Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Disney Transportation or Car Rental?

We will be flying to Orlando the day before our cruise leaves and are thinking about staying on property at an All Star Resort since we have friends in the area who can get us tickets to Disney for free. Since we may stay on property (and can take advantage of the free bus to the resort from the airport, as well as the free transportation around Disney) we are wondering if it would make sense to rent a car to drive to Port Canaveral the next day or pay for the Disney transfers. Transfers are $70 pp and we have 4 in our party (2 adults and 2 young kids).

And advice would be appreciated!

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey! I highly recomment that you opt to rent a car instead...The Disney transfers are way to expensive, I am arriving also at MCO the night before the cruise ..I rent a car at the airport with Avis and i will return it at Cape Canaveral the following day, they offered free shuttle and it gives you the opportunity to drive around Orlando or visit the parks while there.Also i only pay 70 bucks for the one day rental, cheapest than the transfer.

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd get a rental car. We usually get one using rental codes for ~$40-55.00 for the way to the port. On the way back, it's a little more than what I posted above. It' easy to do the whole rental, the picking up and dropping off. It saves a lot of money.

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was going to suggest the transfer until I saw there were four of you. You might consider a rental to the port but Disney transfers to the airport as that way you'll get onboard checkin and luggage handling if headed straight to MCO.

-------------------------
UPCOMING CRUISES
Jewel of the Seas (1/15), Southern Caribbean
Brilliance of the Seas (7/15), Norwegian Fjords
Liberty of the Seas (1/16), Western Caribbean
PREVIOUS CRUISES
Celebrity Century (3/14), California Coastal * Carnival Breeze (01/14), Southern Caribbean * Carnival Glory (06/13), New England/Canada * Disney Fantasy (01/13), Western Caribbean * HAL Maasdam (05/12), Canada & New England * HAL Oosterdam (12/11), Mexican Riviera Holiday * HAL Oosterdam (05/11), Alaska including Glacier Bay * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Mexican Riviera * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Cruise to "Neverland" * Disney's Magic (01/10), Eastern Caribbean * NCL's Norwegian Dawn (01/09), Eastern Caribbean * RCI's Legend of the Seas (12/05), Western Caribbean Holiday * NCLA's Pride of Aloha (01/05), Hawaii * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (12/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (04/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04), Baja Mexico * Princess' Star Princess (6/03), Alaska * RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01), Mexican Riviera * Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96), Western Caribbean * RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94), Baja Mexico

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Although people on here almost always tell you to rent a car because its cheaper...I like not having to deal with your luggage when Disney handles everything. To me its worth the extra $ not to deal with it...but to each their own...

Shelley

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are renting a car from Enterprise, and so far have been very impressed with the process. Every time I called to ask a question I got an intelligent helpful person, and we are paying a fraction of what we would have with any other form of transportation. We are arriving Saturday and driving up to my Mom's in Lady Lake, then taking her and the 5 of us to Port Canaveral Sunday and dropping the car off (hubby will drop off car and use the free shuttle). We got a Minivan for 75.00, and it's all considered a single day's rental! That's less than half of the cost of just getting us to my Mom's place, let alone the port the next day. For the ride home, we got a sedan for about 40.00 for the 5 of us and Mom is going to hang around the area with friends. I now have an extra $100.00 in my budget for fun activities. More if you consider we're spending Saturday night at my Mom's instead of a hotel, which was the original plan.

Old January 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell77 View Post
Although people on here almost always tell you to rent a car because its cheaper...I like not having to deal with your luggage when Disney handles everything. To me its worth the extra $ not to deal with it...but to each their own...

True and read some people prefer this.

For us it's saves my family of 4 at least $200.00. I can handle my own baggage for this savings. Besides the porters at the port will take out your baggage from the car if you'd like, so that really leaves us putting our bags into the car once on the way to the port.

On the way home, once more.

Old January 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneah View Post
True and read some people prefer this.

For us it's saves my family of 4 at least $200.00. I can handle my own baggage for this savings. Besides the porters at the port will take out your baggage from the car if you'd like, so that really leaves us putting our bags into the car once on the way to the port.

