Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Just saw this online.

From the article:
Princess Cruises is reviving a signature tradition from the early days of cruising, the opportunity for passengers to have non-sailing friends and family come aboard on embarkation day to wish them a "bon voyage."
The "Bon Voyage Experience," as Princess is calling it, will cost $39 per person.
Princess says visitors who sign up for the new program will get a four-course dining room lunch with wine on the ship, a tour of the vessel and a souvenir photo. They and the passengers they are accompanying will have access to priority embarkation, and they'll be allowed onboard for about four hours. The $39 fee for the experience can be applied to a future Princess cruise.
The program will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, and then roll out to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruis...&ak=78458.blog

My reaction - what a unique (and smart) idea! I remember when non-cruisers were allowed to visit ships (for free) on embarkation day many years ago, and it was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I'm sure it was great advertising for the cruise line, too. What do you all think?
Sitmar, Home lines, Chandris, Dolphin, and some long gone but not forgotten

Photos: Our cruises
Most recent cruises:

Veendam - Canada/New England B2B - 6/1/13
Maasdam - 3/8/13
Caribbean Princess - Christmas - 12/22/12
Crown Princess - Greek Isles, Venice-Rome - 6/17/12
Nieuw Amsterdam - 3/25/12 (DD's bingo win cruise)

Email: Email me

Our holiday tradition - celebrating Christmas and New Years at sea

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:27 AM
10,000+ Club

I'd rather skip the lunch and the $39.00 fee, and just allow visitors aboard.

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't like it at all! With today's terrorist threats I don't need anyone having even a slight chance of someone planting anything in a hidden corner. I'm sure some will argue that even a passenger could do that, but why ask for more chances of trouble? We've had family who lives near ports join us for pre-sail parties in the mid '70's, but that was a much different time.
Sitmar 5 cruises, Royal Caribbean 6 cruises, Home Lines 1 cruise, Diamond Princess LA-Hawaii Jan. 17, 2008, Diamond Princess Alaska Southbound May 31, 2008, Ruby Princess Transatlantic/Med. April 18, 2009,
& Med. April 19, 2010, Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic Oct. 31, 2010, Emerald Princess Transatlantic September, 2012, Grand Princess Hawaii April, 2013,
Emerald Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess March 15 & 20, 2014 B2B
Ruby Princess September, 2014 Transatlantic
JULY 19TH, 2014--40TH ANNIVERSARY OF MY FIRST CRUISE!

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I do not like it either from a security perspective. I agree it is a nice idea but unfortunately not in the times in which we live.

The following agencies oversee cruiseline security and I am surprised that they would allow this. These agencies include the U.S. Coast Guard, the Department of Transportation, Customs and Border Protection, Office of Naval Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, among others.

Past Cruises:
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal)
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess
Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas
June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas
July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas
Feb. 1996 - Song of America

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infi View Post
What do you all think?
Ingenious of Princess to pass along part of its advertising budget this way, but I hope it fails. Just what the embarkation process needs: more people.

Caro

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterCaro View Post
Ingenious of Princess to pass along part of its advertising budget this way, but I hope it fails. Just what the embarkation process needs: more people.

Caro
I agree with that !!!

Past Cruises:
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal)
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess
Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas
June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas
July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas
Feb. 1996 - Song of America

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't like it.
More time spent catering to people not sailing.
Are they going to search them too?
How can they be sure they will all get off?
More people to get in the way.

I am leaving in April from FLL and I haven't heard anything about it from Princess as an option. S.

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
5,000+ Club

I agree with the risky aspect of this. I do understand it's a way for Princess to make a few extra dollars, but is it worth the risk?

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think it is a smart move from a marketing prospective. It will as you say increase the number of people going through the ship and port during embarkation. However, when you consider how few people will likely take advantage of it, it probably won't be noticeable.

