after hairspray, what?

enyliram

still reliving the incredible sailing of dec 1-dec 5. cant think of much else as i tell everyone about it. now the question is how long will hairspay, which was phenomenal, run, and what will replace it. will it go over to the allure or will the allure get a new different show? anyone know???

Given the cost of mounting such a show and the large cast involved it is likely that RCI will be featuring Hairspray on Oasis for as many years as they have a license for, which according to RCI during the two night pre-inaugural, is for a number of years. Whether or not they will also feature the show on Allure or some other similarly spectacular show, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Correct. From the reviews I've read Hairspray onboard Oasis of the Seas seems to be a smash hit with everyone. With the costs of installing a production onboard a ship and all the work that goes into making the show what it is, Hairspray will probably no doubt be onboard for many years to come.

I would like to see Allure of the Seas host something similar (seeing how popular Hairspray is, Royal Caribbean would be stupid not to host something similar) like Mamma Mia, Wicked or even something as huge as Phantom of the Opera. I would dare say though Allure of the Seas probably won't get something that is still currently on broadway.

I think that the show on allure would have to fit three main criteria

It would have to be an upbeat and happy show

It would have to be appealable to a wide audience including both adults and children

It would have to not contain controversial themes

I think phantom of the opera is not upbeat and happy enough

I think mama mia's main theme is too controversial for rccl being that its about whose my daddy.

West side story is a major musical but it involves gangs

So its a tricky selection process. I wonder if anyone can come up with some good suggestions.

Correct. From the reviews I've read Hairspray onboard Oasis of the Seas seems to be a smash hit with everyone. With the costs of installing a production onboard a ship and all the work that goes into making the show what it is, Hairspray will probably no doubt be onboard for many years to come.

I would like to see Allure of the Seas host something similar (seeing how popular Hairspray is, Royal Caribbean would be stupid not to host something similar) like Mamma Mia, Wicked or even something as huge as Phantom of the Opera. I would dare say though Allure of the Seas probably won't get something that is still currently on broadway.

i think that adding wicked or mamma mia would be a great idea.

Years ago they used to do musicals on the old Norway. I would love to see this Hairspray start a trend towards slightly abbreviated Broadway musicals back on cruise ships.

But you're right, it's tough to find family friendly upbeat shows. And very few producers are anxious to license shows that are still running on Broadway.

Off the top of my head here is a list that might work on a ship;

Barnum

Hello Dolly

Annie Get Your Gun

Peter Pan

The Drowsey Chaperone

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Fiddler on the Roof

Annie

Dreamgirls (good name recognition on this one because of film)

Any thought on my list? Suggestions of your own?

The cast is on for a YEAR and they are already casting for the replacement cast. I have no idea how they handle understudies though.

I took the theater tour on Mariner of the Seas recently so I can answer this question concerning understudies:

1. There are no understudies

2. If a dancer gets sick they just reposition the dancers with one less on stage to make it look like no one is missing

3. If a singer gets sick, they will have a dancer pretend to be a singer and lip-sync the singers part to pre-recorded lyrics.

I vote for "Jersey Boys", "Mamma Mia", "Smokey Joe's Cafe" or "Hair." I love "Chicago" but that might too edgy for some. I'd also love to see "South Pacific" but again that might have too limited appeal.

"Jersey Boys", "Mamma Mia" are two of my favorites. There have been some really good suggestions made already but my all time favorite is "JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT"

RCI actually has already announced that there would be another Broadway show on Allure (not Hairspray)...they just haven't announced which one it will be. That little bit of info was provided at the original Hairspray news conference.

RCI actually has already announced that there would be another Broadway show on Allure (not Hairspray)...they just haven't announced which one it will be. That little bit of info was provided at the original Hairspray news conference.

good to know. thanks. wonder if any of the suggestions here are actually selected for the show.

If you have only ever seen the movie Hairspray and didn't like it, do not let that stop you from seeing the show onboard. I reluctantly saw Hairspray on Broadway last year - I was on a ladies getaway weekend and that was the show the group chose, and I was not very enthusiastic as I really did not like the movie much. I loved the Broadway show, however, and the production on the Oasis is easily just as good! The performers were outstanding and the whole production was just awesome. there were several people in our group onboard who had also only seen the movie and they could not believe how much they enjoyed the play.

For the next show, I second the suggestion of Joseph - I love that musical. Sadly, in these days of political correctedness, it might not be considered secular enough. As someone mentioned here, the show has to have broad appeal and not be offensive or inappropriate for children. That probably rules out Hair, West side Story, Mamma Mia and others. Wicked would be a wicked choice, though!

Archived