Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old November 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Box of wine

Hi all,
If I bring a box of wine on the ship in our luggage do you think they will take it? I am new to trying to bring wine on the ship. I am not sure how strict they are. I just figured that it won't break. We have a large group coming and it would be nice to have everybody up to our room for a few drinks every now and then. We have a suite on the Grandeur of the Seas. We will be driving into New Orleans, so pressure changes in the cargo area of a plane aren't a problem. How closely do they inspect your luggage? Thanks for the input. Take Care

Old November 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just pack it in your luggage. No problem!

Old November 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can tell you in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami I had no problems whatsoever bringing wine, etc. onboard...
Enchantment 2/06
Majesty 1/09
Freedom 8/09
Grandeur 12/13

Old November 28th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've taken a box of wine in my luggage everytime I cruised....no problem.
Voyager of the Seas (Bermuda) 5/2005
Voyager of the Seas (Bermuda) 11/2005
Explorer of the Seas (Southern Carribean) 11/2006

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks All...Take Care!!

Old November 28th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Jerrudy:
Do you pack it in your checked luggage or in your carry on? I was thinking it might be safer in my carry on.

Thanks,
Daisey

Old November 28th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

LOL! Now this takes the cake for the sneaking liquor on board threads. A box of wine??? I'd never have though of that . Where the heck is JC when you need him . Seriously, I bet they'd never even look, what with no bottles rattling around .
Carnival Celebration 12/96
NCL - Majesty 12/97
Celebrity Century 10/00
Carnival Imagination 10/01
Carnival Fascination 4/02
RCCL - Voyager 5/03
RCCL - Nordic Empress 11/03
RCCL - Brilliance 4/04
RCCL - Navigator 10/04 & 3/06
RCCL - Legend 3/05
RCCL - Enchantment 10/02 & 11/05
RCCL- Grandeur 10/98 & 1/06
RCCL- Majesty 9/06
RCCL- Jewel 3/07
RCCL- Sovereign 10/07
RCCL- Liberty 1/08

Old November 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
5,000+ Club

You know there are suppossedly some of the boxes these days that are drinkable. I haven't had a box a wine, since we did a friends pink elephant gift exchange and I was the owner of a box of pink Zin until I dumped it off on someone else!

jc

Put it in your luggage and it will get to your room.

1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, RCI Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/03, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/02, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/01, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/00, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/99, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/98, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/96
email me at xpcdoojk@yahoo.com
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis

Old November 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Smaller premium 3-liters boxes good too

I put one of the newer 3-liter smaller boxes of "premium" wines in my checked luggage and had no problems. This amount might be sufficient for shorter cruises and won't weigh as much as the typical 5-liter. Plus, a box is MUCH LESS likely to break or look/sound like alcohol bottles.

Besides, if you're a lightweight drinker like me, you can always create wine coolers with orange juice (ordered with breakfast room service) or other beverages. That way the actual taste of the cheaper wine won't be as apparent. If you have some left at the end of the cruise and don't want to pack it, you're not losing much by tossing the leftovers in the trash. Cheers!

Old November 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess you learn something new every day. What is a box of wine? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't think I have ever heard of it.
Monarch 10/00
Rhapsody 8/01
Voyager 10/02
Grandeur 10/31/03
Serenade 10/18/04
Jewel 9/12/05
Jewel 10/31/06
Serenade 10/05/07
Radiance 9/12/08

Old November 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Try it, it's not bad!

Consumer Reports recently did an article about boxed wines, (either the Aug. or Sept. issue) and rated some of them. Their recommendation was for a brand called Black Box, which comes in a chardonnay, cabernet, and merlot. Costs $20.00 in my local package store for a 3 liter box (equal to 4 bottles). I am a wine drinker, and I gotta tell you, it's not bad. Much, much better than that white zin that Franzia calls wine! Yuk! A box of the chardonnay will definitely be accompanying me in my suitcase on my next cruise. No corkscrew needed! Try it - let me know what you think!

