Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Holiday Exchange 2013

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holiday Exchange 2013
Celebrate the Holidays of Season with your Cruise Critic Friends -- Halloween - Thanksgiving - Hanukkah - Christmas - Kwanza - The New Year

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Need ideas for presenting surprise gift of a cruise

My sister and I are surprising our parents with a family cruise as a Christmas present. We are trying to think of ways to present the gift to them. So far, we have a new carry-on luggage piece and we were going to put inside of it: sunscreen, the cruise documents, plane tickets...

Can anyone think of a couple of other fun things to put inside of the luggage for the cruise. We will be taking the cruise in February and going to the Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas.

Thanks in advance!

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

an empty photo album

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

How about a digital camera??? Not as expense as they used to be.
CARNIVAL - 14, HAL - 5, RCI - 4, NCL - 4, NCL DAWN 3/2014, HAL NIEUW AMSTERDAM - 12/2013, NCL BREAKAWAY - 9/2013, CARNIVAL VALOR - 9/2012, NCL STAR (free cruise)-3/2012, CARNIVAL LIBERTY-9/2011, CARNIVAL IMAGINATION- 10/2010, CARNIVAL DREAM- 4/2010, CARNIVAL IMAGINATION- 11/2009 "PLATINUM CRUISE", ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS- 4/2009, HAL EURODAM 11/2008, CARNIVAL FREEDOM- 4/2008, HAL ZUIDERDAM- 4/2007, NCL DAWN -11/2006, HAL VEENDAM-4/2006, HAL ZUIDERDAM-3/2005, CARNIVAL DESTINY-3/2004, CARNIVAL PRIDE-4/2003, CARNIVAL TRIUMPH-4/2002, CARNIVAL DESTINY-10/2000, RCCL NORDIC EMPRESS-5/1999, CARNIVAL FASCINATION-10/1998, LEGEND OF THE SEAS-8/1996, RCCL NORDIC EMPRESS-6/1993, CARNIVAL CELEBRATION-3/1992, CARNIVAL ECSTACY-10/1991, CARNIVAL FANTASY-8/1990

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Shore excursion

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like the idea of a camera, however if your not trying to spend too much money how about going to the dollar store and picking up tropical fun items in the party section. And maybe make a fun bag tag about the cruise so when you do go its easily recognizable. A pair of flip flops as they are really easy to find on sale during the winter.

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you build a little ship and wrap it?

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

i ve seen pictures of individuals put on the cover of various magazines..it would be nice to get a picture of them together..say on the cover of Travel Magazine..

Old December 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Caribbean guide book

Radiance of the Seas............Sep 2013
NCL Dawn..................................Dec 2012.
NCL Dawn..................................Apr 2012
RCI Jewel of the Seas...........Dec 2011
Majesty of the Seas..............Mar 2011 b2b NCL EPIC.....................Mar 2011

NCL Jewel.................................Feb 2010 b2b Carnival Freedom....Feb 2010
Radiance of the Seas...........Oct 2009.........NCL Sky........................Mar 2009
Dawn Princess........................Mar 2008...... .Sun Princess..............Jan 2007
Celebrity Summit....................Feb2005....... Celebrity Summit......Jan 2002

Old December 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am doing the same thing for my parents this year. I am sending them on a cruise on Princess to NE/Canada in October. I am putting items in the box that represent the areas that they will be seeing and then at the bottom of the box, I will put the brochure in it. I am still trying to come up with some other ideas myself. I have a fake apple (for NYC), box of candy (Boston Baked Beans), Maple syrup (Maine), I am going to the get DVD "Titanic" for Halifax, fake fall leaves. Any other suggestions.

So far you have some good ideas, what about a bottle of sand?

Old December 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

How about a towel animal? You could google it. I bet there is some you tube video on how to make on.

Old December 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm doing a surprise gift to my wife for Christmas. It'll be her Christmas and Anniversary gift and will be sailing in January 2010.

I will send her on a trivia hunt, as I have wrapped up several clues in form of presents under the tree. I actually write a litte number on the name tag, so that I remember what comes next.

For example, I'll start out with a bottle of sunscreen/tanning lotion, followed by a pair of beach sandals, followed by a gift certificate to Bealls (department store) - (she needs to get something nice to wear, but still won't have a clue), followed by some piece of roman dress jewelery (as we will have a Roman Toga Night on board of the ship), followed by the acutal luggage tags. See how quickly she'll get it!

It'll be fun to see her face, as she has absolutely no clue that we're going on a cruise in January!!!

Costa ? ? ? - 2011
Costa Fortuna - 2010
Costa Fortuna - 2007
Costa Magica - 2006
Costa Mediterranea - 2005
Costa Atlantica - 2004

Old December 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are doing this for my children (14 and 11) this year! Santa is so very excited!!!!! We set sail the day after x-mas and will be spending the night at the hotel attached to the airport (in pgh) because our flight leaves around 5:15 am!!!

I purchased some rolling duffles for my kids and plan to put small wrapped boxes in the duffle. Each box will contain a part of the packing list to fill the duffle. For example, one might say, "GRAB 2 BATHING SUITS" another will say "GO GET SUNSCREEN" there will be others for fancier dress, jeans or sweatshirt, shoes, etc.

I figured this will make x-mas morning last (since santa isn't leaving much else) and will help with the packing since there is not a lot of time.

I really hope they enjoy this.......keep your fingers crossed!

Old December 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for some nice ideas. Good luck to everyone else who is surprising their love ones w/a cruise!

Old December 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Same situation here.....

I am taking my partner on a cruise in May, and was trying to find a unique way of gifting the "trip". I went to eBay and purchased a model of the ship we'll be going on (for us its Explorer of the Seas). The ship model is the same one they sell on the ship in the gift shop, I believe its a heavy duty resin. I wrapped that with a copy of our itinerary, and our passports.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

oh yeah - and Merry Christmas

Old December 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise40 View Post
I am doing the same thing for my parents this year. I am sending them on a cruise on Princess to NE/Canada in October. I am putting items in the box that represent the areas that they will be seeing and then at the bottom of the box, I will put the brochure in it. I am still trying to come up with some other ideas myself. I have a fake apple (for NYC), box of candy (Boston Baked Beans), Maple syrup (Maine), I am going to the get DVD "Titanic" for Halifax, fake fall leaves. Any other suggestions.

So far you have some good ideas, what about a bottle of sand?
Hi Denise40 - a few suggestions re Boston and Maine - not familiar with the candy - how about tea bags (the Boston Tea Party) - a plastic lobster or an LL Bean catalogue - Maple syrup here in New England means Vermont

Crane