Vanilla Beans in the Caribbean

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:54 PM.
Michigan
7,870 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I will be touring most of the Caribbean next year and am looking for the best places (Not Mexico) to pick up Vanilla and Vanilla beans. Any suggestions or ideas is appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

146 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I have seen vanilla beans sold in the market in Martinique, and I bought some over a year ago at the Marigot Market in St. Martin. The ironic thing is, I thought I'd gotten a great deal at 4 beans for $5, but then found out Costco sells a 10 pack for around $12.
Michigan
7,870 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by cruzermon
I have seen vanilla beans sold in the market in Martinique, and I bought some over a year ago at the Marigot Market in St. Martin. The ironic thing is, I thought I'd gotten a great deal at 4 beans for $5, but then found out Costco sells a 10 pack for around $12.
I have never seen any Vanilla beans at Costco.... I will look in Marigot on my next cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Diego, CA
296 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I got some really nice beans in Grenada (i think it is the spice island after all!) I also got some pure extract in Martinque.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Regal Empress -Mexico 1998, NCL Norway- E. Caribbean 1998,Celebrity Century- Mexico 1999,HAL Maasdam E.Caribbean --2000, Carnival W. Caribbean -2001
NCL Alaska - 2004, Oceania Regatta Southern Caibbean -2006, MSC Sinfonia Mediterranean -May 2008, HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean-Jan 2009, RCI Granduer of the Sea-Mexico-March 2009 and Feb 2010, Costa Pacifica W. Mediterranean-March 2010, 45 foot sailboat charter- British Virgin IslandsNov 2010, Carnival Spirit Baja 8 day. Feb 2012, Carnival Inspiration Baja Mexico-Sept 2012
Michigan
7,870 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by peabody99
I got some really nice beans in Grenada (i think it is the spice island after all!) I also got some pure extract in Martinque.

Unfortunately, not visiting either of those islands anytime soon!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

7,010 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
they charge &7.25 for 3 beans and $28.65 for 15 either Mexican or Magagascar. I think these are larger beans than you find in the supermarket.
another choice is to buy the vanilla rums from the Caribbean and add it to the recipe instead of the extract so you get a double kick of flavor and alcohol.
Michigan
7,870 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by m steve
they charge &7.25 for 3 beans and $28.65 for 15 either Mexican or Magagascar. I think these are larger beans than you find in the supermarket.
another choice is to buy the vanilla rums from the Caribbean and add it to the recipe instead of the extract so you get a double kick of flavor and alcohol.

Excellent Idea! I LOVE IT!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature