Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Celebrity Banishes Catholic Chaplains from Cruise Ships

I have heard from my pastor that on short notice Celebrity Cruise Lines canceled all the chaplain postings on Celebrity and Azamara ships for 2010, with the exception two days: Christmas and Easter Sunday. This left many priests holding nonrefundable airline tickets for which Celebrity refuses to compensate. These chaplains, mostly retired priests, have long provided inter-denominational services on Sundays, both daily and Sunday Masses for Catholic passengers and officers on board, and usually a service for the crew once a week or so. In addition, they also provide informal gratis counseling, wedding vow renewals, etc. For a time Celebrity also had Protestant Chaplains on board for one service a week.

Since Celebrity neither paid the chaplains or provided air fare as they often do with other "entertainers" on board, and since these chaplains spent money on board (including daily tips for room and wait staff and staff who helped set up services), its not clear why Celebrity took this step since all they provided was basic passage--a revenue point that is being deeply discounted wherever you look. Now only Hollard American provides this chaplain service among larger cruise lines.

In spite of daily Mass often being scheduled at impossible times, 30-40 passengers availed themselves of this daily religious renewal on a relaxing cruise. I have been on 16 cruises with this line and always found it a plus to be able to pray at sea. Depending on the size of the ship, and the timing of Sunday services (the 11th Commandment is that one must never compete with Bingo or Shore Shopping talks), often 200-400 people would come to church at sea on Sunday. No more. No More---perhaps Celebrity will have time now for yet another Diamonds International talk instead....

Passengers who enjoyed this religious "activity" on board Celebrity should let RCCL know that although they are cutting back in several passenger service areas, this is one they should keep. I do so hope the rumors about Celebrity going downhill in several areas prove to be untrue. President and CEO is Adam Goldstein at RCCL. Give him a jingle. Otherwise start at www.captainsclub@celebrity.com.

Sad.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Google Celebrity Cruise Catholics

Saturday, December 19, 2009
Celebrity Crusie Line Says No To Catholic Priests

I hope Catholics make their displeasure known.

While we do meet the needs of many guests onboard by supplying a priest, we have recently encountered a great deal of negative feedback pertaining to the "selective" support of one particular religion/faith. While Celebrity Cruises is unable to provide one minister/religious leader of every faith onboard every sailing, we have had to make areduction in the number of Roman Catholic Priests placements onboard.

Is anyone buying that? I mean are people really unhappy with the traditional arrangement of a Catholic Priesst and a generic sort Protestant Minister for the non Catholics?
from
http://opinionatedcatholic.blogspot....ays-no-to.html

Next
Quantum of the Sea Dec 12, 2014

Emerald Princes's Cruise Critics
http://youtu.be/C8eHPfpeVYg

Golden Princess M&G &Slot pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Tch02Q3MI

[color="Red"]Carnival Pride Cruise w/Meet & Greet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIa0Mm5XgA

Silhouette Meet and greet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_qKxwziCY

Cruising Bermuda Triangle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDCn0L7TwM

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda; Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 Caribbean
Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 Panama; Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004 Bahamas
Carnival Paradise 4 April 2005 Baja; Carnival Triumph 30 July 2005 Canada
Norwegian Dawn 11 Dec 2005 Caribbean; Carnival Destiny 18 June 2006 Caribbean
NCL Spirit 10 Dec 2006 Caribbean; Carnival Miracle 10 Oct 2007 Caribbean
Diamond Princess 17 May 2008 Alaska; Explorer of the Sea 12 Dec 2008 Caribbean
NCL Jewel Oct 10, 2009 Canada,Celebrity Mercury 29 Oct 2010 "USA"
Celebrity Silhouette 6 Nov 2011 "Caribbean" "Carnival Pride" May 13, 2013, RCCL "Mariner" Oct 20, 2012
Golden Princess April 10, 2013 Hawaii
Emerald Princess Oct 26 2013 Canada to Florida

fsbsde@yahoo.com

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I assume the cancellation was in compliance with whatever cancellation policy was in the contract between X and the chaplains.

As for X service levels, they have been going up significantly since the launch of Solstice and Equinox, the new Captain's Club perks, the new menu's, etc. X product is better today than it has been in years.

Obviously some people are going to miss the chaplains. If so, send X a letter. But don't assume everybody agrees with you. There are so many religions out there; why do all of us need to pay for free passage for representatives from only one or two religions? Why no Imam, brahmin (hindu priest), etc.? Best to have none. Just my opinion.

