Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


 

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Bigtex1622's Avatar
Bigtex1622 Bigtex1622 is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,870
Talking top in gulf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Port Backs Cruise Lines Law Suit

Thanks JJSMaine, I loved the line in the article:

Since 2000, when Carnival Cruise Lines began sailing from the island, Galveston has become the top cruise port in the Gulf of Mexico.

I wish RCCL would see this article!!!
__________________
When LuteFisk is outlawed,
Only outlaws will have LuteFisk


Jun 12 2000 Sun Princess Suite D751
Feb 28 2009 Carnival Fantasy Suite V5
April 11 2010 Royal's Voyager Royal Family Suite 9394
April 17 2011 Royal's Voyager Grand Suite 1324
April 8 2012 Royal's Mariner Owner Suite 1328
May 12 2013 Carnival Magic Grand Suite 7321 Inside 7421
Aug 31 2014 Royal's Navigator Virtual Balcony 1345
Reply With Quote

  #102  
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:10 PM
jewopaho's Avatar
jewopaho jewopaho is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by restasured View Post
Actually the taxi fare from Intercontinental Airport is about $40.
Taken from Cruise Critic information on Galveston:
"Taxi service from both airports is another option. A typical fare from Hobby is $75, and from George Bush Intercontinental, about $100. The port is 40 minutes from Hobby, 90 minutes from Intercontinental."

Hertz didn't reopen its Galveston facility after Hurricane Ike. It's either Enterprise and its $100 dropoff charge or nothing.

Carnival's "eastern Caribbean" itinerary consists of stops in Key West and Nassau. The western route is the usual Cozumel/GrandCayman/Jamaica. The VOS stops at Roatan, Costa Maya and Coz. There's nothing to attract passengers who don't live close by, or can't fly into Hobby. None of the ships are new, the itineraries are ordinary, and the venue is small. It's definitely worth going to NASA (20-25 minutes up the road), but that would require coming in a day in advance, or staying a day beyond (assuming that the ships sail on Sundays).

I enjoy sailing out of Galveston, as it's a 40-minute ride from my home ... but given the obstacles, I wouldn't think that another full-time ship is in the immediate future.
Reply With Quote

  #103  
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
BallFour4's Avatar
BallFour4 BallFour4 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,706
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeship View Post
During the Q&A time at C&A party I asked about the another ship for Galveston. The answer was "NO" do to the uncertainy of the weather, ie hurricanes, during the late summer & fall months.


Galveston has been devastated with two hurricaines since cruising came to the mass market customer. Alecia in 1983 and Ike in last year. What an epidemic

Do you imply that hurricanes do not come to other ports? Please... get the facts before you rag on a port.

The Port of Galveston was not down for long after Ike and remains today a viable departure site for many cruise passengers.


.
__________________

Carnival Mardi Gras 1976 - Carnival Triumph 2014. Twenty-Eight others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Magic, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing ports from Canada to the Caribbean.

One hand on the starboard rail...

Reply With Quote

  #104  
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
BallFour4's Avatar
BallFour4 BallFour4 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
Port of Houston, owns Port of Galveston I don't think that will happen

That'd be a no there sparky...
__________________

Carnival Mardi Gras 1976 - Carnival Triumph 2014. Twenty-Eight others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Magic, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing ports from Canada to the Caribbean.

One hand on the starboard rail...

Reply With Quote

  #105  
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
BallFour4's Avatar
BallFour4 BallFour4 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,706
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewopaho View Post
You're right ... if you're referring to Hobby International. The only airline that flies there with any regularity is Southwest. JetBlue, AirTran and Delta have limited service.
You had better tell the American Airlines and folks that spend their days there that. Hobby airport is thriving, and up in passenger departures.

Please don't speculate... Know the facts
__________________

Carnival Mardi Gras 1976 - Carnival Triumph 2014. Twenty-Eight others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Magic, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing ports from Canada to the Caribbean.

One hand on the starboard rail...

Reply With Quote

  #106  
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
parrotthead's Avatar
parrotthead parrotthead is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Landlocked in Texas
Posts: 5,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusry View Post

Galveston has been devastated with two hurricaines since cruising came to the mass market customer. Alecia in 1983 and Ike in last year. What an epidemic

Do you imply that hurricanes do not come to other ports? Please... get the facts before you rag on a port.

The Port of Galveston was not down for long after Ike and remains today a viable departure site for many cruise passengers.


