Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!
Hello! I know there's a lot of anticipation about Silversea's Silver Spirit (have read all the threads -- thanks for all the great info). I'm traveling on the ship on a pre-inaugural, two night voyage between Monte Carlo and Barcelona, and will report back on my experience. What questions can I answer?
Mind you, it's important to remember that the ship is just being handed-over by the yard (which means, as with with Seabourn Odyssey in June there might well be features that aren't quite...ready). And because we're only onboard two nights, and it's not a "real" cruise, there may well be experiences that we're not able to sample.
However, there should be plenty worth reporting on -- and I definitely appreciate your insights, questions, and feedback. Please post all and sundry here. Not sure how good the Internet will be onboard but will promise to post lots about the experience, and answers to as many questions as possible, during the week between Christmas and New Year's.
Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Carolyn, thanks so much for your generous offer of first-hand Spirit assistance.
Anxiously awaiting your posts/pics.
Questions follow please:
1. What is the daily house champagne pour? (pommery, Drappier, both?)
2. Will Seishin offer lunch?
3. How many laps on the jogging/walking track equal a mile?
4. How many computers for internet access will the computer room have?
5. Will the new School of the Chef (by Relais and Chateau) be offered on the maiden
6. How many passengers will the Spirit theater hold at one time?
7. What will be a typical Stars Supper Club menu? Stars music offered?
8. When (in 2010) will Silversea offer online specialty restaurant reservations (e.g. Le Champagne, La Terraza, Stars Supper Club, Seishin)
9. Will those of us with confirmed early embarkation on the maiden voyage be allowed to board beginning at 10:30 a.m. on 3 Jan.
in light of Silversea ending early embaraktion fleet wide in 2010?
Carolyn, how wonderful that you will be on the ship and will be writing about it. I always enjoy your writeups. They are wonderful.
1. I would like to get a sense of how you think the size of the new ship works in terms of Silversea providing a luxury experience. Specifically, does the size of the ship work or is it too big?
2. Any comparisons with the new Seabourn ship would be good to in terms of similarities and differences.
3. What are the hours for the Fitness Center?
4. What will the boarding process be like on future sailings. Will passengers be able to board at 12:00 Noon instead of 3:00 PM and enjoy lunch on board the ship while they are waiting for their cabin?
5. Being a new ship, are the internet connectivity technologies any different from the other ships particularly as it relates to speed?
I look forward to reading all of your comments. And as you correctly note, I am sure there will be start up items with the ship as there are with each and every ship or for that matter with land operations whether it be a new hotel or restaurant, show, or some other venue.
Hi, Carolyn, as you know, I am arriving right after you, but things people are asking are:
1) As Wes indicated, will lunch be offered at Seishin? Even the slides Steve Tucker presented said so, but someone came onto his call and said only if a group reserves. Odd since it has been advertised a number of times re. the box lunch. Any grab and go food?
2) We know Seishin degustation prices, but what are the a la carte prices.
3) Does the theatre really look like a theatre?
4) Do you think the bar will work great off the lobby, and what is your description of the whole new lobby format?
5) Do you think the spa is big enough, give the difference in size of Seabourn Odyssey's.
6) Another repeat, what is a typical Stars Club menu?
We'll be at the hotel in Barcelona, but we will have internet and will be reading. I know you are not going to have much time at all.
Most important to me is if the Spirit maintains the high level of servIce of the smaller ships with 540 passengers. I know that may be hard to judge on your preliminary cruise since things won't be settled in, but maybe you can get an idea. Thanks.
Good one because when full, we see some difference in the smaller ships and Whisper/Shadow and definitely a difference in Regent. I am glad you put that on the list. I'm sure everyone going out will comment on it (I hope).
This may be an answer to what you were looking for.
This is an E-mail l recieved from Silversea last week.
These are the changes for Owners, Grand and Royal Suites:
1 free dinner for 2 in Le Champagne once per voyage
I like the 2 hours per day free internet
also 2 hours of worldwide phone use per voyage sector
and yes free drycleaning and pressing as well as free laundry
Hope this helps
Dear MR. Jaffa ,
Thankyou for your recent reservation.
We once again look forward to welcoming you onboard.
We wanted to take the opportunity to update you on some recent improvement's, exclusively for our valued Venetian Members.
This past spring we celebrated our 15th anniversary, and found Silversea’s founding commitment to provide our guests with unique experiences of unsurpassed luxury to be unchanged, even as we look to the future and the expansion of our fleet. We take true pride in knowing the preferences of our discerning guests and how to enhance their Silversea vacation in the most memorable ways.
Special Offers – Remarkable Savings on 2010 Voyages
Now is the perfect time to take advantage of your membership in the Venetian Society by combining your Milestone Rewards with our new 2010 pricing. Save an additional 5% – 10% off already remarkable savings of up to 60% on 2010 voyages. Select 2009 voyages are still available with savings of up to 50%. Many also offer Free Economy Air and/or a $1,000 per suite Onboard Spending Credit. Please log onto the main Silversea Web address to view complete details on our current Special Offers.
Silver ShoreSM Concierge
The Silver Shore Concierge programme is now available! Let our experts customise a shoreside experience exclusively for you. In advance of your voyage, call 800-968-9518 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Butler For Everyone
Dedicated butler service will soon be offered on every ship, in every suite, and to every Silversea guest. Our new butler programme will be rolled out ship-by-ship beginning this autumn, with all ships offering complimentary butler service by December 2009.
As you will be sailing with us in 2010 in a Royal, Grand, or Owner’s Suite, prepare to be delighted by a new array of effortlessly indulgent Silversea amenities we’ve recently added:
Complimentary laundry service including dry cleaning and pressing throughout the voyage
Dinner for two in Le Champagne, one evening per voyage
Two hours of Internet service per day, per suite
Two hours of worldwide phone use from your suite, per voyage segment
Thankyou for your recent reservation & continued support, we look forward to seeing you onboard again in the near future.
Thanks for the info but I was wanting information for Venetian Society members with quite a few sailing days. I already knew about the Internet access etc benefits in the Top Suites but want to know about enhancements for VS members in all suites
I am expecting a busy first few hours on the 23rd with trying to take pics, videos, make dinner reservations, etc. We don't really sail till the 24th, so I expect the first day to be getting acquainted with things, getting our home for 11 nights set up and then seeing Barcelona.
did not get this comment in to edit in time..CC's Sue Bryant points out
the Spirit was delayed for five days from turnover from Fincantieri to SS--
from 12 Dec to today 17 Dec.
No explanation from SS as to why? Can only guess with the multitude of problems
Seabourn Odyssey had when it was turned over to SB this June..maybe like
a punch list (things the builder must fix before you close on your home) Fincantieri
was fixing small items that SS found..only a guess tho.
Silversea officially took delivery of its new, ultra luxury, 540-passenger Silver Spirit. And the ship left the Fincantieri shipyard in Ancona, Italy, today, headed to Monaco, where it will do a preview sailing for media and agents on Sunday (Gene Sloan will be onboard).
The departure from the shipyard was a bit later than expected due to a strike involving workers delivering goods to the vessel, according to a Silversea spokesman. But he said no additional delays were anticipated.
The ship’s official inaugural cruise is a sold out 11-day sailing from Barcelona to Lisbon on Dec. 23. And the 36,000-ton Spirit will be christened in Fort Lauderdale on Jan. 21.
As we previously reported, cool new features on the ship include a hammam in the spa and a supper club with live music and dancing.
btw, Pincus...here is a comparison of the Odyssey and Spirit done in September: