass it myself if I was looking at the papers...

actually contrary to what is said above there is a federal law that applies that says its illegal to fail to follow the orders of the crew or cruise line(same as on an airplane)

Sneeked alcohol has no accountability.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe this statement is accurate. If a person sneaks alcohol onboard and subsequently drinks to the point where his actions result in unlawful activities (e.g., assaulting or harassing other cruisers), that person can be legally held accountable if the victim chooses to sue him.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a cruise line to enforce stricter guidelines with regard to drunken behavior, I'm all for it. But that has nothing to do with whether the alcohol is ship-provided or smuggled. If a cruiser's behavior is unacceptable, the cruise ship staff should step in, period. If your argument is that NCL doesn't enforce a strict enough policing of over-drinkers, I'm listening if you have anecdotal evidence to provide.

I would pass it myself if I was looking at the papers...

In that case, you would be invited to help me empty the keg. Let's set it up by the pool and make it a good 'ol fashion party. We'll set it in a tub of ice and tell the ships alcohol police that the baby has a high fever we must bring down.

-Monte

First of all, I can count on 2 hands the number of drinks I've had this year but the harder the drink police try to hassle me (luggage delayed while it's searched) the more determined I will be to beat them at their game and that's ALL it is folks, a game.

Any cruise line will let you get rip-roarin' drunk as long as you don't hassle other people AND as long as you buy liquor from them at their inflated prices.

Cruise lines arrange and sell 'booze cruise' shore excursions. Once, at a Royal Caribbean "Coco Key" stop they were pitching us Coco Locos at 9 in the morning ( ! ! ) with the catch phrase, "Co-co Lo-co! Never to early! Never to many!"

I, for one, do NOT need to drink to have a good time but many people seem to think ALL leisure activities, especially crusing, require alcohol. Cruise lines advertise and promote a party atmosphere.

Cruise ship "regulations" about bringing alcohol on board is 100% and only about money. If their prices weren't inflated they'd be every drinkers first choice for convenience sake.

My party will drink NCLs liquor in public spaces and brought-aboard liquor in our cabins. That's my reasonable compromise.

Is owning a handgun illegal? Then can we discuss the sneaking of a handgun on board for personal protection? Its a cruiseline policy to not bring guns onboard, is it against the law? What does maritime law state?

This is starting to get silly. Yes, owning a handgun may be legal in most U.S. jurisdictions. But it's illegal in many instances to carry a concealed (albeit legal) handgun in public. Chances are sneaking it onboard a cruise ship falls into that category. I'm more than willing to bet that it's illegal even if the gun happens to be licensed. In other words, the fact that a gun is licensed (legal) doesn't mean any use of the gun is legal.

I would be embarrassed to bring my own alcohol or sodas on board. I know a lot of people do it, but I wouldn't want people to think I can't afford to buy alcohol or sodas on my cruise.....don't get me wrong, I like to save money, just don't like to be thought of as a cheap.

The real issue for the cruise lines is not to discourage your alcohol consumption - drink all you want - keep on drinking - just buy it from us - even if you buy a bottle on board - they won't let you have it until the end of the cruise - WHY - do they want to keep you sober - no way - that bottle you purchased was very inexpensive - bring it home - buy your booze by the glass on board at like $3.75 to $7.50 per shot - we make alot more money this way - we really don't care how drunk you get - spend more money. Many of us do not appreciate this policy and try to avoid it by bringing a few bottles in our suitcase for enjoyment on our balcony late in the evening - this is not a crime - we also realize the possibility that the booze may be found and confiscated - we take that chance and we usually win. Most of us are more mature and not trouble makers - We're just alcoholics but we almost never get drunk.

I don't bring alcohol on board but I do bring soda's. That's not even against ships policy (unless it's changed recently). I only bring enough to last till the next port (where I restock) and they don't leave our stateroom. Only the wife & I drink them, and the kids get those $28 coke cards ($56 is a lot of coke for a week). As for what others might think of me (cheap) I could care less. Those are people who don't know me & I'll probably never see them again anyway.

-Monte

I would be embarrassed to bring my own alcohol or sodas on board. I know a lot of people do it, but I wouldn't want people to think I can't afford to buy alcohol or sodas on my cruise.....don't get me wrong, I like to save money, just don't like to be thought of as a cheap.

As far as the cruise lines are concerned a six pack of soda and a bottle of gin are the same - your not giving them your money - now don't get me wrong - I'm all for capitalism and making as much profit as you can - this is how I make a living and can afford to go on all my cruises - It's a little game we all play.

In 45 cruises I have never witnessed public drunkeness... If the cruise lines were not so excessive in their markup on soda and alcohol this would not be an issue... If cruise lines charged for coffee as they do for sodas there would be coffee smugglers as well...

Some lines used to sell alcohol onboard at reasonable markups.... $$$ that is the issue..

I think the whole issue about bringing booze onboard is that it cuts into the ships bottom line. however I belive they would serve the drinking public interest better if they would allow us to purchase in the ship store duty free and consume onboard if we choose. Sounds like a win win to me. opionions?

Archived