.
Right! NOla has had its share of hurricanes too. As other ports have. I can not see where any business would say that due to hurricanes they would not do business in a certin port.
__________________
Kandy (& Doreen)
and Traveling GingerTot Kinley
-------------------------------------------------------------
*Magic -- 12/1/2013 - GingerTots 5th! -- He's Gold and only 2 yrs old!!
*Sunshine-US Inaugural-- 11/18/2013- GingerTots 4th
*Triumph-Western Carib--1/28/2013-GignerTot's 3rd Cruise (overnight in Progreso..again)
*Magic-Western Carib--10/2012-GignerTot's 2nd Cruise! (along w/ Mumsa)
~LandCruise--Minnesota--8/2012~
~LandCruise--Ohio--6/2012~
*Triumph-Western Carib-2/2012-GingerBaby's 1st Cruise! (along w/budi)
*Magic-Inagurual out of Galveston-w/overnight in Progreso- 11/14/11~GREAT Fun!
~Kinley Allen -the "Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" 5/26/11~
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--2/2011- w/ Friends!
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--1/2011- Girls&JellyBean
~"LandCruise"~NiagaraFalls,Canada~to get Married~10/2010~
*Conquest-Western Carib--8/2010- 'the cruise about nothing'
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--3/2010- Fun w/ Family/Friends!!
*Enchatnment of the Seas-Western Caribbean--10/20009
*Ecstasy-Western Caribbean--9/2009
*Conquest-Western Caribbean--4/2009~"last ship outta Mexico cruise"
*Ecstasy-Western Caribbean--9/2008~Chased by Ike
*Ecstasy-Cozumel--1/2008~Extended Due to Fog
*Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas--10/2006
*Serenade of the Seas-Alaska/Canada--7/2006
*Splendour of the Seas-Caribbean--4/2006
~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~

Up Next:
Triumph - 2/20/14
Triumph - 9/22/2014
Dream - 11/16/2014
Reply With Quote

  #107  
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM
parrotthead's Avatar
parrotthead parrotthead is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Landlocked in Texas
Posts: 5,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by restasured View Post
Actually the taxi fare from Intercontinental Airport is about $40. It costs more than that to get from Orlando to Port Canaveral. It takes about 40 minutes which is less about the same as Orlando to Port Canaveral and they seem to be doing very well.
It cost us almost $20 to get to FortLauderdale Airport from Port Evergaldes last week....---> 3 miles!!!
__________________
Kandy (& Doreen)
and Traveling GingerTot Kinley
-------------------------------------------------------------
*Magic -- 12/1/2013 - GingerTots 5th! -- He's Gold and only 2 yrs old!!
*Sunshine-US Inaugural-- 11/18/2013- GingerTots 4th
*Triumph-Western Carib--1/28/2013-GignerTot's 3rd Cruise (overnight in Progreso..again)
*Magic-Western Carib--10/2012-GignerTot's 2nd Cruise! (along w/ Mumsa)
~LandCruise--Minnesota--8/2012~
~LandCruise--Ohio--6/2012~
*Triumph-Western Carib-2/2012-GingerBaby's 1st Cruise! (along w/budi)
*Magic-Inagurual out of Galveston-w/overnight in Progreso- 11/14/11~GREAT Fun!
~Kinley Allen -the "Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" 5/26/11~
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--2/2011- w/ Friends!
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--1/2011- Girls&JellyBean
~"LandCruise"~NiagaraFalls,Canada~to get Married~10/2010~
*Conquest-Western Carib--8/2010- 'the cruise about nothing'
*Ecstasy-Western Carib--3/2010- Fun w/ Family/Friends!!
*Enchatnment of the Seas-Western Caribbean--10/20009
*Ecstasy-Western Caribbean--9/2009
*Conquest-Western Caribbean--4/2009~"last ship outta Mexico cruise"
*Ecstasy-Western Caribbean--9/2008~Chased by Ike
*Ecstasy-Cozumel--1/2008~Extended Due to Fog
*Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas--10/2006
*Serenade of the Seas-Alaska/Canada--7/2006
*Splendour of the Seas-Caribbean--4/2006
~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~^~~~~

Up Next:
Triumph - 2/20/14
Triumph - 9/22/2014
Dream - 11/16/2014
Reply With Quote

  #108  
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
TMFNYC's Avatar
TMFNYC TMFNYC is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Woodlands- Texas
Posts: 120
Default Memories...

Wow, I must say this forum has really bought back memories. My first ever cruise was out of Galveston and on Rhapsody. I enjoyed her so much, I booked another the moment I returned to land.

It would be great, if they slapped on those bull horns and put her back where she has made so many people happy... Texas of course.

Splendour was great also- but it wasn't Rhapsody. Voyager was nice and different- but I found it to be a little large to master.