Sunbird Mediterranean and Africa 07/99, Golden Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov/03, Sun Princess Southern Caribbean Apr/04, Star Princess Western Caribbean Nov/04, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan/05, Louis Hellenic Calypso Greek Islands Jun/05 Coral Princess Panama Canal Nov 4/05, Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 29/06, Sapphire Princess US Pacific Coastal May 13/06, Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean Sept 30/06, NCL Crown Bermuda Sept 23/07, Diamond Princess Hawaii Feb. 1/08, Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Feb. 8/09, Caribbean Princess Canada New England Sept. 5/09, B2B Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 24 and Jan 31/09, Crown Princess Canada Colonial America Oct 17/10, Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov. 6/11, Crown Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 28/12, Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean Feb 4/12, Crown Princess Greek Isles Oct 15/12, Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan 26/14

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

In theory a great idea but we will see how well it works. I forsee it slowing down embarkation, and after a few sailings are late leaving port because they had to find some one that didn't get off when called that it will end quickly

1995 May Crown Princess Alaska
1996 Jan Crown Princess S Caribbean
1997 Feb Crown Princess S Caribbean / Sept Crown Princess Panama Canal
1998 June Island Princess Alaska / Oct Crown Princess Tahiti-Hawaii
1999 June Norway NCL Norway / Sept Mercury Celebrity Alaska
2000 Jan Rhapsody RCL Mexico / March Grand Princess E Caribbean
July Regal Princess Alaska / Oct Dawn Princess S Caribbean
2001 Feb Millennium W Caribbean / May Statendam HAL Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Oct Sea Princess Mexico
2002 May Summit Celebrity Hawaii-Vancouver / July Grand Princess W Caribbean
Aug Legend RCl Alaska / Nov Prinsendam HAL Australia NZ
2003 Jan Splendour RCL W Caribbean / March Mercury Celebrity Pacific Coast
May Sun Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
2004 Jan Dawn Princess S Caribbean 2X (B2B)
Oct Sapphire Princess Mexico
2005 May Sun Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Oct Dawn Princess Mexico
2006 Feb Liberty Carnival Caribbean / May Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal
Oct Dawn Princess Mexico
2007 May Dawn Princess Alaska / Sept Grand Princess TransAtlantic
2008 March Ryndam HAL Mexico Sea Cortez / Sept Dawn Princess Alaska
2009 Jan Star Princess South America Antarctica / May Star Princess Alaska
Sept Freedom RCL Caribbean
2010 March Star Princess South America Brazil / Aug Royal Princess Alaska
Dec Sapphire Princess Mexico
2011 May Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal / Aug Diamond Princess Alaska
NB/SB (B2B)
2012 Feb Grand Princess S Caribbean / June Sea Princess Alaska
Nov Island Princess Panama Canal
2013 Jan Pacific Princess E Caribbean / May Island Princess NB/SB (B2B)
Grand Princess Mexico Sea Cortez
2014 Jan Grand Princess Hawaii / June Crown Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
2015 Dec Pacific Princess 50th Anniv Mexico

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
40,000+ Club

I think Princess has a great marketing idea offering this.

As for security, Just think, these guests will not be carrying on luggage or the amount of items that regular passengers would be, but I am sure they will need to go through the same security procedures as regular passengers. So, I see no more security risk with this as with anyone else.

Way back when, we were allowed to board any princess ship in port with us for a tour, all it took was us showing our cruise card from our ship. We did this in a few foreign ports to check out the other ships that happened to be there. You could have lunch and walk around exploring with no problem at all. I know times have changed since then. But as long as the visitors go through the security process, I don't feel at all threatened by this.

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can you imagine if this was going to take place in San Juan.

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Princess may take measures to insure there is no risk. When we were invited to have lunch when the Crown launched in NYC - we had to sign up ahead of time and give all kinds of info including our passports. The passports were collected before boarding and then returned after lunch.

I was one happy camper!! The "visitors" must be guests of someone sailing so maybe this could work. I would love to have may family join me for lunch!! I would not want this to be unsafe!!!!

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think this would have any impact on security or the boarding process. It is limited to only 50 guests at each embarkation port. And each guest still needs to fill out all the security information online more than 6 days before their visit, just as passengers are required to do. This would allow the various agencies to run their security checks. Since the group is only 50 additional people, I don't see this causing any delays going through the boarding process, it isn't like they will have a lot of luggage to scan and they will likely all board as a single group (and since they are having lunch -- they will probably be boarding early and have no impact on all the passengers arriving later).

And I don't see this any different to the many visiting groups I have seen on ships over the recent few years. I have seen large groups of Travel Agents, visiting the ship for the day while taking tours. And on our sailing through South America we had all the families of the crew at every port. When the ship stopped in the country of a crew member Princess gave the crew member the day off and they were allowed to bring their families onboard.

