Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
pseudochicken pseudochicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 425
Question Ocean-view stateroom on Ryndam!? Please help!

I am booked for a FF Ocean-view stateroom (guaranteed) on my Caribbean cruise aboard the Ryndam this upcoming January. When I called, they said it was picture window guarantee, but I checked the website and FF is portholes. So I guess I got screwed there.

However, before I upgraded I had an HH category aboard the Ryndam. Now checking the deckplans, I noticed HH cabins have a completely obstructed view. But do the HH cabins have a door that opens out onto the lower promenade exterior deck? IS this ture? I would highly consider "downgrading" to an HH category if someone can give me some insight and has had positive experience with the HH cabins.

Granted, I would no longer be able to look out to the ocean, but that drawback would be completely negated if I could walk out on to the lower promenade outside decks.

That's all really. I AM kind of pieved that I got duped by HAL on the FF cabins. When I called to upgrade, they said I could upgrade to a guaranteed picture window for $40 a person. I said 'SURE!' and my confirmation says FF Guarantee instead of HH. That is REALLY annoying.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, Southern Caribbean -- April 1998
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean -- April 2003
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean -- July 2008
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
AlanAllyn AlanAllyn is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,702
Default

according to the deck plan in the 2010 Alaska brochure, FF's do not show portholes. G's and H's show portholes.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
pseudochicken pseudochicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 425
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAllyn View Post
according to the deck plan in the 2010 Alaska brochure, FF's do not show portholes. G's and H's show portholes.
Yeah. I am looking at pictures of the Ryndam's exterior, and it looks like FF are picture windows, which would support your claim. On HAL's site about Ryndam it says the following:

Large Ocean-view Staterooms
Category C, D, DA, DD ( some partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)

But it appears to me that G and H are portholes, HH is obstructed, and E thru FF are picture window.

Can anyone confirm if those rooms on the lower promenade actually open out onto those exterior decks? Thanks!
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, Southern Caribbean -- April 1998
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean -- April 2003
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean -- July 2008
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Sunshine91's Avatar
Sunshine91 Sunshine91 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LSD - Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 1,773
Default

At HAL's website, look at the actual deck plan for Ryndam. From what I can see, only the cabins with the diamond symbol have the porthole window. These include the G, H & HH that are all the way forward on Deck 4. The FFs do not have that symbol, so should have a regular square window.

And none of the cabins on Ryndam are of the lanai type, meaning they have 2 doors - one from the passageway & a second directly outside to the teak wrap-around deck. As of right now, only Veendam has those cabins.
__________________
. susan and sometimes john
3-star mariners


In the future: Aug 2014 HAL Amsterdam Alaska 14-days (Going back to recover those lost ports - Homer & Kodiak)
Life on the sea: Sept 2012 HAL Amsterdam Alaska: Arctic Storm Chasers - The Lost Ports Voyage; Oct-Nov 2011 HAL Noordam (20th Anniversary) Rome to Ft. Lauderdale; Sept 2009 HAL Ryndam Alaska cruisetour; July 2008 HAL Eurodam (Inaugural) Norwegian fjords & British isles; Jan 2007 HAL Noordam (The Reunion) Caribbean; Feb 2006 HAL Noordam (Inaugural) Caribbean; Nov 2001 HAL Veendam (10th Anniversary) Caribbean; Apr 1998 HAL Veendam Caribbean; Mar 1997 HAL Noordam (III) Caribbean; Nov 1991 Big Red Boat Atlantic (Honeymoon) Bahamas
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Jemima Jemima is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudochicken View Post
Category C, D, DA, DD ( some partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)
But it appears to me that G and H are portholes, HH is obstructed, and E thru FF are picture window.
Can anyone confirm if those rooms on the lower promenade actually open out onto those exterior decks? Thanks!
OP, you are misreading the cabin descriptions. The "portholes instead of windows" applies only the the letter immediately before those words. G and H cabins have portholes. If you get an FF cabin, it will be fine and you'll have a regular outside cabin window. Since you have a guarantee, you may be upgraded to a higher category; but probably to a higher category outside cabin.

Last edited by Jemima; November 8th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
solocanadian solocanadian is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Vancouver
Posts: 4,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
OP, you are misreading the cabin descriptions. The "portholes instead of windows" applies only the the letter immediately before those words. G and H cabins have portholes. If you get an FF cabin, it will be fine and you'll have a regular outside cabin window. Since you have a guarantee, you may be upgraded to a higher category; but probably to a higher category outside cabin.
I had FF721 on the Ryndam and it had a picture window. Loved the location. Close to elevator and gangway for going ashore. I much prefer A deck to lower promade.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
pseudochicken pseudochicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 425
Default Thank you!

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much to all that responded. I feel much better now!

So those C category cabins on the lower promenade deck don't have two doors? That'd mean you would have worse views of the ocean without immediate access to the outside. In my opinion that'd be a downgrade!

I am glad now that I have the FF cabin guarantee.
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, Southern Caribbean -- April 1998
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean -- April 2003
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean -- July 2008
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Sunshine91's Avatar
Sunshine91 Sunshine91 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LSD - Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 1,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudochicken View Post
So those C category cabins on the lower promenade deck don't have two doors? That'd mean you would have worse views of the ocean without immediate access to the outside. In my opinion that'd be a downgrade!

