Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old August 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondeckatsea View Post
We put a hold on E401 this past Friday (Grand Princess) and from the diagrams it shows no lifeboats outside. There are several cabins like this and also some further back on the ship. Your pictures are showing a lot of machinery and paraphenalia outside. I'm wondering if it is the same on the Grand as on the Golden. Our travel agent did call Princess directly and they told her "they didn't know." Has anyone actually booked that cabin? I don't want to put a deposit on it until I actually know what gives. Thanks a lot. The pictures are a huge help.
We've booked E404 on the Grand for Jan. According to the photos posted here, there are walkways to get to the canisters holding the inflatable rafts. The canisters are below the sight line out the window. So it's not as bad as having one of the larger orange boats outside your window.
Itineraries: Caribbean (eastern, southern, western), Alaska (northbound, southbound, inside passage, 11-day out of SF), Hawaii, Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal transit (both directions), Europe (Rome to Copenhagen, eastern Mediterranean, Holland-Belgium river cruise), TA (England, Norway, Faeroes, Iceland, Greenland, Halifax, NYC), 2 TA (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen--9 ports in between), TA (England, Ireland, Greenland, Newfoundland, NYC),
TA (Venice, Italy, France, Spain Portugal, FLL), TA (Copenhagen, Oslo, Kristiansand, Greennock, Scotland, Halifax NS, Saint John NB, NYC)

Next cruise:
Sep. 2014 - Celebrity Eclipse RT from Southampton to western Mediterranean

Last edited by BarbinMich; August 30th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Thanks for your input Barb! There are no people I trust more than the cruisers on Cruise Critic. They're not selling anything, just giving truthful opinions and reviews. I've never had any bad information yet. We can live with the gear stored outside the porthole. Over the years, I swear, we've had cabins in the back of the ship, up front, up on the high decks, low decks, the "hump' on Royal, one inside (didn't like that one) balconies, and a suite. 22 in all. This time we are trying to save some money. The actual cabin doesn't "sell" the cruise for us. It's more the itinerary and the people who we cruise with. This will be our first Princess cruise. Most of the others have been Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and a couple of NCL. We are shopping around now after Royal kind of double crossed the loyal Diamond cruisers. After this one we might try Holland American.

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

not everyone has a suite !! thanks for the obstructed view pix....we are happy with our E623 so far on the Crown.....Dec 12 sailing. price was right. as long as i see daylight i am fine....the money in my pocket, the more cruises i can take

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our TA picked out our cabin on Golden for October 25 to Hawaii. We wanted to be on Emerald and had picked another cabin (I forget which one). She convinced us to change and we will be happy with out almost clear "obstructed view".

Thank you, your consideration is awesome!!

Jim

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default great job

thank you for posting; really gives us an idea of what to expect regarding obstructed cabins!

Old August 31st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cabin location

Has anyone stayed in E605 or E607? We're booked on the Star (Golden's sister) and they appear to have decent views from the deck plan.

Last cruise we were over the theatre and could hear the boom-boom of the late shows.

These cabins are over the photo gallery and the opposite side of the ship from the Wheelhouse Bar. Would music (vibration) from the bar be heard at night in these cabins?

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm still trying to imagine the amused steward wondering why you would want to take these photos!! Only a true CC member would understand!

2001 Crown Princess (the old one!), Panama Canal, partial transit
2001 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2003 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Celebrity Century, Western Caribbean
2005 Sun Princess, Southern Caribbean
2006 Benin and Egypt, 3 weeks, land vacation
2008 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera
2010 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean
2011 Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean
2011 Italy, 2.5 weeks, land vacation
2012 Island Princess, Panama Canal, partial transit
2012 Viking Emerald, China Cultural Delights
2013 Crown Princess, Western Caribbean
2013 Viking Rurik, Waterways of the Czars, Russia
2014 Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclelady View Post
I'm still trying to imagine the amused steward wondering why you would want to take these photos!! Only a true CC member would understand!
All the pictures were taken in about 35 minutes, so I was moving very quickly. I told the stewards that my friends wanted to see the view from the room. One finally asked, how many friends