On the way home, once more.
Like I said, to each his own. Personally for me, being able to put my checked bags outside my cabin the night before the last day, and not see or touch them again until I land at my home airport is worth the extra money. To those that its not, most people will tell you to rent a car, as I said in my first post.

Shelley

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Seba1,

I see you wrote you have 2 young kids. If you rent a car don't forget car seats if needed.

Old January 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrislc View Post
I was going to suggest the transfer until I saw there were four of you. You might consider a rental to the port but Disney transfers to the airport as that way you'll get onboard checkin and luggage handling if headed straight to MCO.
This is exactly what we do!! We like having the rental car on the front end, so that we can do a grocery or other stop on the way to both the parks and ships. But we like the onboard checkin and luggage handling for the return, well worth the extra money this way.

Old January 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

i hope this link can help you!...

.http://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&so...SO01LXZVic2CRQ

Old January 12th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone! I have a lot to think about.

Old January 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am glad that you asked the question. I too will pay for Disney transportation. Mainly, because I don't want to get lost, and then Disney will know where they are going....When I do go on vacation near here, I do the driving and it's ok if I make a wrong turn as I am never in a hurry..however, I don't want to miss the ship and the other thing...I am very well, deathly afraid of water, so I want to be on time and not worrying about anything else..I know my grandkids will put the joy in the entire time...

God Bless You, Marilyn

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Disney transportation is very good

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
I am glad that you asked the question. I too will pay for Disney transportation. Mainly, because I don't want to get lost, and then Disney will know where they are going....When I do go on vacation near here, I do the driving and it's ok if I make a wrong turn as I am never in a hurry..however, I don't want to miss the ship and the other thing...I am very well, deathly afraid of water, so I want to be on time and not worrying about anything else..I know my grandkids will put the joy in the entire time...

Just an FYI. It is virtually impossible to get lost going from the airport to the port. You literally leave the airport and stay on the same highway until you see the ship.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Disney transport

For our Canal cruise we will use the cruise line transport. One I have always wanted to ride in the cool ship looking buses abd second I am going to be on the ship for 15 nights! I do not kneed to be first one on the ship.
Lexi

Old January 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

FYI - I was very impressed with the Disney transfers. In addition, it was a plus not having to deal with the luggage transfers. However, if I were paying $280, I might think differently. I also know some prefer a rental car when visiting the parks because it is faster to get around than using the Disney transportation. However, when I'm on vacation, I really don't want to drive. You also have two car seats to worry about if you rent a car, which means two more things to lug with you and store.

UPCOMING CRUISES
Jewel of the Seas (1/15), Southern Caribbean
Brilliance of the Seas (7/15), Norwegian Fjords
Liberty of the Seas (1/16), Western Caribbean
PREVIOUS CRUISES
Celebrity Century (3/14), California Coastal * Carnival Breeze (01/14), Southern Caribbean * Carnival Glory (06/13), New England/Canada * Disney Fantasy (01/13), Western Caribbean * HAL Maasdam (05/12), Canada & New England * HAL Oosterdam (12/11), Mexican Riviera Holiday * HAL Oosterdam (05/11), Alaska including Glacier Bay * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Mexican Riviera * Disney's Wonder (01/11), Cruise to "Neverland" * Disney's Magic (01/10), Eastern Caribbean * NCL's Norwegian Dawn (01/09), Eastern Caribbean * RCI's Legend of the Seas (12/05), Western Caribbean Holiday * NCLA's Pride of Aloha (01/05), Hawaii * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (12/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (04/04), Baja Mexico * RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04), Baja Mexico * Princess' Star Princess (6/03), Alaska * RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01), Mexican Riviera * Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96), Western Caribbean * RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94), Baja Mexico

Old January 25th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would also check out a shuttle service. Then you can get the door to door service and not have to handle your luggage. It'll be more than renting a car, but much less than the cost of the Disney transportation. That, and you can get them to include car seats if you still need them.

Cocoa Beach Shuttle gets mostly good reviews here. I haven't used them, but will include them in my options for my summer cruise out of Port Canaveral.