Legionnaire's victim a former RCI captain

We just learned today that a person who died from Legionnaire's disease after staying at a luxury hotel and then sailing as a passenger on Liberty of the Seas is also a former RCI captain. The victim, identified by the Miami Herald as Tore Myhra, reportedly captained Monarch of the Seas in the 90's. (Read the full story here.)

Do any of you remember Captain Myhra? We'd love to hear your stories.

We just learned today that a person who died from Legionnaire's disease after staying at a luxury hotel and then sailing as a passenger on Liberty of the Seas is also a former RCI captain. The victim, identified by the Miami Herald as Tore Myhra, reportedly captained Monarch of the Seas in the 90's. (Read the full story here.)

Do any of you remember Captain Myhra? We'd love to hear your stories.

didn't know the captain but stayed at that "luxury hotel" prior to 10/24 cruise.......the week after our cruise there were reports of closing the hot tubs on the Liberty with rumers of legionnaires disease.....pretty scary.

It's a shame as this hotel was one of the best we have stayed at and I don't usually rave about hotels.

I remember the news back then of the Monarch hitting a reef as it entered the harbor of St. Maarten (on December 15, 1998), and Captain Myhra (while not at the helm at the time), felt responsible. There is an interesting story about it here on Cruise Law News (both the Legionnaire's and reef incident), as well as a mention of taking (not enough?) water samples from the Liberty of the Seas. http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/royal-caribbean/

Also, there is an old post from 2006 on CruiseCritic about Captain Myhra taking leave of Royal Caribbean:

"Captain Myhra parted company, after 30 years, with RCCL in 1999. Along with his wife, Sue and daughter, Layna, he bought a run-down caravan and camping park in Norfolk, England. His outstanding foresight and organisational skills have now transformed that business into an emormous sucess;short listed for the "U.K. Campsite of the Year" 2006.

He is a happy family man and proud, independant businessman who has considered investing heavily in RCI shares but is deterred from doing so by his knowledge of the companys' management and policy.

The family still cruises from time to time...with NCL!!"

I am not familiar with the Captain, but my heart goes out to him and his family, and those who contract Legionnaire's disease.

This is really sad. Even though the hotel is suspect, it such a shame that the medical staff on the Liberty of the Seas did not get him to a land based hospital sooner. On our recent Indy transatlantic, there was a passenger that was taken off the ship in Madeira after the ship's physican misdiagnosed a heart attack. Maybe RCCL should take another look at its medical staff. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

DH and I ,along with friends from Las Vegas, had dinner with him on the Sun Viking in 1994. Very handsome and personable Captain. Prayers for him and his family. I shall try to find our photo and put it on CC.

Helen

This would be appreciated, thank you.

Archived