I have been Loyal to Royal... but having another RCCL choice in Galveston would make so many cruisers happy. I am sure a lot of 1st time cruisers found their love of cruising on Rhapsody of the seas. So please bring her back home.

~James
__________________
Rhapsody of the Seas- Sailed on September 15th, 2002

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sailed on September 14th, 2003





Cruise Ship - Ticker
Reply With Quote

  #109  
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Tucker in Texas Tucker in Texas is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,885
Default

When both the Rhapsody and the Sovereign were here, they did 10 (maybe 12) day cruises down to the Panama Canal on the SOS every now and then. How I wish I had taken advantage of them. Many of us retirees like the longer cruises. Unfortunately, husband was still working at NASA.

As for hurricanes, what a bunch of bull twickie. The Galveston Port wasn't closed down near as long as NOLA was after Katrina. That was the first hurricane that landed here since 1983. Rita was aiming for us but then went East and it was business as usual in Galveston without a hic-up. I was one of those that questioned that Galveston could get the port up and running by December 1st and I ate dirt.

Tucker in Texas
Reply With Quote

  #110  
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
buckanear buckanear is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker in Texas View Post
I was one of those that questioned that Galveston could get the port up and running by December 1st and I ate dirt.
It was certainly no easy feat! I don't like how the Bayport terminal is set up and so I was very happy that the finished terminal 2
__________________
What a pirate pays for corn


Protected by the Witness Protection Program
Reply With Quote

  #111  
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Tucker in Texas Tucker in Texas is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseloverandagent View Post
It was certainly no easy feat! I don't like how the Bayport terminal is set up and so I was very happy that the finished terminal 2
Heard good things about the Bayport terminal other than the parking was inadequate. Not my problem, 17 minutes, I can get my "worthless" son to drive me there (lol).

Tucker in Texas
Reply With Quote

  #112  
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
bilyclub's Avatar
bilyclub bilyclub is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago, under a glide path to 27L,ORD
Posts: 2,165
Default

Hertz is out ? Thanks for the info. That takes Galveston out of my plans...No way to get out of town on a Sunday.
__________________
Magesty,Mariner,Navigator,Legend,Freedom,
Brilliance,Voyager, Adventure, Freedom, Oasis,Allure, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Allure
Reply With Quote

  #113  
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
buckanear buckanear is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker in Texas View Post
Heard good things about the Bayport terminal other than the parking was inadequate. Not my problem, 17 minutes, I can get my "worthless" son to drive me there (lol).

Tucker in Texas
It worked fine with the Ecstasy, but the problem is the setup for larger groups. Because there are chairs lined up throughout the entire terminal you can't weave guests in the queue inside the terminal, they were lined up along the wall and so there was a lot of wasted space. The alternative is to seat people in chairs, either in order or by groups, and do a stagered check-in, but that can present some logistical problems.

The chairs are great when boarding is delayed and no one's going anywhere anytime soon, but they can also be a hurdle when they're right smack dab in the middle. Another thing they did was put the counters really close to the wall making movement more difficult.

Another thing I didn't care for was that the path for guests was circular. You went out in the same area that you came in instead of starting on one end and ending up at another. This just seemed inefficient.

It's a gorgeous terminal, I just didn't care for the setup. It also would have been nice if they had put padding under the carpet in the checkin area. If I have to be on my feet all day, it would be nice for my feet not to kill me. I can also say that about Galveston. Another thing they did, from the standpoint of an agent, was that the counters were really close to the wall making movement behind the counters harder. You had to stand against the wall to allow people to pass.

I know I should like it and encourage RCI to go there since I live in Webster and it's much easier to get to, but I just didn't care for it.
__________________
What a pirate pays for corn


Protected by the Witness Protection Program

Last edited by buckanear; October 28th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #114  
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Tucker in Texas Tucker in Texas is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseloverandagent View Post
It worked fine with the Ecstasy, but the problem is the setup for larger groups. Because there are chairs lined up throughout the entire terminal you can't weave guests in the queue inside the terminal, they were lined up along the wall and so there was a lot of wasted space. The alternative is to seat people in chairs, either in order or by groups, and do a stagered check-in, but that can present some logistical problems.

The chairs are great when boarding is delayed and no one's going anywhere anytime soon, but they can also be a hurdle when they're right smack dab in the middle. Another thing they did was put the counters really close to the wall making movement more difficult.

Another thing I didn't care for was that the path for guests was circular. You went out in the same area that you came in instead of starting on one end and ending up at another. This just seemed inefficient.

