Does Carnival have a Consumption charge for buying liquor on board?

cablecrack

That is one thing that I am looking forward to on RCI. I do not like having to place liquor in my luggage and since RCI will allow you to buy it on board and take it back to your cabin for a surcharge which I understand brings the total amount of your bill to what you would pay here in the states, it will make things a lot easier. I wish that Carnival would allow this.

Cablecrack,

The way Carnival operates (at least on the Spirit) is that you can pick it up on the last full day at sea - you don't pick it up where you buy, but rather at the "perfume" counter - go figure. The stores open about 9:00 a.m., so can drink it the last day . . .

Tom

Here are a couple of option -- both against Carnival's stated policy, but rarely, if ever, policed:

1)smuggle your own liquor onboard in your checked baggage. Just don't check a case of vodka. Of course, you're still paying local retail, but not SHIP retail, which is considerably higher;

2)buy duty-free at a port of call, and 'forget' to check it in at the collection table upon reboarding. Again, don't expect to get by with several boxes marked 'LIQUOR'. But, a bottle or two in your bag is not likely to be noticed, especially if you board with a group. Just head directly for the elevator. The worst that can happen is that they stop you and you have to enjoy your cheap booze at home after your cruise.

Here are a couple of option -- both against Carnival's stated policy, but rarely, if ever, policed:

1)smuggle your own liquor onboard in your checked baggage. Just don't check a case of vodka. Of course, you're still paying local retail, but not SHIP retail, which is considerably higher;

2)buy duty-free at a port of call, and 'forget' to check it in at the collection table upon reboarding. Again, don't expect to get by with several boxes marked 'LIQUOR'. But, a bottle or two in your bag is not likely to be noticed, especially if you board with a group. Just head directly for the elevator. The worst that can happen is that they stop you and you have to enjoy your cheap booze at home after your cruise.

wont they find it in the metal detector

I should be well stocked before boring this cruise. I have sailed many times with the other cruise lines, this will be the first with Carnival. Port smuggling is fun game anyway (incase my stash gets low). And the bar tab is always out the roof so dont start flaming the rules thing. ;)

Archived