Old August 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Kooljamming,
Thanks for posting the photos as we passed you in Tracy Arm. I know you were going to post a review but appears you didn't. I also have the same concerns you have about that. If there is anything negative, the attacks begin.We have always had a wonderful time on every cruise because we don't dwell on the bad stuff. Doing an honest review , should list everything.
We no longer cruise because of the fabulous meals. These days many meals are just so so. We go for the fun and we never starve.Also we cruise for the friendships made both before we cruise on the roll Call, and once on the ship. Cruise Critic has definetly added to our cruise experience.
San Diego Sue

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Pauline,
Love the updated profile pix. Your munchkins are going to challenge you - vertically. Beautiful family!!
Joyce

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego sue View Post
Kooljamming,
Thanks for posting the photos as we passed you in Tracy Arm. I know you were going to post a review but appears you didn't. I also have the same concerns you have about that. If there is anything negative, the attacks begin.We have always had a wonderful time on every cruise because we don't dwell on the bad stuff. Doing an honest review , should list everything.
We no longer cruise because of the fabulous meals. These days many meals are just so so. We go for the fun and we never starve.Also we cruise for the friendships made both before we cruise on the roll Call, and once on the ship. Cruise Critic has definetly added to our cruise experience.
San Diego Sue
This cruise was far from smooth sailing. However the trip was still one of discovering amazing beauty and meeting wonderful people. I have the pics of the Star on a huge poster board. Of all the pics (over 650) those top the list.

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinMich View Post
We've booked E404 on the Grand for Jan. According to the photos posted here, there are walkways to get to the canisters holding the inflatable rafts. The canisters are below the sight line out the window. So it's not as bad as having one of the larger orange boats outside your window.
Take care of that cabin, we're in it may/June after you!

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooljamming View Post
Here is my album of Obstructed view cabins. For those with concerns, these pics were taken while the cabins were vacant. Pictures were taken between 8 am and 8:36 am according to the cheap watch I was wearing at the time. The view might not be precise due to camera angle, inexperience photographer, and lightening but is a fair representation of what you will see. The aft balcony, cabin E730 with beam is included

http://travel.webshots.com/album/574160357udMMZr?start=0

There might be 40 -45 decent shots of the obstructed view.

Enjoy and Ciao

very cool. E404 (barring an upgrade to a Penthouse ) is our cabin in May/June and now we have an exact idea of what to expect out of our window! I believe the Grand and Golden are identical in so far as the Emerald deck is concerned.... for that matter most of the ship

Thanks

Last edited by A Sixth?; August 31st, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Old September 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sixth? View Post
Take care of that cabin, we're in it may/June after you!
We certainly will try! But I can't vouch for those in it between 1/29 and May Where all are you going next spring on the Grand?
Itineraries: Caribbean (eastern, southern, western), Alaska (northbound, southbound, inside passage, 11-day out of SF), Hawaii, Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal transit (both directions), Europe (Rome to Copenhagen, eastern Mediterranean, Holland-Belgium river cruise), TA (England, Norway, Faeroes, Iceland, Greenland, Halifax, NYC), 2 TA (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen--9 ports in between), TA (England, Ireland, Greenland, Newfoundland, NYC),
TA (Venice, Italy, France, Spain Portugal, FLL), TA (Copenhagen, Oslo, Kristiansand, Greennock, Scotland, Halifax NS, Saint John NB, NYC)

Next cruise:
Sep. 2014 - Celebrity Eclipse RT from Southampton to western Mediterranean

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sixth? View Post
very cool. E404 (barring an upgrade to a Penthouse ) is our cabin in May/June and now we have an exact idea of what to expect out of our window! I believe the Grand and Golden are identical in so far as the Emerald deck is concerned.... for that matter most of the ship

Thanks
You are welcome!