Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old October 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Box lunch

Has anyone ever ordered a box lunch from the ship for a day trip? What does it contain? can you make up your own "menu" or are they standardized? Thanks.
Mariner of the Seas 2007
Liberty of the Seas 2010
Oasis of the Seas 2012
Allure of the Seas 2013
Freedom of the Seas 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Due to agricultural restrictions...

...you generally can't take food off the ship -especially meats, cheeses, fruits/vegetables etc. If you brought a box of cold cereal from the buffet you probably could get away with it. But why not just enjoy the local cuisine at your port of call ?!?! We always enjoy the local flavor - and will often ask our driver to take us someplace where the "locals" go so we can taste the REAL indigenous flavor.

Old October 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
20,000+ Club

It really depends on the port where you are disembarking to visit for the day. Many times there are very strict rules about taking food off the ship, I know when we have gotten off in Mexico there will be a trash can full of food.

So pay attention to the international rules and don't try to break them. I know if you fly there are very strict rules about non-packaged food items and you can be charged a stiff fine. The ships usually have the information printed on the daily newsletter and will sometimes tell you as you are disembarking.

Old October 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
5,000+ Club

I had a boxed lunch some years ago from NCL. Foodstuffs are limited in these boxes due to import restictions, so, IMO the most edible item was probably the cordboard box, in which it was packed.

john

Homeric 1 Quebec 1955.
Windward Pacific Coastal 1996.
Song of America Mexico 1997.
NCL Wind Alaska 1998.
NCL Wind Caribbean 1999.
Westerdam [Ex Homeric 2] Alaska 2000 -- Norway E Caribbean Big Band 2000.
Sun Princess Panama Canal 2001---NCL Sun, Canada, New England 2001.
Dawn Princess Hawaii 2002.
Statendam Sea of Cortez and Pacific Coastal 2003.
Coral Princess Alaska and Coral Princess Alaska 2004.
Mercury Mexico 2005.--- Sea Princess Caribbean ---2005
Statendam Osaka Trans Pacific 19 day 2006.
Star Princess, British Isles and Trans Atlantic 2006.
Coral Princess Panama Canal 2007.
Zaandam, Hawaii, round trip from Vancouver 2008.
Coral Princess Sept 2009 Vancouver Whittier B/B
Coral Princess May 15th 2010 Vancouver Whittier B2B.
Zaandam, Hawaii, round trip, Vancouver, 2011.
Coral Princess May 14th 2012 Vancouver Whittier B2B.
Zaandam Vancouver-Mexico, return, Oct 9th-23rd 2012.
Zaandam Hawaii round trip, April 18th 2013.
Coral Princess,Sept. 11th-25th, 2013. 14 day Alaska, Vancouver return.

Coming.
Golden Princess, Hawaii, Tahiti, Apr 1st-29th 2014

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaj girl View Post
...you generally can't take food off the ship -especially meats, cheeses, fruits/vegetables etc. If you brought a box of cold cereal from the buffet you probably could get away with it. But why not just enjoy the local cuisine at your port of call ?!?! We always enjoy the local flavor - and will often ask our driver to take us someplace where the "locals" go so we can taste the REAL indigenous flavor.
What if you are on a special diet, say gluten free per chance? Try asking for gluten free food prep at a local diner.

Best bet, if you are going to be away from the ship for an extended amount of time, is to pack some prepackaged items with you to take on your excursions.

Official lobster taster

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
10,000+ Club

copi2boys, as others have said, there are strict rules about taking food off the ship. It may not be done, and if you are caught, you will have to trash the food, plus it's embarrassing and you are left with nothing.

Best bet is to bring some pre-packaged food items from home; the ship has limited pre-packaged items. You can pack a few things you know your family will eat, and perhaps supplement them with a local meal.

Have fun on Liberty.

