Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Panama Canal

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default what to do?

We are on the 21 day RT from LA to the Panama Canal that leaves 12/2. We just noticed that there are no ship tours. Looks like we get into the lake at 2 and have until the next morning with tenders. That said, if we take the tender to shore, will we be able to arrange a tour? Or should we try to arrange something before we leave (hard to do without knowing ewhere the tender dock is.) Or should we give up on a tour and just walk around near the tender dock? Thanks for any tips. We are disappointed that we don't have more time and opportunities there and want to make the nest of what we can...

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh... I should add that if we could, we'd love either to see the lifestyle of the indigenous people and also lear more about the canal. I see in Richard's blog there is a small ferry-type trip available. I just don't know if it's doable for us or if it is, how to go about doing it.

Old November 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartjanet View Post
We are on the 21 day RT from LA to the Panama Canal that leaves 12/2. We just noticed that there are no ship tours. Looks like we get into the lake at 2 and have until the next morning with tenders. That said, if we take the tender to shore, will we be able to arrange a tour? Or should we try to arrange something before we leave (hard to do without knowing ewhere the tender dock is.) Or should we give up on a tour and just walk around near the tender dock? Thanks for any tips. We are disappointed that we don't have more time and opportunities there and want to make the nest of what we can...
What ship?

Past cruises:
Carnival Legend (7) - Mar 12 - Roatan zipline, Maya Chan, Wet Wendys, 9B cabin, Carnival Destiny (5) - Nov 11 - 1st Plat cruise, Ochi Bobsled, Carnival Dream (7) - Feb 11 - Scuba in Coz again, 100% Agave in CostaMaya, Cave tubing in Belize, Missed Roatan due to wind, Celebrity Solstice (7) - Nov 10 - Back just to enjoy the ship, Orient beach, Celebrity Solstice (7) - Jun 10 - El Morro, Scuba in Secret Harbour USVI, Le Galion beach St Martin, Carnival Freedom (8) - Sep 09 - Scuba in Cozumel, Zipline in Costa Rica, Embera village in Panama, Carnival Glory (7) - Dec 08 - Arawak Cay, Coz again, Fell in love with CostaMaya, Goffs Caye Belize Carnival Sensation (3) - Aug 08 - In-laws 50th anniversary, Yellow Bird Booze Cruize again Nassau, Carnival Sensation (3) - May 08 - Snorkeled with the sharks Stuart Cove's, Nassau, Carnival Inspiration (5) - Mar 08 - Muyil, Akumal, Yal-ku, & Cemetery Beach, Grand Cayman, Carnival Inspiration (4) - Nov 07 - 1st trip to Cozumel, Paradise Beach Tom, Carnival Sensation (4) - Sep 07 - Freeport taxi mafia fiasco, Arawak Cay, Nassau, Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas (3) - May 01 - Cruising, rough seas and pregnancy didn't mix, Carnival Fantasy (3) - May 98 - 1st cruise where I wasn't crew, Yellow Bird Booze Cruize Nassau, SubRon 14 (423) - 1983 to 1987 - Holy Loch, Scotland.

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ooops... forgot that would also be helpful information. We are on the Amsterdam.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I believe what will happen here is you will need to take a ship's tour when the ship arrives in Gatun Lake at 2PM. They most likely will not let you tender ashore without a tour booked through the ship as the area where you land is remote and not an area where taxis and busses routinely congregate. This partial transit operates differently from most, so I am not positive on how tours are handled.
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02