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

This year on NOS I took a box of wine. The best thing I ever did. No heavy bottles. It lasted all week. I had a few glasses a day. To prepare for next year I have to taste test some boxes to see what is the best. It does not take up space. Best thing ever....

I wrapped it in clear plastic just in case of an accident. No one questioned me or bothered it. They will be going with me from now on.
Explorer Of The Seas
Navigator Of The Seas
Adventure Of The Seas
Freedom Of The Seas
Explorer Of The Seas Vow Renewal Aug 2007
Explorer Of The Seas April 2009 12 days of fun
Serenade Of The Seas June 2010
Explorer Of The Seas August 14, 2010
Explorer Of The Seas December 2011
Explorer Of The Seas March 2013
Explorer Of The Seas December 2013

Old November 28th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

I just saw on another cruise website, someone suggested gift wrapping a box of wine to smuggle on board in birthday paper and if you get questioned about it say it's for a friend or relative you are visiting in one of the ports. pretty clever although i was on a cruise last june and I had a soft sided rolling cooler that i put a bottle of wine and lots of diet coke in, put it right on the conveyor belt, for screening and nobody questioned it, it couldn't have been more obvious so i don't really think they cared. We bought some bailey's in ST. Thomas and they took that from us and held it till the end of the cruise. I didn't really want it for the ship anyway, but i wanted to know what I could get away with so i had to try. I wonder if the boxes of wine would fit in the refridgerators they have in the rooms they are pretty small if i remember, (i Like my wine cold).
have fun smuggling!

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelady
Consumer Reports recently did an article about boxed wines, (either the Aug. or Sept. issue) and rated some of them. Their recommendation was for a brand called Black Box, which comes in a chardonnay, cabernet, and merlot. Costs $20.00 in my local package store for a 3 liter box (equal to 4 bottles). I am a wine drinker, and I gotta tell you, it's not bad. Much, much better than that white zin that Franzia calls wine! Yuk! A box of the chardonnay will definitely be accompanying me in my suitcase on my next cruise. No corkscrew needed! Try it - let me know what you think!
I am sure that some of the new ones are quite drinkable, but I haven't tried any yet. I will give the Black box ones a try sometime. However, I have found Consumer reports to be almost worthless, due to their cheap is better mentality. Don't get me wrong rating something that is cheap as being acceptable is fine, but when they say something inferior is better because it is cheap that is unacceptable semantics that makes them not worthwhile for me.

jc

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default wine in Miami

Speaking of wine..we would like to purchase some really nice wine in South Beach to take on the ship. Does anyone know where in SoBe we can get some?
Carnival Imagination 12/2006
Carnival Liberty 01/2008
Emerald Princess Feb 18/2009
Norwegian Dawn March 12/2010
Carnival Destiny Sept 2/2010
Carnival Magic Jan1/2012
Norwegian Epic Nov 2012
Celebrity Reflection Jan 2013

Old November 30th, 2004, 09:48 AM
5,000+ Club

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy Anne
Speaking of wine..we would like to purchase some really nice wine in South Beach to take on the ship. Does anyone know where in SoBe we can get some?
There is a Drugstore, on the corner of Collins and whatever the road is that brings you over the bridge from Bayside, that we ran in and picked some up at a few years ago. I am sure some Miami resident would be able to direct you to better stores if you were to post a new topic. I circled the block while my buddy and the ladies went in and bought a mixed case. That was our first cruise in 96 (we have been there since) when my buddy put the red wine and champagne in his scuba suitcase and one of the bottles of red wine broke and his wet suit and scuba equipment was soaked in Red wine. He washed it off as best he could in the shower, but I was concerned that sharks might like cabernet sauvignon when we made our first dive in Grand Cayman. Since then we always take a waterproof float bag, and bubble wrap. Wrap bottles well, and place inside waterproof float bag, seal properly and then put the bag in the scuba suitcase. Never a problem since!

jc