Up next:
Princess - Pacific Coastal May 2014
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Some long-time cruisers might remember that people used to take food off the ship all the time, and if they didn't just make up sandwiches from the buffet, they had the ship prepare boxed lunches and such.

Well, times have changed. Laws have changed. Most countries (including the US, by the way) have very strict laws in place to protect the agriculture -- crops --and other vegetation in their countries. So food cannot be taken off the ship unless it's in commercial packaging, like you'd buy from a store, UNopened, sealed.

So if you have special dietary issues, you need to prepare for those in advance. There are lots of commercially packaged single-serving foods available these days to meet your needs -- but it will mean you have to buy that stuff in advance, bring it with you, and take it off the ship UNopened. Or be prepared to get back to the ship to eat. Or risk eating on shore.

Old October 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Pre-packaged foods are the way to go. We usually bring some breakfast bars and hard candy with us. Oh, also the boxed cereals from breakfast. If we find a local market we will by a snack there.

Lots of problems with introduced pests harming agriculture. A few months ago Southern California was on a Asian Psilliad watch. Mediterrean Fruit Flies have also wrecked havoc over here. No fun being Malathioned by air. Disgusting, sticky and the possibility of losing your pets.

We really appreciate people not inadvertantly bringing pest here and our family tries not to bring pests into other areas.

Old October 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Cool

As was mentioned, not only at sea, but coming back to California by car or motorcycle one would get stopped by the agriculture people & questioned as to whether you're bring in any fruit or other items on the wartch list. This has been going on for years.
So don't take anything off the ship that isn't sealed/prepackaged.

Golden Princess - 07.21.15 Back to Alaska
Grand Princess - 04.13.14 Hawaii (b2b)
Grand Princess - 04.06.14 Calif Coastal (b2b)
Sea Princess - 06.02.12 Alaska
Sea Princess - 05.07.10 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - 04.19.09 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 03.02.08 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - 10.21.06 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Star - 06.04.05 Hawaiian Isls, Fanning Island

Last edited by Treven; October 25th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old October 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Prepackaged means absolutely never been opened. I tried to carry off an opened package of ginger cookies and was prevented from doing so. Also you can't even take prepacked food items into any port in Australia. They use sniffer dogs.

I've been OK with (outside of Australia) candy bars, granola bars and upopened cans of soda.

Old October 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
5,000+ Club

I've carried pre-packaged snacks - small sets of cheese & crackers, or a small box of crackers. Candy bars are good for quick energy. Granola bars. (I've gone looking for the better quality bars with a decent amount of protein in them.) These are also good things to have on an airplane - you can't count on being fed on planes anymore.

We've been on excursions where we were supposed to be able to stop and eat, but the majority of passengers didn't want to, so the meal we were expecting didn't happen. It's good to have a bit of stuff to eat.

Kathy

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by copi2boys View Post
Has anyone ever ordered a box lunch from the ship for a day trip? What does it contain? can you make up your own "menu" or are they standardized? Thanks.
You can not take a box lunch from the ship. Only sealed, pre-package food can be taken off such as protein bars, trail mix, granola bars, cheese/peanut butter crackers, etc. If sailing to a hot climate, chocolate candy bars will melt.

Old October 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cool Cruiser

We are cruising to St Petersburg, Russia in June, 2010. Our private tour guide is recommending we bring a box lunch from the ship. Someone even said the driver and guide would also appreciate a box. Maybe things are different in that area.

Old October 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojomitch View Post
We are cruising to St Petersburg, Russia in June, 2010. Our private tour guide is recommending we bring a box lunch from the ship. Someone even said the driver and guide would also appreciate a box. Maybe things are different in that area.
I would be shocked if Russia does not have laws to protect their agriculture. Most likely you would be subject to a large fine and possibly be detained if you were caught smuggling fresh food onto Russian soil. Unless the box lunch consists of only pre-packaged foods such as granola bars, I would not take the chance of likely violating Russian law unless I found out for 100% certain that it was legal.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojomitch View Post

All three times I've been to St Petersburg, we were most definitely warned NOT to bring any food off the ship, except factory sealed items such as candy, granola bars and juice boxes. They searched everything and had dogs around.

