amtrak for a port canaveral cruise

spacewoman

hey folks - looking for some suggestions. Really want to go to Florida later this year for a cruise for my big 5-0. I'm really liking the group cruise on the dream Nov 6. Want to take amtrak out of penn station in NYC to Florida. The don't have a stop near Port canaveral that I can see on their website. I'm thinking go into Orlando and get a shuttle to the pier area a day before and stay overnight.

Those of you that may live in FL wondering if there might be a closer station than Orlando and would like recommedations for a hotel near the pier. I've looked at cruises going out of Lauderdale and Miami as Amtrak has stops there but the Dream keeps calling my name although I do see better itinerary on the Freedom. Decisions, decisions:D

Thanks

It would be so much easier to go out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale than to go into Orlando and then have to get to the coast and back.

Id pick a S. Fl. departure this time rather than all the extra hassle. You can always just grab a taxi for cheap if you arent going so far rather than have to time and plan on a shuttle.

I was going to ride a train from Fort Laud. to orlanda for a cruise.

After finding out the costs of travel from the orlanda area train station to Port Canav.It was easier to drive.

By the way, Miami Amtrak to Port of miami. Around 20 miles.

Fort Laud. Amtrak. 4 miles.

Oralndo area Amtrak to port canav. around 60 miles.

Hpe this helps some.

Now this is very interesting. according to Amtrak. The trip from penn station to Orlando Duration: 23 hr, 25 min and gets there in 1 day for $117. Heck of a lot cheaper then flying but the extras would bump it up. hotel/transporation etc.. If you have the time and want to see the country... why not.

I'm looking at it as a way to see the countryside on the way down. I haven't flown since 2000, I'm a white knuckle flyer, and hubby (who used to fly all the time) won't fly because he feels security at NYC area airports stinks. Don't bash us we know it's our problem:rolleyes: I'll fly only if Capt Sullenberger flies the plane:)

But -- options out of NY piers are getting slim and none. Only Carnival is Miracle which we've done twice and itinerary is now florida and bahamas. I've looked Florida and I've written down 8 cruises on 3 lines that I like. So I'm looking at this as a new adventure to Florida. The Cruise Critic group cruise is the best deal but the BUT part of it is no amtrak stop close to Port Canaveral. I'm saving so much by going to Florida that I can add a cab ride and an overnight stay at a hotel into my costs and it's still cheaper than going out of New York. I priced a Ramada Inn 2 miles from the cruiseport at Lauderdale for $71 with free ride to port. Carnival Freedom is doing a panama canal trip on Oct 23 for 8 days that's priced right too. So I have lots of choices, was just looking for an amtrak stop closer to port canaveral than the Orlando stop I was coming up with. So any suggested stop closer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at it as a way to see the countryside on the way down. I haven't flown since 2000, I'm a white knuckle flyer, and hubby (who used to fly all the time) won't fly because he feels security at NYC area airports stinks. Don't bash us we know it's our problem:rolleyes: I'll fly only if Capt Sullenberger flies the plane:)

But -- options out of NY piers are getting slim and none. Only Carnival is Miracle which we've done twice and itinerary is now florida and bahamas. I've looked Florida and I've written down 8 cruises on 3 lines that I like. So I'm looking at this as a new adventure to Florida. The Cruise Critic group cruise is the best deal but the BUT part of it is no amtrak stop close to Port Canaveral. I'm saving so much by going to Florida that I can add a cab ride and an overnight stay at a hotel into my costs and it's still cheaper than going out of New York. I priced a Ramada Inn 2 miles from the cruiseport at Lauderdale for $71 with free ride to port. Carnival Freedom is doing a panama canal trip on Oct 23 for 8 days that's priced right too. So I have lots of choices, was just looking for an amtrak stop closer to port canaveral than the Orlando stop I was coming up with. So any suggested stop closer would be greatly appreciated.

We went out of Port Canaveral about 18 months ago. It is a real easy drive from Orlando to PC. The rental car company we used was Enterprise and they did not charge us a one way fee over there or back. They have plenty of people flying in and out to make it work out.

As for a hotel the Ramada I hear is nice, but you may want to go to the ports of call for FLA departures and check it out. There are lots of locals there that give very good info.

As for the Train. If I were you I would go in at least a day early. Not sure about that run, but I hear the Chicago to New Orleans run is often NOT on time and is subject to long delays at times.

What ever you decide.... Enjoy!!!

From a locals view:

The train station is near downtown Orlando and getting a rental car at the station should not be that difficult, just make arrangements ahead of time. Once you have a car the drive to the port from the station is easy. I work very close to the station and drive about half way to the port everytime I drive home. I would say that at the most it would take you an hour to get from the train station to the door of your hotel. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

I'm liking the car rental one way idea. Time to go to florida brings us in after 6 p.m. at night so planning on being in Florida day before cruise as this doesn't even come close to a 4p.m embarking last call. Anyone know the cost of a one way car rental Orlando to Port Canaveral?

I'm looking at it as a way to see the countryside on the way down.

Wellllll ..... I'll comment on THAT one . . .

I've taken the AutoTrain 'tween DC and Sanford FL twice; and your tracks will/might be dif' but: The tracks run for the most part, thru the industrial sections of the towns, U C lots of backs of warehouses .... if anywhere near populated regions it ain't the $250,000 and up houses (do YOU live near the tracks?) and for the most part the scenery is over grown areas beaten back just enuf for the tracks and falling down signal poles and lines no longer used by the railroad.

Occasionally you run by a river and maybe cross a bridge but few and far between. Just trying to manage your expectations here . . .

On the plus side the dinner I had on the AutoTrain both times exceeded my expectations .... I DID have a sleeper and sleeper food vs non-sleeper food is different I understand but mine put airline food AWAY.

On the minus side, I'm a light sleeper and the engine blows the whistle approximately every 38.95786 seconds all night long .... and the a/c acted up both my times so the room was not comfortable for sleeping.

On the flip plus ... you can bring anything you like with you and bringing your own libations, a PC with a movie or two and/or a loaded Ipod and a good book makes it a comfortable trip.....

The AutoTrain is unique but I'd expect several of these comments to apply in general . . . a few years ago my SisterInLaw came from Minnesota to Miami for a visit. She too, did not fly. Came down by train . . . flew back.

3 hours of pain vs 24 hour of pain . . .

My mom takes Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale from Philly every year. She really enjoys the trip. She carries on her own luggage and puts it on the rack above her seat. The fair is equal to or can be even lower than the price of a round-trip airline ticket. The Amtrak station in Ft. Lauderdale is only a couple of miles from downtown Ft. Lauderdale and only a few miles from Port Everglades. The train offers hot meals (although you can bring your own sandwiches, beverages, even wine); my mom says the food is pretty good considering you are on a train. Go online to www.amtrak.com or call them at 1-800-USA-RAIL. I've found their agents to be very helpful.

Amtrak is a great way to travel that sure beats flying. Just be sure to get there a day early and I would suggest a sleeper room if traveling overnight. The sleeper fare includes all of your meals on board. I just returned from an Amtrak trip in December and the food was excellent!

If luggage is a concern, you can check bags that you won't need on the train in NYC and they will be be put in the baggage car to Orlando. No worry about them getting lost as they will be on the same train with you and there is no additional charge as with the airlines unless you check more than 3 bags. You can bring two bags on the train with you though.

You should really consider Amtrak as opposed to flying. I think the extra connection time will be worth it.

Archived