Something tells me this is going to be a topic with high moderator attention lol

Best Regards,
Floris

505 nights at sea
285 nights on Celebrity
205 nights on Azamara

Next
December 21, 2014 - Celebrity Millennium: 14 nights Southeast Asia
May 12, 2015 - Celebrity Millennium: 10 nights Alaska
August 30, 2015 - Celebrity Constellation: 11 nights Dalmatian Coast
December 22, 2015 - Azamara Quest: 24 nights Indonesia & Australia (b2b)
May 1, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 16 nights Emirates to Greece
August 11, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 15 nights Norwegian Fjords
December 19, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 16 nights Caribbean (b2b)

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf5585 View Post
While Celebrity Cruises is unable to provide one minister/religious leader of every faith onboard every sailing, we have had to make areduction in the number of Roman Catholic Priests placements onboard.
I rest my case. This is a very fair policy change.

Floris

505 nights at sea
285 nights on Celebrity
205 nights on Azamara

Next
December 21, 2014 - Celebrity Millennium: 14 nights Southeast Asia
May 12, 2015 - Celebrity Millennium: 10 nights Alaska
August 30, 2015 - Celebrity Constellation: 11 nights Dalmatian Coast
December 22, 2015 - Azamara Quest: 24 nights Indonesia & Australia (b2b)
May 1, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 16 nights Emirates to Greece
August 11, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 15 nights Norwegian Fjords
December 19, 2016 - Azamara Quest: 16 nights Caribbean (b2b)

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

My understanding is that the presence of Catholic priests on Celebrity ships was a stipulation from the previous Greek owner of the predecessor of Celebrity. That requirement may have expired the first of the year.

If, in fact, some priests were left holding non-refundable airline tickets I would hope that Celebrity might do something to ease this transition.

I don't see anyone here so far who knows the whole story.
Amadeus Amalegro - Amsterdam to Budapest River Cruise August 2009
Celebrity Equinox -- Ultimate Caribbean, January 2010
Celebrity Solstice -- Western Mediterranean September 2011
Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, February 2013
Celebrity Eclipse - Scandinavia & Russia, May 2013
Norwegian Pearl - Blue Grass in the Caribbean February 2014

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf5585 View Post
Saturday, December 19, 2009
While we do meet the needs of many guests onboard by supplying a priest, we have recently encountered a great deal of negative feedback pertaining to the "selective" support of one particular religion/faith. While Celebrity Cruises is unable to provide one minister/religious leader of every faith onboard every sailing, we have had to make areduction in the number of Roman Catholic Priests placements onboard.
Yes I buy this,
I am sure every relgion represented by passengers and crew on board would like to have a religious leader of their faith on board. Celebrity cannot support only a Catholic Priest and ignoring ALL others.

Last edited by TWELVEOHONE; January 3rd, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Catholic Priests, Bridge, whatever. Any offering on Celebrity or in life to which one avails himself will always be missed if discontinued. On the flip side, those who don't partake won't miss it at all.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

To my mind this change is unfortunate and I will be contacting Celebrity to let my disappointment be known.
04/17/11 RCI Adventure of the Seas
03/27/10 Celebrity Summit
11/25/09 Disney Wonder
03/22/09 Celebrity Solstice
03/17/02 Celebrity Zenith
03/23/01 Celebrity Mercury (2nd time!)
04/12/00 Celebrity Galaxy
03/28/99 Celebrity Mercury
08/08/98 Celebrity Century[/size]

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default maybe b/c I grew up in Albany, NY

I am personally sad to hear this. On my recent Connie cruise, I was impressed at the number of Catholic Masses offered during the 14 days. It's not b/c it will personally affect me.

If Celebrity finds it "necessary" (obviously it's a business decision) to eliminate the Catholic priests, I wish they would've at least done it for future bookings but kept the ones in place whose services they had already invited to cruise with them.

However, perhaps they had already booked the Roman Catholic priests for all of 2010? As I've mentioned on another thread, a friend of mine was already booked to do the bridge teaching/directing for autumn of 2010 and he was just recently cancelled.

I know there were scheduling dilemmas space-wise on the Connie (esp., of course, on at-sea days) but I still disagree with this decision by Celebrity (or RCI).

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestic View Post
Catholic Priests, Bridge, whatever. Any offering on Celebrity or in life to which one avails himself will always be missed if discontinued. On the flip side, those who don't partake won't miss it at all.

Amen.

Past:
Carnival Dream - W Caribbean - Nov 2013 - GOOD
NCL Spirit - W. Caribbean - March 2011 - POOR
Caribbean Princess Repo Cruise Oct 2010 - GREAT
NCL Gem Feb 2010 Florida/Bahamas - FAIR
Carnival Pride - Mex Riviera Feb 2009 - GREAT
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas 2007 - FAIR
NCL SS Norway - Caribbean 1993 (I was 12. GREAT!)

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default I think this is unfortunate

I am really surprised that Celebrity did this.

There are many Catholics who will not cruise unless they can attend a regular Sunday mass with a priest. If they are in port on a Sunday then they could go to mass in Town, but if Sunday falls on a Sea Day, they would not be able to attend.

My parents, forexample, never miss mass and will attend Mass in a foriegn language they do not understand like Spanish or German if that is the only Mass available. When they have cruised on Carnival from Sunday to Sunday they have attended the early mass before they cruise in Galveston, and then the late mass after they disembark before they drive home.