It's a gorgeous terminal, I just didn't care for the setup. It also would have been nice if they had put padding under the carpet in the checkin area. If I have to be on my feet all day, it would be nice for my feet not to kill me. I can also say that about Galveston. Another thing they did, from the standpoint of an agent, was that the counters were really close to the wall making movement behind the counters harder. You had to stand against the wall to allow people to pass.

I know I should like it and encourage RCI to go there since I live in Webster and it's much easier to get to, but I just didn't care for it.
Interesting post, Erica. Maybe if they did open it full time, some of these problems can be solved. Considering they hadn't used the terminal before nor did they have a whole lot of time to prepare, you know there had to be some cracks in the system (lol).

When we went on the Navigator of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale, embarkation was delayed because the computers were down. They had us seated in chairs in order that we came in. When the computers came up, they then called us row by row in the order we came in. That seemed to work well in spite of some Platinums, Diamonds, Diamond+ complaining about not having an exclusive area for them to wait and priority boarding. I am a Diamond and it didn't bother me but you know how testy some people can get. While we were waiting, those that would have been behind the counter checking in people circulated offering to get people juice or water which I thought was very nice. The staff handling it were very patient and kept us informed throughout the wait. The good news was that as soon as we got on, the cabins were ready.

Tucker in Texas
Reply With Quote

  #115  
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
bmazzo bmazzo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewopaho View Post
Taken from Cruise Critic information on Galveston:
"Taxi service from both airports is another option. A typical fare from Hobby is $75, and from George Bush Intercontinental, about $100. The port is 40 minutes from Hobby, 90 minutes from Intercontinental."

Hertz didn't reopen its Galveston facility after Hurricane Ike. It's either Enterprise and its $100 dropoff charge or nothing.

Carnival's "eastern Caribbean" itinerary consists of stops in Key West and Nassau. The western route is the usual Cozumel/GrandCayman/Jamaica. The VOS stops at Roatan, Costa Maya and Coz. There's nothing to attract passengers who don't live close by, or can't fly into Hobby. None of the ships are new, the itineraries are ordinary, and the venue is small. It's definitely worth going to NASA (20-25 minutes up the road), but that would require coming in a day in advance, or staying a day beyond (assuming that the ships sail on Sundays).

I enjoy sailing out of Galveston, as it's a 40-minute ride from my home ... but given the obstacles, I wouldn't think that another full-time ship is in the immediate future.

From Someone who has cruised from Many Ports. Galveston by far was the most inconvenient to sail to and from. We eventually wound up renting a car and keeping it parked at a Best Western hotel for an entire week to conveniently get back to Intercontinental Airport. Similar itineraries out of Ft Lauderdale, or Miami with much lower airfare. The drive,(with no traffic) is over 90 minutes so planning is the key. Given the low cruise fares out of Galveston, I'd take that as an indication that another ship isn't in the works. BTW Rapsody of the Seas makes a fortune in the Souh pacific and Austrailia. There is definately a growth opportunity there.
__________________





Sep 13, 2004 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Dec 06, 2004 RCCL Monarch of the Seas
Jan. 22, 2005 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
May 07, 2005 RCCL Granduer of the Seas
Jun 14, 2005 Carnival Triumph
Sep 11, 2005 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
Dec 05, 2005 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Feb 27, 2006 RCCL Splendour of the Seas
Apr 26, 2006 Celebrity Constellation
Oct 24, 2006 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
Feb 05, 2007 Celebrity Century
May 05, 2007 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
Oct 05, 2007 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Dec 03, 2007 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Feb 11, 2008 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
Apr 27, 2008 RCCL Adventure of the Seas
Sep 09, 2008 Celebrity Constellation
Dec 01, 2008 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
Mar 09, 2009 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
Sep 07, 2009 RCCL Majesty of the seas (B2B)
Sep 11, 2009 RCCl Majesty of the Seas
Nov 07, 2009 RCCL Radiance of The Seas
Mar 01, 2010 Celebrity Century
Oct 04, 2010 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Nov 07, 2010 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Jan 22, 2011 RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Apr 18, 2011 RCCL Mariner of the Seas
Oct 23, 2011 Celebrity Summit
Jan 03, 2012 RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Mar 24, 2012 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
Oct 29, 2012 NCL Norwegean Sky
Dec 03, 2012 Celebrity Reflection
Feb 01, 2013 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
Apr 24, 2013 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
Oct 19, 2013 Celebrity Summit
Jan 18, 2014 RCCL Vision of the Seas
Reply With Quote

  #116  
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
buckanear buckanear is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 1,420
Default

LoL, yes I do know!

