Car Finish damaged at Bayonne Parking Sept 2009

muknaw

I parked my car in Port Liberty lot while on a cruise. Car was in the lot from Sept 19 to Oct 3, 2009. The car was dirty when we returned from our cruise and that was to expected as it was in the open lot for two weeks. When I ran my windshield washer to clean the windshield I remember that it sounded really gritty as the wiper wiped the windshield. I didn't think much about it at the time. Back home I had the car washed and the supervisor told me they had trouble getting the car clean because it was covered with tree sap. That didn't sound right because it has never been parked under trees. I wiped my hand across the hood and it felt like sandpaper, I tryed the windows and the sides of the car, sandpaper also. I tried to clean the substance off the car with soap and water with no luck. I took it into the body shop for their advise as how to clean the car. They tryed buffing and chemicals without much success. Bottom line, they found the substance has penetrated the paint and windows and trim and leaves pits (tiny holes) when they remove it. The car, 2007 GMC Yukon XL, is being repainted, ALL the glass replaced, the entire exterior of the car is repainted or replaced. Was anybody else parked there about the same time and now have car exterior finish problems? The substance is clear and quite hard, you can definitely feel it when you wipe your hand over it. There was a ship being worked on in the port when we arrived on Sept 19 and it was still being worked on Oct 3 when we returned from our cruise. Did anybody experience any problems this fall?

I too parked there 9/19 through 10/3 for a Constellation cruise.

When I returned the car was very dirty, grimy and gritty.

I was scheduled for service and detailing (I won it) at my Buick dealer 10 days later. My car has a dark metallic blue finish. Later in the day they called me and told me the car was covered with "tree sap" and said they needed another day to do it properly. I of course agreed (they even picked up my rental car bill).

Neither my wife or I could think where we might have gotten the "tree sap". Maybe I know now.

I've read reports of paint damage at this port before. Does anyone know the history of compensation when this happens?

I'll be sailing from there again in May and now am concerned about parking.

I parked my car in Port Liberty lot while on a cruise. Car was in the lot from Sept 19 to Oct 3, 2009. The car was dirty when we returned from our cruise and that was to expected as it was in the open lot for two weeks. When I ran my windshield washer to clean the windshield I remember that it sounded really gritty as the wiper wiped the windshield. I didn't think much about it at the time. Back home I had the car washed and the supervisor told me they had trouble getting the car clean because it was covered with tree sap. That didn't sound right because it has never been parked under trees. I wiped my hand across the hood and it felt like sandpaper, I tryed the windows and the sides of the car, sandpaper also. I tried to clean the substance off the car with soap and water with no luck. I took it into the body shop for their advise as how to clean the car. They tryed buffing and chemicals without much success. Bottom line, they found the substance has penetrated the paint and windows and trim and leaves pits (tiny holes) when they remove it. The car, 2007 GMC Yukon XL, is being repainted, ALL the glass replaced, the entire exterior of the car is repainted or replaced. Was anybody else parked there about the same time and now have car exterior finish problems? The substance is clear and quite hard, you can definitely feel it when you wipe your hand over it. There was a ship being worked on in the port when we arrived on Sept 19 and it was still being worked on Oct 3 when we returned from our cruise. Did anybody experience any problems this fall?

Get your insurance company on this and get an adjuster out to look at the car before any more work is done. They have to see the car before they can authorize and repairs (and the insurance company will negotiate with the company that may have done the damage.)

My office is in an industrial area and over spray is one reason I drive an 18 year old car to work. Good luck!

Parking at Cape Liberty is an open lot? I thought it was a garage? Is there anyplace at the port that we can park and not have to be concerned with this problem?

bring a long a tarp to cover the car. Is there any port that has covered parking? Most are open lots...just like at the airport.

I have received the estimate for my Youkon to repair the damage $12,600 and change, my insurance company is pursuing the complaint process.

This happened to a friend of mine as well. Their kids do autobody work on the side and they used a Clay Bar and it took 99% of the stuff off. Of coarse you have to wax it when its done cuz the clay bar takes off wax grime, pretty much anything, but it did work. Dont Clay Bar it yourself as it should be used by a profesional cuz you can really mess it up if you dont do it right. Good luck....

My car was okay after we returned from our cruise on Oct. 10. I'm curious to know where the damaged cars were parked in the parking lot. We were in the first row by the street across from the handicap lot. Guess we were just lucky. I'm so sorry for those who have damage.

My body shop tried the clay bar and while it did take the 'stuff' off, it leaves a pit or hole in the paint and also on the glass with every piece of 'stuff' they remove. My 2007 Yukon XL is the dark red metalic color. I'm getting the complete exterior repainted and ALL the glass replaced and ALL the exterior chrome and trim replaced.

My car was okay after we returned from our cruise on Oct. 10. I'm curious to know where the damaged cars were parked in the parking lot. We were in the first row by the street across from the handicap lot. Guess we were just lucky. I'm so sorry for those who have damage.

I was on the same lot as the handicap parking but toward the water from handicap and third row in from that street you referred to. My car was there from Sept 19 till Oct 3 but no way to know exactly when during that period the damage occured.

I was on the same lot as the handicap parking but toward the water from handicap and third row in from that street you referred to. My car was there from Sept 19 till Oct 3 but no way to know exactly when during that period the damage occured.

Yeah, and I guess there's no attendant in the parking lot once we sail. I was there from Oct. 1 to Oct. 10. I had read on this board that this was a potential problem. I think we need to take some kind of cover for our car next time. Lord knows what they cost. Seems the cruise lines ought to address this issue.

Thanks so much...actually after raising heLL calling Royal Carib & the parking lot I finally had the lot owner call me back & he will pay for the detailing this morning. I brought my 09 Pilot to a detailer that tried the clay bar on it & thinks he can get about 90 some % off. He's not so sure about all of the plastic though. The owner said to me do you have an estimate? I said yes for $535.00. He said fax it to me & I will pay them in the morning. Royal Carib said that they have a contract w/ them & in that contract it says there will be no spraying yadda yadda when ship is out & cars are in the lot/. Then she mentioned something about breech of contract...Anyway....I am supposed to call this owner back @ 9:30-10am to make sure he paid. I will tell him that if the detailer has ANY problems w/ the car I will call him right back! (he gave me his cell #) probably wants to get rid of me...I will let you know Thanks

/ them & in that contract it says there will be no spraying yadda yadda when ship is out & cars are in the lot/.

How could that be when Explorer of the Seas sails out of there YEAR round and now Celebrity Summit will be sailing with out of there for 6 months straight starting in April 2010. There will always be cars there.

I just got off the phone with Kevin and they do take full responsibility and he told me to fax him an estimate. I still don't know why they are made to be the BAD guys when they are just doing their jobs.

I think the port, the town of Bayonne and the cruiselines should chip in and build indoor parking garage.

How could that be when Explorer of the Seas sails out of there YEAR round and now Celebrity Summit will be sailing with out of there for 6 months straight starting in April 2010. There will always be cars there.

I just got off the phone with Kevin and they do take full responsibility and he told me to fax him an estimate. I still don't know why they are made to be the BAD guys when they are just doing their jobs.

I think the port, the town of Bayonne and the cruiselines should chip in and build indoor parking garage.

That would be because they are the ones causing the damage! Do you think they would agree so quickly to paying for repairs if they didn't realize it was their responsibility?

Archived