So Princess is already doing this for many groups. Now they will provide a guest experience for those passengers that would like to bring on their families of friends. When I sailed out of San Francisco I would have loved to bring a friend onto the ship. She has never sailed and is convinced the ships are too small. I know that if I could just get her onboard she would change her mind...

Here is the link to the PR Newswire that provides a lot of additional information:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Prince...html/print?x=0

Last edited by SilentTraveller; February 11th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I hate this idea. If they really want to make extra bucks, dock an old, non-sailable ship there and charge people entrance fee for an "ultimate stationary cruise experience".

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

This was quite a bit of fun in the olden days , and I think it's a pretty cool idea now. I remember doing this in the 70's when my relatives cruised on the Carla C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagdancer View Post
Can you imagine if this was going to take place in San Juan.
Here we go again, one more chance for people to insult the general population of an entire country for the actions of a few. Of course, in SJ the ship would be overrun with the local savages, I get it.

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well I love it. I remember years ago getting to go on board with some friends who were going on their honeymoon cruise. We had a great afternoon and I got to explore the ship. This would have worked out great a few weeks ago when friends of ours came into town and were doing a RT Los Angeles to Hawaii. Would have loved to have spent the afternnoon with them on the Golden and seen the upgrades to the ship. As long as you have to sign up ahead of time I have no issues with it.

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto2Kansas View Post
I think Princess has a great marketing idea offering this.

As for security, Just think, these guests will not be carrying on luggage or the amount of items that regular passengers would be, but I am sure they will need to go through the same security procedures as regular passengers. So, I see no more security risk with this as with anyone else.

Way back when, we were allowed to board any princess ship in port with us for a tour, all it took was us showing our cruise card from our ship. We did this in a few foreign ports to check out the other ships that happened to be there. You could have lunch and walk around exploring with no problem at all. I know times have changed since then. But as long as the visitors go through the security process, I don't feel at all threatened by this.
I agree, on all counts. I think it's a unique idea. I think the security risk would be quite low, for the reasons mentioned above. Plus, I can't imagine there will be a crush of people doing this on every cruise, so doubt the impact on embarkation will be significant. Plus, maybe this will be one more way for Princess to earn some extra revenue and keep other costs down for the rest of us passengers. And I love the idea of the fee being used as an OBC for a future cruise; great idea to help woo new Princess passengers.

5:00_Somewhere & SoxFanCruiser

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." -- Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. "Mark Twain")

Looking Forward To:
November 2014 - Regal Princess, Eastern Caribbean
January 2015 - Golden Princess, South America/Cape Horn
Nov 2015 - Royal Princess, S Carib Medley

Fondly Remembered:
♦ Oct 2000 - Sun Princess, Mex Riv ♦ Mar 2003 - Golden Princess, E Carib ♦ Feb 2004 - Grand Princess, W Carib ♦ Mar 2006 - Star ("Char") Princess, W Carib ♦ Dec 2006 - Caribbean Princess, E Carib ♦ Sep 2007 - Tahitian Princess, Fr Polynesia - Hawaii ♦ Feb 2008 - Golden Princess, Mex Riv ♦ Jun 2008 - Caribbean Princess, E Carib (NYC RT) ♦ Dec 2008 - Ruby Princess, W Carib ♦ Jun 2009 - Diamond Princess, Alaska (Glaciers + Land Tour) ♦ Oct 2009 - Caribbean Princess, SE Carib (NYC-San Juan Repo) ♦ Feb 2010 - Ruby Princess, SE Carib ♦ Oct 2010 - Ruby Princess, E Carib ♦ Dec 2010 - Crown Princess, W Carib ♦ Apr 2011 - Coral Princess, Panama Canal (Full Transit) ♦ Dec 2011 - Crown Princess, S Carib ♦ Mar 2012 - Crown Princess, SW Carib
♦ Dec 2012 - Ruby Princess, E Carib ♦ Apr 2013 - Priorities (Catamaran), BVI 50th B-Day charter ♦ Nov 2013 - Royal Princess, E Carib ♦ Jan 2014 - Caribbean Princess, W Carib

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Think it is a great marketing idea!! I remember when I was a teenager, my parents took a trans atlantic and we were able to go on the ship and look around...sigh, that was a long time ago

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
20,000+ Club

I like the idea. I've got a friend taking a local Princess cruise. I'm going to see if I can take advantage of this.