We carried our own wine onto the Star

gtaylor

After postings that I saw here and after I called NCL directly and asked the question (put on hold for about TEN minutes waiting for an answer). I was told that yes, as of November 1st, you could carry your own wine on board, as long as it wasn't available on the ship's wine list. I would have to pay a $10/BOTTLE corkage for my wine in the dining room. OK!

First night in Aqua, I carried my first bottle to dinner. It happened to be a three-liter bottle (we were a group of 9). I was charged $10 for corkage, but before the meal was over, I was charged another $20, as the rule turned out to be that corkage is $10/LITER.

The several nights after that, I was charged $10 for each .750 liter (normal sized) bottle. Shouldn't that have been charged at $7.50? The wait staff didn't seem to even understand the question. No big deal, but I believe that NCL needs to get it's act together and publish (and adhere to) some very specific rules in these cases.

I should add that we didn't finish the 3 litre the first night, and there was no problem bringing it back the next night.

p.s. I should also add that the Star has an EXTENSIVE upper level list of wines available that are not on the published list available on the website or by fax. I don't know what would happen if you tried to carry on a bottle of Opus, as they had several vintages of that available onboard.

Gary

Oh am I disappointed....with such a fine winery as Boeger just up the mountain from you and no Hangtown Red in your selection!! :D I appreciate the info though. Do you recall if they have either Ravenswood Merlot or Clos du Bois Merlot on the winelist? I would like to bring them with me, along with, of course, a few bottles of the old Hangtown Red.

After postings that I saw here and after I called NCL directly and asked the question (put on hold for about TEN minutes waiting for an answer). I was told that yes, as of November 1st, you could carry your own wine on board, as long as it wasn't available on the ship's wine list. I would have to pay a $10/BOTTLE corkage for my wine in the dining room.

Thanks so much for sharing!! :) We have brought our own wine for our past two cruises on HAL (we were disappointed we could not bring our own wine for our wedding cruise in 2003 on NCL but managed - just wanted that favorite wine for our wedding night since we married at a port of call but was told "no" by NCL back then). Anyway, yes, it is great being able to sip it in your cabin when dressing for dinner, etc.

HAL charges $15 per bottle, which thankfully includes the 15% tip (I think it was $13.xx plus tip = $15.00 total). Brought our bottle for dinner - which was not consumed in one sitting.

I'm pleased to see this new NCL policy - and $10 is still better than other cruiselines! :) We enjoy visiting little wineries that I pretty much doubt NCL would have in stock onboard!!

Oh am I disappointed....with such a fine winery as Boeger just up the mountain from you and no Hangtown Red in your selection!! :D I appreciate the info though. Do you recall if they have either Ravenswood Merlot or Clos du Bois Merlot on the winelist? I would like to bring them with me, along with, of course, a few bottles of the old Hangtown Red.
Well, no Hangtown, but I certainly enjoy many of the Foothill Wineries, especially Renwood and Montevinia Zin's, but you're correct, even they weren't with us.

I do remember Ravenswood being on the list, but pretty sure it was the Zin. I also recall that there was a Duckhorn Merlot. They have a lot of high-end wines on display just outside Le Bistro.

I'm not sure that the people checking wine (at Port of LA security before you board) would be aware of what's on the list, but can't be certain because we never found the table where they were doing the checking.

Gary

Archived