They also went on a HAL cruise last summer that was promoted in Catholic newspapers as offering Daily Mass. There were many people who took that cruise with the specifically for the Daily Mass offerings.

When I was a kid cruising with my parents there was always a Priest on board no matter what line.

Celebrity also has many Catholics on board in the crew from the Phillippines, Croatia, Italy, Goa India, and other places around the world, who really appreciate being able to attend mass on board.

I know they can't have a minister of every faith on board, but Mass is such and important event every week for many Catholics that they wouldn't want to miss.

Bon Vivant -76
World Renaissance - 78
Boheme - 79
Stattendam - 80
Fair Sea - 81
Rotterdam - 93
Mercury - 03
Infinity 11/20/05
Mercury 11/20/06
Mercury 6/15/07 Alaska
Summit 11/29/08 Transatlantic
Solstice 11/2009 Rome to Ft. Lauderdale!
Equinox 2010 Ultimate Caribbean
Silhouette March BTB East/West Caribbean 2013
Silhouette Feb 2014 - Wine Maker's Cruise
Vision of the Seas Dec 2014 -Western Caribbean
Solstice June 19th, 2015 Wine Maker's Cruise to Alaska

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Arizona View Post
I am really surprised that Celebrity did this.

There are many Catholics who will not cruise unless they can attend a regular Sunday mass with a priest. If they are in port on a Sunday then they could go to mass in Town, but if Sunday falls on a Sea Day, they would not be able to attend.

My parents, forexample, never miss mass and will attend Mass in a foriegn language they do not understand like Spanish or German if that is the only Mass available. When they have cruised on Carnival from Sunday to Sunday they have attended the early mass before they cruise in Galveston, and then the late mass after they disembark before they drive home.

They also went on a HAL cruise last summer that was promoted in Catholic newspapers as offering Daily Mass. There were many people who took that cruise with the specifically for the Daily Mass offerings.

When I was a kid cruising with my parents there was always a Priest on board no matter what line.

Celebrity also has many Catholics on board in the crew from the Phillippines, Croatia, Italy, Goa India, and other places around the world, who really appreciate being able to attend mass on board.

I know they can't have a minister of every faith on board, but Mass is such and important event every week for many Catholics that they wouldn't want to miss.
They have 3 choices,stay home and attend mass,go on a cruise line that has mass,or just pray on their own in the privacy of their cabin.Too bad we don't have something multi-denominational that would suffice for all religions.We can only pray for that.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Just curious. What has the Celebrity policy regarding rabbis been?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Occasionally I would happen to be by the venue where a Mass was being held. It was always very sparsely attended. What do Catholic and other religious travelers do when on vacation not on a cruise ship?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cant agree more with Celebrity on this one, why should one religion get preferance over another, it is a wrong that they seem to have put rite. I say well done.

Last edited by DavietheScot; January 3rd, 2010 at 05:50 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavySurf View Post
Just curious. What has the Celebrity policy regarding rabbis been?

I don't remember ever seeing a Rabbi on a Celebrity Ship. However, we took a cruise on NCL Gem a few weeks ago, during Hanukkah, and there were Hanukkah services every night which were led by a Rabbi. Then after services there were latkes and champagne, provided by the cruise line, for everyone who had attended the service. My husband and I only attended services during one of those nights but were very impressed that the cruise director stopped by before services began to insure that the Rabbi had everything he needed and that there were enough latkes and champagne for all of us.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
5,000+ Club

There have always been Rabbis aboard Celebrity ships.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Bell View Post
There have always been Rabbis aboard Celebrity ships.
We don't cruise over the Jewish Holidays. Having said that, we often go to Shabbat services and I have yet to see a Rabbi.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teajak View Post
They have 3 choices,stay home and attend mass,go on a cruise line that has mass,or just pray on their own in the privacy of their cabin.Too bad we don't have something multi-denominational that would suffice for all religions. We can only pray for that.
I agree. If anything religious is provided, it should be multi-denominational.

Jesus said: "The kingdom of God is within you." That being applicable to most religions, not just Catholic (and not just Christian), any faith should be able to survive without a weekly mass.
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Original Info Only on a Blog

Did a search on Celebrity website, on Google and others and only found the Blog that the OP is referencing. The Blog added it 19 Dec but doesn't list the actual source it got the info from except for a general reference to AOS-USA. As what occurs sometimes, as I type this, the actual Celebrity info may become available, but right now, this Blog the OP is 'quoting' is the only source I can find.

So before we all decide Celebrity is cutting Catholics lose, or is making a good decision, lets find out the real status. Not that I don't believe every Blog posting and start to nail the evildoers, I guess we should take a breath and see what occurs. I also went to the referenced source (AOS-USA) and there isn't anything there, at least for non-members.

Denny

Closed Thread