I am glad now that I have the FF cabin guarantee.
The C-category cabins are more expensive because (1) they may be a couple of square feet larger & (2) they are in a more desirable location [higher deck]. On Ryndam this past September for our Alaska cruise, we had one of the D-category cabins all the way aft on Deck 6. We overlooked the wake.

It was a fabulous cabin. The head of the bed is under the window instead of one of the sidewalls, so you can actually see out the window while sitting on the bed. During the day, no one strolling about the promenade can see into the cabin because the glass is mirrored. At night, however, different story. Curtains had to be kept closed. Catty-corner from the cabin door to the passageway is another door, to the outside promenade. It was the next best thing to having a balcony, which on Ryndam we just couldn't afford. One night just before turning in, we were out there watching the wake, & just above the horizon was the Big Dipper. Amazing sight. I like bumpy water (John not so much) so enjoyed being at the back of the boat. However, the Inside Passage isn't really that rough (we did have one stormy night, though).

And the FF guarantee means that you might not actually be assigned an FF cabin. The guarantee means you could be in any cabin of FF or higher. The likelihood is that you'll still be in an ocean-view cabin, since it's rare for someone to be upgraded from OV to suite. But you might get really really lucky!
__________________
. susan and sometimes john
3-star mariners


In the future: Aug 2014 HAL Amsterdam Alaska 14-days (Going back to recover those lost ports - Homer & Kodiak)
Life on the sea: Sept 2012 HAL Amsterdam Alaska: Arctic Storm Chasers - The Lost Ports Voyage; Oct-Nov 2011 HAL Noordam (20th Anniversary) Rome to Ft. Lauderdale; Sept 2009 HAL Ryndam Alaska cruisetour; July 2008 HAL Eurodam (Inaugural) Norwegian fjords & British isles; Jan 2007 HAL Noordam (The Reunion) Caribbean; Feb 2006 HAL Noordam (Inaugural) Caribbean; Nov 2001 HAL Veendam (10th Anniversary) Caribbean; Apr 1998 HAL Veendam Caribbean; Mar 1997 HAL Noordam (III) Caribbean; Nov 1991 Big Red Boat Atlantic (Honeymoon) Bahamas
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Cruising Carol Cruising Carol is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 400
Default

C category cabins are on the promenade deck. This means the windows are shaded. Less light comes into the cabin. Also when we were upgraded to one, it seemed somewhat smaller than other outside cabins on a lower deck. I prefer the deck below the promenade deck for an outside cabin (haven't afforded the rate for a balcony on the Ryndam class).
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
mudscraper's Avatar
mudscraper mudscraper is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Illinois
Posts: 1,960
Default

If you don`t mind a port hole take a look at the cabins waaaay up front at the curve of the bow. I was in 707 and it was several feet deeper than some other OVs.
There is a nice open space between the end of the bed and the couch/desk area.


Rich

Last edited by mudscraper; November 10th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
pseudochicken pseudochicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 425
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine91 View Post
The C-category cabins are more expensive because (1) they may be a couple of square feet larger & (2) they are in a more desirable location [higher deck]. On Ryndam this past September for our Alaska cruise, we had one of the D-category cabins all the way aft on Deck 6. We overlooked the wake.

It was a fabulous cabin. The head of the bed is under the window instead of one of the sidewalls, so you can actually see out the window while sitting on the bed. During the day, no one strolling about the promenade can see into the cabin because the glass is mirrored. At night, however, different story. Curtains had to be kept closed. Catty-corner from the cabin door to the passageway is another door, to the outside promenade. It was the next best thing to having a balcony, which on Ryndam we just couldn't afford. One night just before turning in, we were out there watching the wake, & just above the horizon was the Big Dipper. Amazing sight. I like bumpy water (John not so much) so enjoyed being at the back of the boat. However, the Inside Passage isn't really that rough (we did have one stormy night, though).

And the FF guarantee means that you might not actually be assigned an FF cabin. The guarantee means you could be in any cabin of FF or higher. The likelihood is that you'll still be in an ocean-view cabin, since it's rare for someone to be upgraded from OV to suite. But you might get really really lucky!
Thanks for the info. I realize that we will more than likely have an OV room unless somehow we get real lucky. My gf and I both like the rocking motion of a ship, so if we end up with a cabin towards the back or front neither one of us will complain. It would be REAL nice if those windows could be opened somehow, even if it was just a crack. That way we could smell the fresh ocean air and hear the water lap against the hull as we fell asleep. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Carol View Post
C category cabins are on the promenade deck. This means the windows are shaded. Less light comes into the cabin. Also when we were upgraded to one, it seemed somewhat smaller than other outside cabins on a lower deck. I prefer the deck below the promenade deck for an outside cabin (haven't afforded the rate for a balcony on the Ryndam class).
Point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudscraper View Post
If you don`t mind a port hole take a look at the cabins waaaay up front at the curve of the bow. I was in 707 and it was several feet deeper than some other OVs.
There is a nice open space between the end of the bed and the couch/desk area.



Rich
I think I'd much prefer a picture window and sacrafice a few square feet of space.
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, Southern Caribbean -- April 1998
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean -- April 2003
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean -- July 2008
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM
pseudochicken pseudochicken is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 425
Default Thank you!

Thank you for all that helped! Situation worked out.
__________________
Carnival Inspiration, Southern Caribbean -- April 1998
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean -- April 2003
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean -- July 2008
Celebrity Millennium, Alaska Southbound -- June 2009
Ryndam, Western Caribbean -- January 2010
Carnival Splendor, Bahamas -- May 2013
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.