What Bayport did was they designed the checkin area so that its impossible to have a seperate seating area. There's no room on the sides to put chairs so the queue can be in the middle. It's very weird. It seems that the checkin area is smaller than that in terminal 2 in Galveston. I don't know if its because of how its setup or if it actually is smaller. I'm thinking that it is actually smaller because the counters go along two walls instead of one. Too make it worse, they bought the chairs that are connected together, like long benches.

One more nitpick about the terminal. Sorry! The counters are impossibly short! It hurts your back to be stooped over all the time.

I don't want to sound like ninny, I really liked a lot of things about the terminal. It was gorgeous and I loved being surrounded by windows and seeing the ship. It had a nice breakroom (after we finally got running water) and storage area to put your lunch and belongings.
__________________
What a pirate pays for corn


Protected by the Witness Protection Program
Reply With Quote

  #117  
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Rancher Dave's Avatar
Rancher Dave Rancher Dave is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,178
Default

The port pilot article is interesting. If I recall the Houston Pilots were offering a big discount to the lines to use the new terminal.

If I were a pilot I would have to sail Houston instead of Galveston...pays better from what I have heard.

The extra sailing time is likely negligible overall...may affect when you arrive at first port but seems many of the RCCL returns are 2 days at sea before arriving back heare and not at full speed...so returns would work out just fine.

It will be good once RCCL puts another ship here.
__________________
Rancher Dave





RCCL Diamond Plus / Celebrity Elite / Princess Elite / Disney
Reply With Quote

  #118  
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Tucker in Texas Tucker in Texas is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseloverandagent View Post
LoL, yes I do know!

What Bayport did was they designed the checkin area so that its impossible to have a seperate seating area. There's no room on the sides to put chairs so the queue can be in the middle. It's very weird. It seems that the checkin area is smaller than that in terminal 2 in Galveston. I don't know if its because of how its setup or if it actually is smaller. I'm thinking that it is actually smaller because the counters go along two walls instead of one. Too make it worse, they bought the chairs that are connected together, like long benches.

One more nitpick about the terminal. Sorry! The counters are impossibly short! It hurts your back to be stooped over all the time.

I don't want to sound like ninny, I really liked a lot of things about the terminal. It was gorgeous and I loved being surrounded by windows and seeing the ship. It had a nice breakroom (after we finally got running water) and storage area to put your lunch and belongings.
You would think when they were designing the terminal (probably with an architect that had never set food in a ship's terminal), they would have hired someone that actually worked in one to find out what works and what doesn't. You don't need an architectural degree for that anymore than to be a rocket scientist to figure out that you need twice as many Ladies rooms as Men's rooms at a large venue.

I remember back in the dark ages when I did temp secretarial work I would arrive at a job where they would plunk a typewriter down on an office desk and tell me to have at it. Most of the time it was a manual typewriter that had been sitting in a store room so the first hour was cleaning off the dust. You cannot type efficiently on a typewriter at office desk level, it needs to be lower. I sat on many a phone book trying to get the height I needed.

We went on the NCL Sky when it was first launched. Three small drawers in the whole cabin and lights over the bed on the wall that were where you needed to lean back to read in bed.

We can all think of many examples of just plain bad planning.

Maybe if a ship does decided to dock there, they will make some demands for some alterations before signing on the dotted line (lol).

Tucker in Texas
Reply With Quote

  #119  
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
TEXASMUNK TEXASMUNK is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx, USA
Posts: 9,451
Default Tucker

I would love to see who the designer of the Houston terminal is related to in City government!

Last thing a governemnt ever wants to do is ask the people that actually have to work a facility what their needs might be! That would be responsible and when is the last time you believed them when they said:
"I'm from the government, I am here to help you"

LOL Dallas is building a hotel that none of the major chains believes will be successful but it ain't their money, so they will build it anyway!

Mark Twain once said "You can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time" He sure never met today's politicians!
__________________
Previous Cruises: Far More Than A Whole Lot


Navigator Sep 28, 2014
Carnival Magic Mar 2, 2015 (12 nighter)
Liberty Nov 13, 2105

RCI Diamond Plus

CELEBRITY ELITE
Reply With Quote

  #120  
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
BallFour4's Avatar
BallFour4 BallFour4 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASMUNK View Post
I would love to see who the designer of the Houston terminal is related to in City government!
Actually, the Bayport Cruise Terminal is in the city of Pasadena.

worthless trivia I know...

.

__________________

Carnival Mardi Gras 1976 - Carnival Triumph 2014. Twenty-Eight others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Magic, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing ports from Canada to the Caribbean.

One hand on the starboard rail...

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.