Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > What Ever Happened To........???

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

What Ever Happened To........??? A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.

Old November 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Question Where is the Emerald Seas?

We sailed on the Emerald Seas in the early 80's when it was owned by Eastern Steamship Co. I know that the ship went to Admiral, but where is it now? We have lots of great memories of that ship.

Katie

Old November 29th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Well - try this...

Emerald Seas - shamelessly stolen from Maritime matters. She doesn't appear to have been scrapped yet, but she is rumored to be destined for the breakers.

Old November 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Thanks so much for the site. It was really interesting. I haven't ever known the history of a ship I had been on as most of them were new ones. Thanks again.

Katie

Old December 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

i was on the ship 4 times in thelate80s early 90s, boy we had fun. still have all my papers on it. I was told it is to be a floating hotel and or it is for sale.

Old December 9th, 2004, 09:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Leatherneck

We too sailed many, many times aboard the Emerald Seas. One of the things we always found fasinating, was the fact that there were probably no two cabins alike. Once you found a really good, big one, you always tried to get the same one again, because you never knew what you'd get if you took "pot luck" on cabin assignment! Great memorys aboard the Seas, and also the old Flavia!

Happy sailing
Ken

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Emerald Sea's was beached recently in Alang, India. This report come directly from Kumar Steal in India. She is in the process of being stripped of her furnishings.

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

we had the suite on the seas wow was that a nitemare, so small and it smelled, but we still had fun

Old March 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM
10,000+ Club

I worked for Eastern Steamship Lines when they had the Emerald Seas. It is so tru about the cabins and I think I had one of every type and we were aboard many, many times.

She was a good product for her time and I personally miss the smaller ships!

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Our first cruise, and second, was on the Emerald Seas. I loved that ship, maybe because it was our first. I had asked the same question a few years ago and someone posted all this history about her. It may have been before the boads switched over so you may not be able to do a search on it to find it, but I miss that ship, too.

You know it initially was a WWII trooper carrier!

To view album photos, click the left arrow and go backwards to keep photos in order.
Click on the photo for my 2014 Fantasy photos:

Click on the photo for my 2014 Carnival Liberty photos Leaving Miami photo IMG_3749.jpg

Click here for Carnival Liberty Deck Party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHjkFLQ0MU

Visit my website at http://cruisejunkie.zoomshare.com/
Past/Upcoming Cruises:
1990: Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas ~ 1991: Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas ~ 1992: Dolphin Cruise Lines Dolphin ~ 1996: Carnival Fantasy ~ 1998: RCCL Sovereign of the Seas ~ 2000: RCCL Sovereign of the Seas ~ 2001: NCL Norway ~ 2002: Celebrity Century ~ 2003: Carnival Paradise ~ 2003: Carnival Triumph ~ 2004: Carnival Triumph ~ 2005: Celebrity Horizon ~ 2005: Star Princess ~ 2006: Golden Princess ~ 2007: Carnival Destiny ~ 2007: NCL Pride of America ~ 2008: Carnival Liberty ~ 2009: Carnival Liberty ~ 2009: Celebrity Summit ~ 2009: Crown Princess ~ 2010: RCI Serenade of the Seas ~ 2011: Golden Princess ~ 2011: Carnival Fantasy ~ 2012: Carnival Fantasy ~ 2012: Carnival Liberty ~ 2013: RCI Oasis of the Seas ~ 2013: Carnival Fantasy ~ 2014: Carnival Liberty X2 ~ 2014: Carnival Fantasy

Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Seems as though we all enjoyed that ship. I think you are right about the memories. It sure was a lot of fun.

Katie

Old May 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

First cruise for DH, SIL, BIL, and myself. We thought the ship was huge! LOL We partied hard, and got a taste of conch. What an adventure. Didn't know the cabins were different. We had one with four berths and a very large picture window, we thought it was the best.

Old June 20th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face Emerald Seas in 1992

I remember the Emerald Seas in 1992 - I was on my very first cruise -- with my parents and my aunt.
I thought it was a beautiful ship.

Cruise History
Carnival Liberty: 07/07/07 (Costa Rica, Panama, Costa Maya)
Carnival Valor: 07/31/05 (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

Carnival Fantasy: 12/03/00 (Nassau, Freeport)
Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas: 07/92 (Nassau, Freeport, Coco Cay)

Old June 20th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Isn't that funny how we all have different memories. We sailed her and the sister ship Azure Seas when they were part of the admiral fleet.

Old June 30th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Emerald Seas was our first cruise.It was one classy ship owned by a classy
cruise line.
We also were on the Azore Seas when Admiral Cruise line took it over what fond memories we have of those two cruise ships.Now it is megaliners and
thousands of passengers on a one week vacation I'm not altogether sure if bigger does make it better.But small ship big ship as long as it is a ship it's the way to travel and see a lot of this world without a lot packing and unpacking and thats for me.
emmylou

Old July 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Nov. 1991

Our first cruise was on Emerald Seas! We were celebrating a special anniversary. In Coco Cay, the weather became so bad the tenders had to come in early- and we were pretty scared coming back to the ship. What was so fascinating was the staff were the entertainers for the cruise. The CD was Kirk Detweiler, now with RCCL ( although his bio doesn't mention that) We thought we had found the best way to take a vacation and continue to cruise as often as possible!

Old July 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love the historys of ships

Here are 2 interesting links on ths ship
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/ChandrisAtlantis.html
http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/diverdan.htm

Vision of the Seas 10/16/05
Vision of the Seas 10/10/04

Old July 8th, 2005, 08:04 PM
5,000+ Club

OneFunnyGirl,
This was the most interesting piece of information I have read on the Emerald Seas. It's really funny, because the Emerald was the third cruise I sailed on. I sailed on many of her cruises and then switched to Celebrity. This line was also owned by Chandris, thus the huge X on the stacks. Celebrity was sold to Royal Caribbean, as was the Emerald Seas. Funny how things go around. Thanks so much for the info.

Katie

Old July 10th, 2005, 07:24 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Ringer
Our first cruise was on Emerald Seas! We were celebrating a special anniversary. In Coco Cay, the weather became so bad the tenders had to come in early- and we were pretty scared coming back to the ship. What was so fascinating was the staff were the entertainers for the cruise. The CD was Kirk Detweiler, now with RCCL ( although his bio doesn't mention that) We thought we had found the best way to take a vacation and continue to cruise as often as possible!
Kirk was on AOS last year and I knew I remembered him from somewhere!

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old September 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lots of memories

I am sad to hear that she is gone. My family sailed her 13 times in the early-mid 80's. Many of the staff knew us by name, and the ship was like a giant clubhouse to a pre-teen boy. I have sailed many of former NCL ships as well and they seem to have much more sense of 'adventure' than the newer era ships.

Old September 17th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Hello!!

Emerald Seas was our first cruise and we were hooked!!! It was our first time away from the kids and we had such a good time!! The TA convinced us to try cruising and it was great!! We had paid $250pp for ROH and had a great room. The floor though did warp downward and we did have a port hole!!!!We are now hopelessly addicted to cruising and will be sailing on our 8th cruise in April.

Barbara