Ocean-view stateroom on Ryndam!? Please help!

pseudochicken

I am booked for a FF Ocean-view stateroom (guaranteed) on my Caribbean cruise aboard the Ryndam this upcoming January. When I called, they said it was picture window guarantee, but I checked the website and FF is portholes. So I guess I got screwed there.

However, before I upgraded I had an HH category aboard the Ryndam. Now checking the deckplans, I noticed HH cabins have a completely obstructed view. But do the HH cabins have a door that opens out onto the lower promenade exterior deck? IS this ture? I would highly consider "downgrading" to an HH category if someone can give me some insight and has had positive experience with the HH cabins.

Granted, I would no longer be able to look out to the ocean, but that drawback would be completely negated if I could walk out on to the lower promenade outside decks.

That's all really. I AM kind of pieved that I got duped by HAL on the FF cabins. When I called to upgrade, they said I could upgrade to a guaranteed picture window for $40 a person. I said 'SURE!' and my confirmation says FF Guarantee instead of HH. That is REALLY annoying.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help! :)

according to the deck plan in the 2010 Alaska brochure, FF's do not show portholes. G's and H's show portholes.

Yeah. I am looking at pictures of the Ryndam's exterior, and it looks like FF are picture windows, which would support your claim. On HAL's site about Ryndam it says the following:

Large Ocean-view Staterooms

Category C, D, DA, DD ( some partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)

But it appears to me that G and H are portholes, HH is obstructed, and E thru FF are picture window.

Can anyone confirm if those rooms on the lower promenade actually open out onto those exterior decks? Thanks!;)

At HAL's website, look at the actual deck plan for Ryndam. From what I can see, only the cabins with the diamond symbol have the porthole window. These include the G, H & HH that are all the way forward on Deck 4. The FFs do not have that symbol, so should have a regular square window.

And none of the cabins on Ryndam are of the lanai type, meaning they have 2 doors - one from the passageway & a second directly outside to the teak wrap-around deck. As of right now, only Veendam has those cabins.

Category C, D, DA, DD ( some partial sea views), E, EE, F, FF, G ( portholes instead of windows), H ( portholes instead of windows), HH ( fully obstructed views)

But it appears to me that G and H are portholes, HH is obstructed, and E thru FF are picture window.

Can anyone confirm if those rooms on the lower promenade actually open out onto those exterior decks? Thanks!;)

OP, you are misreading the cabin descriptions. The "portholes instead of windows" applies only the the letter immediately before those words. G and H cabins have portholes. If you get an FF cabin, it will be fine and you'll have a regular outside cabin window. Since you have a guarantee, you may be upgraded to a higher category; but probably to a higher category outside cabin.

OP, you are misreading the cabin descriptions. The "portholes instead of windows" applies only the the letter immediately before those words. G and H cabins have portholes. If you get an FF cabin, it will be fine and you'll have a regular outside cabin window. Since you have a guarantee, you may be upgraded to a higher category; but probably to a higher category outside cabin.

I had FF721 on the Ryndam and it had a picture window. Loved the location. Close to elevator and gangway for going ashore. I much prefer A deck to lower promade.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much to all that responded. I feel much better now! :D

So those C category cabins on the lower promenade deck don't have two doors? That'd mean you would have worse views of the ocean without immediate access to the outside. In my opinion that'd be a downgrade! :rolleyes:

I am glad now that I have the FF cabin guarantee.

So those C category cabins on the lower promenade deck don't have two doors? That'd mean you would have worse views of the ocean without immediate access to the outside. In my opinion that'd be a downgrade! :rolleyes:

I am glad now that I have the FF cabin guarantee.

The C-category cabins are more expensive because (1) they may be a couple of square feet larger & (2) they are in a more desirable location [higher deck]. On Ryndam this past September for our Alaska cruise, we had one of the D-category cabins all the way aft on Deck 6. We overlooked the wake.

It was a fabulous cabin. The head of the bed is under the window instead of one of the sidewalls, so you can actually see out the window while sitting on the bed. During the day, no one strolling about the promenade can see into the cabin because the glass is mirrored. At night, however, different story. Curtains had to be kept closed. ;) Catty-corner from the cabin door to the passageway is another door, to the outside promenade. It was the next best thing to having a balcony, which on Ryndam we just couldn't afford. One night just before turning in, we were out there watching the wake, & just above the horizon was the Big Dipper. Amazing sight. :) I like bumpy water (John not so much) so enjoyed being at the back of the boat. However, the Inside Passage isn't really that rough (we did have one stormy night, though).

And the FF guarantee means that you might not actually be assigned an FF cabin. The guarantee means you could be in any cabin of FF or higher. The likelihood is that you'll still be in an ocean-view cabin, since it's rare for someone to be upgraded from OV to suite. But you might get really really lucky! :):)

C category cabins are on the promenade deck. This means the windows are shaded. Less light comes into the cabin. Also when we were upgraded to one, it seemed somewhat smaller than other outside cabins on a lower deck. I prefer the deck below the promenade deck for an outside cabin (haven't afforded the rate for a balcony on the Ryndam class).

If you don`t mind a port hole take a look at the cabins waaaay up front at the curve of the bow. I was in 707 and it was several feet deeper than some other OVs.

There is a nice open space between the end of the bed and the couch/desk area.

Rich

The C-category cabins are more expensive because (1) they may be a couple of square feet larger & (2) they are in a more desirable location [higher deck]. On Ryndam this past September for our Alaska cruise, we had one of the D-category cabins all the way aft on Deck 6. We overlooked the wake.

It was a fabulous cabin. The head of the bed is under the window instead of one of the sidewalls, so you can actually see out the window while sitting on the bed. During the day, no one strolling about the promenade can see into the cabin because the glass is mirrored. At night, however, different story. Curtains had to be kept closed. ;) Catty-corner from the cabin door to the passageway is another door, to the outside promenade. It was the next best thing to having a balcony, which on Ryndam we just couldn't afford. One night just before turning in, we were out there watching the wake, & just above the horizon was the Big Dipper. Amazing sight. :) I like bumpy water (John not so much) so enjoyed being at the back of the boat. However, the Inside Passage isn't really that rough (we did have one stormy night, though).

And the FF guarantee means that you might not actually be assigned an FF cabin. The guarantee means you could be in any cabin of FF or higher. The likelihood is that you'll still be in an ocean-view cabin, since it's rare for someone to be upgraded from OV to suite. But you might get really really lucky! :):)

Thanks for the info. I realize that we will more than likely have an OV room unless somehow we get real lucky. My gf and I both like the rocking motion of a ship, so if we end up with a cabin towards the back or front neither one of us will complain. It would be REAL nice if those windows could be opened somehow, even if it was just a crack. That way we could smell the fresh ocean air and hear the water lap against the hull as we fell asleep. Oh well... :rolleyes:

C category cabins are on the promenade deck. This means the windows are shaded. Less light comes into the cabin. Also when we were upgraded to one, it seemed somewhat smaller than other outside cabins on a lower deck. I prefer the deck below the promenade deck for an outside cabin (haven't afforded the rate for a balcony on the Ryndam class).

Point taken.

If you don`t mind a port hole take a look at the cabins waaaay up front at the curve of the bow. I was in 707 and it was several feet deeper than some other OVs.

There is a nice open space between the end of the bed and the couch/desk area.

Rich

I think I'd much prefer a picture window and sacrafice a few square feet of space.

Archived