Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile From Auckland Airport to Cruise Port - How best to get there?

We (my husband and I) are arriving in Auckland at 9:10 am from Los Angeles International Airport. Our cruise ship, the Diamond Princess is leaving at 6pm on the same day so all should be well. Princess is offering a bus for $54 per person to get to the Port but it occurred to us that we may get a Taxi or other transportation cheaper.

We are unable to determine how far away the airport is from the port and what would be the best way to get there. We will have one large piece of luggage and one carry on each.

Any advice?

Old October 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

The port is in the waterfront area of downtown Auckland, just on the edge of the city. I'd expect a taxi from the airport to cost around $NZ65 to $NZ75. If your bus price is in US Dollars then for two people the cost will be about half for a taxi. Cheaper options would be shuttle buses but the hassle factor increases proportionately. Assuming your flight is on time you should be in a taxi a little after 10.00am and at the port before 11.00am. Assuming your arrival is on a weekday and not the weekend, you'll miss the morning peak so it should be a smooth run in normal traffic to the port. A taxi will be able to carry two passengers and the amount of luggage you indicate. Taxis accept major credit cards if you want to avoid changing money.

Last edited by turtlemichael; October 25th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Agreed with the above - there are definitely cheaper options and you should have plenty of time (assuming no flight delays!) so if you're comfortable with risk and are happy to look at alternatives they will save you money (depending how many of you there are, and what sort of options you'd consider). A shuttle, airport bus and taxi are the options.

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

http://www.supershuttle.co.nz/(S(3ey...z))/index.aspx
I hope this helps.We are taking it to the hotel for us it is $35 nz for 1st passenger then $7nz for each of the next 3 in our party.The port is not far from our hotel.That gives you some idea You may have to email them thru the website.Princess transfers are way too expensive.IMHO
Good luck

1970 Amerkanis New York Bermuda & Nasaau
2002 Mexican Riviera LA to Acupulco Sun Princess
2004 Lisbon- Athens Prinsendam Holland America
2006 Bankok- Beiging Pacific Princess
2007 Athens Black Sea and Egypt Holland Rotterdam
2008 Panama canal Island Princess
2009 Hawaii Holland America Zaandam

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think our taxi last year at about 4pm was either $70 0r $80nzd to the cruise terminal and that included the rounding up tip. I wouldn't bother with the Princess transfers, you also then have to wait for everyone else.

Email me
Some of my Travel Photos

Pacific Sky - P236B - 5 December 2002
Pacific Sky - P421 - 6 July 2004
Pacific Star - R603 - 19 January 2006
Pacific Sun - N605 - 5 February 2006
Summit Southbound Alaska - 27 May 2006
Pacific Star - R635 - 25 October 2006
Mercury - Mexican Riviera - 6 April 2007
Pacific Sun - N722 - 15 July 2007
Mercury - New Zealand/Australia - 6 January 2008
Volendam - New Zealand/Australia - 19 December 2008
Rhapsody of the Seas - Sydney/Hawaii - 13 April 2009

Volendam - New Zealand/Australia - 20 December 2009
Volendam - South Pacific - 6 January 2010
Volendam - New Zealand - 2 January 2011
Volendam - South Pacific - 16 January 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - Nowhere - 3 November 2011
Zaandam - Asia - 23 December 2011
Pacific Sun - N204 - 25 January 2012
Sun Princess - S206 - 1 March 2012
Oosterdam - New Zealand - 19 December 2012
Voyager of the Seas - New Zealand & South Pacific - 13 January 2013
Pacific Jewel - J318 - 24 May 2013
Arcadia - LA/Sydney - 2 February 2014

Rotterdam - Canary Islands - 21 December 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
10,000+ Club

From the Auckland airport ,to the cruise terminal,
(without traffic hassles) you are looking at about 20/30 minutes , direct taxi ride.

My suggestion for anyone arriving in Auckland in the morning and heading to the cruise terminal is to grab a taxi, and negotiate with the driver to take you there via Cornwall Park.

Its on the way, and will give you a great intro to NZ ,
with sheep and cattle grazing in the fields, and a drive up to the summit of (what was once) One Tree Hill, offers amazing views.

There is no shortage of taxis lined up at the airport, , but I would recommend looking out for the Co-op Taxis, as they are owner drivers.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kruzer View Post
(without traffic hassles) you are looking at about 20/30 minutes , direct taxi ride.

My suggestion for anyone arriving in Auckland in the morning and heading to the cruise terminal is to grab a taxi, and negotiate with the driver to take you there via Cornwall Park.

with sheep and cattle grazing in the fields, and a drive up to the summit of
(what was once) One Tree Hill
, offers amazing views.