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
10,000+ Club

I pack Power Bars, Balance Bars, and that type of food to take on cruises with me. That way, I can take one or two (unopened) ones with me off the ship to tie me over until we stop for food. I really regretted forgetting to do so on an excursion that had included lunch. That turned out to be sandwiches made at the tour guide's favorite place. Probably very good ones, but came premade with mayo and other things that I do not eat. So I was starving by the time we got back on the ship.

You'll often see warnings in the ship's newsletter on a port day warning you not to bring food off the ship. And you'll see a big trash can near the gangway with food confisicated by those not heeding these warnings.

Many locales, including where I live, take agriculture very seriously and do not allow illegal food being brought in.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old October 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We went on an excursion through RCCL. It was an 8 hour trip. It included a box lunch. The box lunches came off the ship and were passed out to those people going on the excursion. It was all prepackaged things --like juice, cookies, tuna kit. That was about 1 1/2 years ago in Mexico.

Past Cruises
Rhapsody of the Seas June, 2013
Enchantment of the Seas June, 2012
Allure of the Seas April, 2011
Enchantment of the Seas July, 2010
Carnival Pride April, 2010
Carnival Pride July, 2009
Granduer of the Seas April, 2009
Explorer of the Seas June, 2008
Voyager of the Seas March, 2008
Granduer of the Seas June, 2007
Granduer of the Seas April, 2007

Old November 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
5,000+ Club

We have taken food off the ship all of the time. If there would be a sign saying we couldn't, then we wouldn't. We usually go to the breakfast bar and get a croissant, some cheese, some breakfast rolls, and sometimes (OMG) a piece of fruit. We would NOT do this if there were signage telling us not to. Maybe it is the ports of call we have been to? There will be information in the daily newspaper telling you if you cannot take items off the ship. Yes, follow the rules, but know that some ports are "box lunch" friendly.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Carnival Valor (Southern girls' cruise) 7/21/13, Celebrity Summit (Southern) 3/30/13, Vision of the Seas (Southern 11 day) 12/24/12, Ruby Princess (Eastern) 4/3/11, Serenade of the Seas 4/3/10 (Southern), Carnival Valor (Western) 2/14/10, Adventure OTS 6/28/09 (Southern to the West), Mariner 3/30/08 (Eastern), Serenade 4/7/07 & 4/8/06 (Southern to the east), RCI Splendour (Western) 3/25/05, Celebrity Century (Eastern) 3/20/04, Celebrity Horizon (Eastern) 4/03, Golden Princess (Eastern) 3/30/02, RCI Grandeur (Southern to the west) 4/14/01, Carnival Holiday (Western) 3/28/92

Old November 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffie View Post
We have taken food off the ship all of the time. If there would be a sign saying we couldn't, then we wouldn't. We usually go to the breakfast bar and get a croissant, some cheese, some breakfast rolls, and sometimes (OMG) a piece of fruit. We would NOT do this if there were signage telling us not to. Maybe it is the ports of call we have been to? There will be information in the daily newspaper telling you if you cannot take items off the ship. Yes, follow the rules, but know that some ports are "box lunch" friendly.
Thank you Michelle...we have too. That ham and cheese sandwich hits the spot after trudging around some tourist site for several hours.

Rules are rules, but there are many places that don't have the rules that many of our passionate posters are so absolute about.

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinfool View Post
Rules are rules, but there are many places that don't have the rules that many of our passionate posters are so absolute about.
I find your comment and the "smilie" used very interesting. I'd really love to know how you know this infoirmation, and could you list the ports for us so we are all better informed? I'm being serious, not sarcastic. We'd like to know.

Up next:
Princess - Pacific Coastal May 2014
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico