Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises Active cruisers unite!

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tips for clean eating on the cruise?

Hi everyone. I've been working out hard and dieting for my upcoming cruise. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for eating healthy while on a cruise. I eat a bodybuilding diet and work out 6 days a week. I end up with 5 small meals a day. Of course it's a challenge with all of the great food on cruises. I'm a dessert girl myself :-)

Old December 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJo View Post
Hi everyone. I've been working out hard and dieting for my upcoming cruise. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for eating healthy while on a cruise. I eat a bodybuilding diet and work out 6 days a week. I end up with 5 small meals a day. Of course it's a challenge with all of the great food on cruises. I'm a dessert girl myself :-)
One of the best tips would be to have breakfast DELIVERED to your stateroom, instead of going to the buffet and being tempted with all those sugary, carb loaded food.

Instead, you can have delivered, for free, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, hard boiled eggs.

Also, limit your dessert/sweets to only 1 meal.

The bottom line is you need to have the WILL POWER not to over eat.

Since I have had a major lifestyle change in eating and fitness, I NEVER gain any weight after a cruise (just finished a 13 nt transatlantic). My traveling companions regularly commented on my 'discipline' in following healthy eating habits dispite all the temptations.

Old December 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokpot View Post
One of the best tips would be to have breakfast DELIVERED to your stateroom, instead of going to the buffet and being tempted with all those sugary, carb loaded food.

Instead, you can have delivered, for free, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, hard boiled eggs.

Also, limit your dessert/sweets to only 1 meal.

The bottom line is you need to have the WILL POWER not to over eat.

Since I have had a major lifestyle change in eating and fitness, I NEVER gain any weight after a cruise (just finished a 13 nt transatlantic). My traveling companions regularly commented on my 'discipline' in following healthy eating habits dispite all the temptations.

You are so inspirational. My favorite meal is breakfast even with my lifestyle change. I love to eat oatmeal every day. I wonder if room service does a veggie egg white omelet. The dessert idea makes a lot of sense. My sweetooth was always my biggest downfall. I will remember that!

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
5,000+ Club

i eat healthier on cruise ships than i do at home. at lunch, most ships have great salad options, and usually grilled vegetables and fish.
Navigator of the Seas Sept 7, 2014, Independence of the Seas Mar 29, 2014, Allure of the Seas Nov 17 2013, Oasis of the Seas May 25 2013, Liberty of the Seas Nov 25 2012, Liberty of the Seas Nov 29 2012, Liberty of the Seas March 2012, Carnival Freedom Sept 2011, Majesty of the Seas Jan 2011, Mariner of the Seas May 2010, Carnival Fantasy September 2009, Majesty of the Seas March 2009, Freedom of the seas May 2008, Carnival Triumph July 2007, Majesty of the seas July 2006, Explorer of the Seas May 2005, Carnival Destiny April 2002, Sovereign of the seas July 2001, Monarch of the seas January 1999, Sovereign of the seas Feb 1998, Viking Serenade April 1997, Big Red Boat June 1996, Song of America October 1995

Old January 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
5,000+ Club

I think the thing that gets most people in trouble is eating when they usually wouldnt...for example...I typically only eat an early lunch and dinner...if I go on a cruise and eat a big breakfast, a lunch, snack, dinner and then get room service late at night I am going to run into problems.
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think it's easier to eat better on a cruise, I'm not pressured by a work schedule & no need to skip meals due to being in a hurry & then overeat when you finally do sit down to a meal.

I lost a few pounds on the 2 week transatlantic cruise. If you enjoy working out you'll still be working on your cruise. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I ordered room service breakfast when I cruised on celebrity - carnival only seemed to have sugary carb type food offered on the breakfast room service menu.

Celebrity Millennium 9/12/2014 (15)
Carnival Miracle 6/11/2013 (7)
Carnival Inspiration 3/4/2013 (4)
Carnival Inspiration 11/19/2012 B2B (4/3)
Carnival Spirit 5/1/2012 (7)
HAL Amsterdam 9/20/2010 (4)
Carnival Liberty 3/20/2010 (7)
Carnival Imagination 12/04/2009 (3)
Celebrity Century 4/25/2009 (14)
Carnival Pride 7/11/2004 (7)
Carnival Celebration 4/16/2000 (7)
Carnival Jubilee 2/12/1995 (7)
NYK Line M.S. Hikawa Maru 5/12/1960 -5/27/1960 Seattle -Yokohama, transpacific with Mom

Old February 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Some people may have good intentions when boarding a cruise ship of eating well and staying away from the 24-hour pizza buffet or the freaking ridiculously delicious desserts. As in my wife’s case, maybe it works out that way in the beginning but eventually you succumb. There is nothing wrong with that. You shouldn’t take a cruise if you don’t plan on enjoying the food.
So you may be wondering whether Penny and I gained any weight. Yes, we did. It wasn’t much at all …3 pounds each. And I’ve already lost two of those pounds in the four days we’ve been back. If anything, my body really probably needed that break. My muscles seemed to have filled out some and my metabolism is stoked again.

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with most posters out here. It's all about choices when you hit the long buffet lines and endless dessert trays

I am not certain of all ships, however, carnival and royal have spa choices right on the MDR menu. That is a no-brainer...there are fabulous choices on there including dessert.

The cruise isn't really about the food is it? Well, maybe for some folks

I lost 20 lbs before my cruise and gained 1.5 pounds after 11 days away from my comfy kitchen with all my 'stuff' available to me. I opted for light beer or light cocktails instead of the frufru fruity drinks loaded with sugar. I ate from the spa choices in the MDR. I ate all protein items for breakfast and drank loads of lemon water. I ate whatever I wanted for lunch from fried to pizza to salad. I saved my sweet treat for evening after the show. I really didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything. We even ate at the specialty restaurant and johnny rockets! For exercise, I did some brisk walking a few times and skipped the elevator a few times after dinner, but didn't work out in the fitness centers.

It's all about choices and you will be fine if you set your personal expectation and try to stick with it. I love this saying from one of my past counsellors: one meal doesn't make a bad day, one bad day doesn't make a bad week, and one bad week doesn't make a bad month--get back on track and catch yourself.

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink360 View Post
I think it's easier to eat better on a cruise, I'm not pressured by a work schedule & no need to skip meals due to being in a hurry & then overeat when you finally do sit down to a meal.

I lost a few pounds on the 2 week transatlantic cruise. If you enjoy working out you'll still be working on your cruise. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I ordered room service breakfast when I cruised on celebrity - carnival only seemed to have sugary carb type food offered on the breakfast room service menu.
I agree. I think it is easier to eat right on a cruise. There are plenty of healthy options even on the buffet. I do tend to eat more, and so I spend a little more time in the gym doing cardio. If I gain 2 or 3 pounds it's gone in a week or so.

Freedom of the Seas 1/19/2014
Freedom of the Seas 12/5/2010
Liberty of the Seas 2/28/2010
Liberty of the Seas 12/13/2008
Navigator of the Seas 1/6/2007
Majesty of the Seas 1/19/1999

42 Days at sea and counting.....

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
50,000+ Club

Avoid buffets and if you do eat at a buffet take smaller portions and when you eat just like a good glass of wine take your time and enjoy each mouthful. Be sure to exercise more and try to walk the steps and avoid the elevators. Eat a lot of salad, vegetables, fresh fruit and fish.

Keith

Old July 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

A cruise is a wonderful opportunity to eat well. Salads and fruits are always available.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

We make a goal at the beginning of our cruises to not take the elevator at all except boarding with our luggage and disembarking. We have done this each and every cruise and we manage not to gain weight even though we drink a wee bit more alcohol than at home! We also go to the fitness center and work out every day too. Good luck... you can do it!

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've recently read that the water onboard ship is really high in sodium due to the water purification process that uses the sea water. I've heard it doesn't taste salty, but the sodium content is still really high which also will make you retain a lot of water.... so when we lose those cruise pounds quickly during the first week back home, often it is just ditching all that sodium retained water. i'm bringing my own case of water this time!
CCL Fantasy Bahamas Oct 2004 4-night
DCL Wonder Bahamas Oct 2005 3-night
DCL Magic eastern Caribbean April 2006 7-night
CCL Inspiration western Caribbean Oct 2006 5-night
RCI Mariner of the Seas eastern Caribbean April 2007 7-night
CCL Freedom western Mediterranean-Italy, France, Spain, Croatia June 2007 12-night
CCL Legend western Caribbean April 2008 7-night
CCL Sensation Bahamas Jan 2009 3-night
CCL Holiday western Caribbean April 2009 5-night
CCL Fascination Bahamas Oct 2009 4-night
CCL Dream western Caribbean April 2010 7-night
CCL Sensation Bahamas New Year's Eve Dec 2010-Jan 2011 3-night
CCL Inspiration western Caribbean April 2011 5-night
CCL Liberty eastern Caribbean May/June 2011 7-night
CCL Freedom western Caribbean July 2011 8-night
CCL Ecstasy Bahamas New Year's Eve Dec 2011-Jan 2012 4-night
CCL Valor eastern Caribbean April 2012 8-night
RCI Mariner of the Seas Greece, Turkey, Italy May2012 12-night
RCI Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean, Dec-New Year's 2012, 4-night
RCI Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean, May 2013, 7-night
CCL Freedom Southern CaribbeanJune-July 2013 8-nt
CCL Legend,Belize, Roatan Cozumel, Gr Cayman, Dec-New Year's 2013,7-night
RCI Liberty of the Seas, Labadee, Jamaica, April 2014, 5-night
RCI Freedom of the Seas, CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, June 2014, 7-night

UPCOMING:
*RCI Allure of the Seas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Nassau, Thanksgiving week 2014, 7-nt
*CCL Breeze, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, April 2015, 6 nt

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendere View Post
I've recently read that the water onboard ship is really high in sodium due to the water purification process that uses the sea water. I've heard it doesn't taste salty, but the sodium content is still really high which also will make you retain a lot of water.... so when we lose those cruise pounds quickly during the first week back home, often it is just ditching all that sodium retained water. i'm bringing my own case of water this time!
That's my opinion too! I did the same on my last cruise, and this was the only one in years that my face did not swell up like a balloon. Yes, there is still the same ship's water used in the coffee or tea and used to prepare the food you eat - but at least your poor kidneys get a bit of break with some regular water throughout the day. Come back to post if it made a difference after your cruise!

NYK Line M.S. Hikawa Maru 5/12/1960 -5/27/1960 Seattle -Yokohama, transpacific with Mom

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
we are really worried about this. Do we put packs of 17 oz. bottles in each of our carry-ons? Is this acceptable to security?
2014 Dec - RCI Oasis of the Seas (2 weeks B2B)
2015 April - RCI Quantum of the Seas - 12 nights

Past Cruises:
2014 Jan - RCI Allure of the Seas
2013 Dec - RCI Allure of the Seas (2 weeks B2B)
2012 Dec - RCI Allure of the Seas (2 weeks B2B)
2011 May - RCI Oasis of the Seas
2009 March - RCI Independence of the Seas
2008 Nov - RCI Independence of the Seas
2007 Sept - RCI Liberty of the Seas
2006 Sept - RCI Freedom of the Seas

Travel to support other obsession:
Sept 2014 - Berlin
Nov 2014 - NYC
Feb 2015 - Tokyo

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default water

I normally bring a whole case of water with me. I leave it wrapped in the plastic I buy it in and attach a luggage tag to the top with packing tape. It gets delivered with my luggage.

As far as watching what you eat I always say no thank you to the rolls at every meal and if you MUST try the pasta dish get the appetizer size.

NCL Seaward 9/95, Royal Majesty 5/96, Royal Majesty 5/97,Dawn Princess 9/98, Sea Princess 3/01, Carnival Miracle 5/05, Carnival Spirit 6/06, Crown Princess 9/07, Carribean Princess 10/08, NCL Spirit 9/09, Carnival Spirit 10/09, Carnival Spirit 04/10, NCL Spirit 10/10, NCL Jewel 12/10, Carnival Pride 3/11, RCI Enchantment of the Seas 12/11, HAL Veendam 05/12, NCL Star 10/12, NCL Dream 05/13, Carnival Legend 10/13, Carnival Splendor 3/14

Old April 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, everyone,
we just stepped off the ship this morning. I am happy to say, YES, bringing the water did indeed help. I actually Only drank bottled water for the entire cruise, with the exception of wine at night (no juices, teas, lemonade, etc). I did have hot chocolate a few times though. We were gone for 5 nights and I singlehandedly went through the 20 water bottles I brought. I wish I had brought more though. Also, I had opened them out of the case and had put them in a duffle bag with a luggage tag. However this time I noticed Several people in line to board carrying on their cases of water. Funny because on past cruises I've never noticed that many carrying on water and soda. Anyway, that afternoon once luggage had been delivered to our cabin, I opened the duffle and there was a letter on top of my water bottles from carnival saying something like, "we had to check your bag since it seemed like there might be soemthing not allowed. We've found it to be alright though. Please be sure to check your Carnival policies. ". So I'm guessing you r supposed to carry on the water. Either that or it is supposed to be left in it's original packaging. I know we will be bringing a case for our cruise in may, but if we can check the cases in tact, then I'll be bringing two cases for the rest of the family, too.
CCL Fantasy Bahamas Oct 2004 4-night
DCL Wonder Bahamas Oct 2005 3-night
DCL Magic eastern Caribbean April 2006 7-night
CCL Inspiration western Caribbean Oct 2006 5-night
RCI Mariner of the Seas eastern Caribbean April 2007 7-night
CCL Freedom western Mediterranean-Italy, France, Spain, Croatia June 2007 12-night
CCL Legend western Caribbean April 2008 7-night
CCL Sensation Bahamas Jan 2009 3-night
CCL Holiday western Caribbean April 2009 5-night
CCL Fascination Bahamas Oct 2009 4-night
CCL Dream western Caribbean April 2010 7-night
CCL Sensation Bahamas New Year's Eve Dec 2010-Jan 2011 3-night
CCL Inspiration western Caribbean April 2011 5-night
CCL Liberty eastern Caribbean May/June 2011 7-night
CCL Freedom western Caribbean July 2011 8-night
CCL Ecstasy Bahamas New Year's Eve Dec 2011-Jan 2012 4-night
CCL Valor eastern Caribbean April 2012 8-night
RCI Mariner of the Seas Greece, Turkey, Italy May2012 12-night
RCI Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean, Dec-New Year's 2012, 4-night
RCI Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean, May 2013, 7-night
CCL Freedom Southern CaribbeanJune-July 2013 8-nt
CCL Legend,Belize, Roatan Cozumel, Gr Cayman, Dec-New Year's 2013,7-night
RCI Liberty of the Seas, Labadee, Jamaica, April 2014, 5-night
RCI Freedom of the Seas, CocoCay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, June 2014, 7-night

UPCOMING:
*RCI Allure of the Seas, St Thomas, St Maarten, Nassau, Thanksgiving week 2014, 7-nt
*CCL Breeze, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, April 2015, 6 nt

Old April 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Hi, everyone,
we just stepped off the ship this morning. I am happy to say, YES, bringing the water did indeed help. I actually Only drank bottled water for the entire cruise, with the exception of wine at night (no juices, teas, lemonade, etc). I did have hot chocolate a few times though.
That's great that the water helped. Thanks for coming back to post! I know for me, bringing on the water or buying some sort of water package is just part of my cruise routine from now on.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
5,000+ Club

That's interesting about the high sodium levels in the ship's water. You certainly cannot taste it.
As to the original post, I'm in favour of a high protein regime... with carbs only at breakfast (muesli + yoghurt + fruit). My eating pattern does not differ much from when I'm not cruising. There is a wonderful assortment of healthy food onboard.

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

EMAIL

Old October 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Had no idea about the sodium in the ships water! That's just crazy!!!
RCCL Quantum November 2014
Celebrity Reflection April 2014
Carnival Breeze September 2013

Carnival Glory May 2013
Carnival Fantasy January 2013
Carnival Pride October 2012
Disney Fantasy September 2012
Carnival Glory May 2012
Carnival Fantasy January 2012
Disney Magic November 2011
Carnival Liberty December 2010
Disney Magic June 2009