There is no shortage of taxis lined up at the airport, , but I would recommend looking out for the Co-op Taxis, as they are owner drivers.
Now jokingly known as None-tree Hill. It's a shame!

Seriously, I second Kiwi Kruzer's recommendation.
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

with sheep and cattle grazing in the fields, and a drive up to the summit of (what was once) One Tree Hill, offers amazing views.

Thanks for your suggestion. How can we tell a co-op taxi vs. a non co-op one? Is a co-op taxi a better choice?
Regency (Caribbean) - Apr 1992; Big Red Boat (Caribbean) - May 1996; Disney Wonder (Caribbean) - Nov 2004; Celebrity Infinity (Panama Canal) - Apr 2006; NCL Pearl (Alaska) - June 2007; RCCL Brilliance of the Seas (Egypt/Eastern Mediteranean) - Jan 2009; Diamond Princess (New Zealand/Australia) - Jan 2010; RCCL Mariner of the Seas (S. America) - Jan/Feb 2011; Carnival Dream (Western Caribbean) - Aug 2011; RCCL Vision of the Seas (British Isles) - May 2012; RCCL Vision of the Seas (Norwegian Fjords) - May 2012; Celebrity Millennium (Asia) - April 2014; RCCL Vision of the Seas (Mediterranean/Venice) - Oct 2015

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotcruise View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. How can we tell a co-op taxi vs. a non co-op one? Is a co-op taxi a better choice?
They will have this sign on the door.

I prefer them, as being owner operated they tend to be in tip top condition, and offer a good service, opposed to some of the so called discount cabs, that may be a bit untidy, and the drivers may not speak good English.

The other good taxi company in Auckland is Corporate Cabs..

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's been years ago you posted this but thanks for asking this question. Were holding a cruise reservation for 2013 which starts in Auckland, and this was one of our questions. My first post on Cruise Critic, even though I've been reading it for about six months? We'll see how this goes? Quick reply, advanced, quote message in reply??? what is this stuff?

Last edited by S148TOY; March 22nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Airbus

We plan to take the airbus to the airport from the ship. It is about $20 and runs frequently. It goes between the airport and the ferry terminal. Look it up online at:
airbus.co.nz

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Corporate cabs are the best and they do meet-and-great (so, will stand there with a sign with your name on it and then help you with your luggage). Phone number in Auckland is 377 0 773.

It's true the airbus route ends at the ferry terminal (the wharf next to where cruise ships dock) but bear in mind this will take longer than the Taxi. It is cheap though and a far better option that a cruise transfer in most regards.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S148TOY View Post
It's been years ago you posted this but thanks for asking this question. Were holding a cruise reservation for 2013 which starts in Auckland, and this was one of our questions. My first post on Cruise Critic, even though I've been reading it for about six months? We'll see how this goes? Quick reply, advanced, quote message in reply??? what is this stuff?
Welcome to Cruise Critic.
On which ship will you sailing?

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Auckland to Sydney 2/12/2015

Quote:

Hi Kiwi Kruzer
I am on a mission to find all I can about what to see before my cruise. Thank you so much for the taxi info Oceania wants 109. per person one way US dollars. This will be on a big bus. Do you think the rate and availability will be no problem in 2/0f 2015 I am so excited to do this cruise. mike4ail@yahoo.com any other hints would be very appreciated Thank You Gail

Old January 30th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

We hired a car from the airport and dropped it off in Auckland. It was a short, less than 5 minute walk to the wharf. We did stay overnight though but if you think you might have a little time to drive around the city and look around it could be another option.

Pacific Pearl, Noumea, Isle of Pines & Mare - 6/12/12
Pacific Pearl, Auckland to Sydney - 24/6/13
Sun Princess, South Pacific & Fiji - 21/2/14
Pacific Jewel, Melbourne to Adelaide - 13/3/15
Sun Princess, Brisbane to Sydney - 18/6/15
Golden Princess, Sydney to Melbourne - 28/10/15
Explorer of the Seas, Singapore - Fremantle 3/11/15
Legend of the Seas, Brisbane round trip - 8/12/15

Old February 26th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just got back from Auckland and our cruise. We were picked up by the Super Shuttle and it worked out great. They dropped us right at our hotel. We had a scheduled time and they were right there in a mini van with a trailer for our luggage. There were 3 of us plus 6 others that were being taken to different hotels. A place for all our luggage and room for all of us. Could ask for nothing else. It is a long ride to the port.

Good Cruising Patty J.