Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Richard, on Silversea (Cloud, Wind, Shadow, Whisper) you cruise fare is all inclusive
for The Restaurant (Compass Rose equivalent), La Terraza, and Pool Grill for lunch.
On the new Spirit, you cruise fare is all inclusive for The Restaurant, Stars Supper club (light after dinner snacks), La Terraza, and Pool Grill (lunch & Dinner(Grill under the Stars (use Hot Lava Rocks to cook filet Mignon, ribeye, tiger prawns--this dining concept was
a hit on our January Spirit crossing as almost every night the Grill under the stars was
booked out. Silversea is partially inclusive when it comes to Le Champagne (four ships above) and on the Spirit, where you will also pay a $40pp fee for the nine course Asian dinner. (u can pay an additional $40pp to have saki poured with your courses) but in Seishin complimentary wine is served with your meal unlike Le Champagne. Techniques we use to make the Le Champagne and Seishin fee more palatable is use our ship board credit we get on every Silversea cruise ($300) by depositing with our AMX Plat card. We then can pay the $30 pp fee and order one white and one red with the meal bringing the cost to about $150 total. You are not compelled to order wine with your meal in Le Champagne. For the $30pp fee, they will first pour you the house champagne (pommery) to start with. No other wine will be served unless you order off the Connosieurs' wine list. Another option to save 25% off full degustation/wine pour menu
in Le Champagne is to order a Bon Voyage gift to yourself/friend at least 14 days prior to sailing and they will charge your credit card $300. We
prefer the all inclusive restaurant policy on Regent more than the partially inclusive on SS (fee for two specialty restaurants). However, as you intimated in your post above Richard, you will have a wonderful luxury cruise on either line--we like the Shadow and Whisper as we do the Navigator (they were built by Mariotti shipyard) but we prefer the Voyager over the Spirit.

Last edited by WesW; February 20th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old February 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Time will tell

We too have been disappointed with Regent, particularly the decline in service and food and the constant expansion of all-inclusive coupled with increasing costs, so after almost 250 days on RSSC, we are trying Silversea in April - Silver Shadow from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale. If that cruise goes well, we'll take the triple back-to-back Istanbul-Athens-Venice-Monaco cruise on the new Silver Spirit in September-October, 2011. It includes calls around the Black Sea, in Turkey and the Greek islands, Cyprus, 2 calls each in Israel and Egypt, more Greek islands, Venice overnight, Croatia, Malta, more Italy and ending in Monte Carlo. We think that’s a marvelous trip, allowing us to see a variety places we’ve wanted to see on one [mostly] eastern Med cruise.

The information about all the extra charges for alternate dining and wine with dinner on Silversea is really disquieting, particularly as we will again have to pay for the Internet, and do or pay for laundry. So in case the trial run on the Shadow this April doesn’t work out better, we’ve booked the new Seabourn Odyssey from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale via the Amazon next February-March, and we’ll see how that goes. One or the other, or at least a part of one, has to go, unless some economic miracle develops.

It’s really a shame, RSSC was so good, and many of the Platinum perks are so nice, but we just haven’t been happy with the cutbacks, first in cabin service, and lately in food and dining service. And we prefer to make our own excursion arrangements rather than join the thundering herds on the busses. We like a drink, but not enough to support the all-inclusive policy. Wine with dinner plus the set-up was plenty for us, although we would really have preferred a cocktail happy hour before dinner to the in-suite setups. We're giving Regent another shot though, the Voyager from Ft. Lauderdale to Reykjavik in May, with high hopes but low expectations. Truly a shame!

Last edited by countflorida; February 20th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Old February 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacap View Post
I would appreciate any input on Silversea versus Regent.After 300 nights sailing with Regent I am ready for a change.Since Apollo acquired Regent I have seen a falloff of the product.Many long time Regent people; both passengers and crew have made the switch to Silversea.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Just curious as to why you are looking at Silversea rather than Seabourn. Seabourn has had less inconsistancy in food and service than either Silversea or Regent (according to reviews). Their new Odyssey should be an excellent ship once they fix the kinks that are common with a new ship.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Your mention of Seabourn prompted me to check that forum about smoking. Seems that Seabourn even more than Silversea is a major turn-off for people who can't stand that environment. Lots of reports about people being bothered.

Old February 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

And the Seabourn Odyssey also has a vibration problem. This is one of the reasons we canceled a cruise we had booked for this summer.

Last edited by cruiseluv; February 21st, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by poss View Post
Your mention of Seabourn prompted me to check that forum about smoking. Seems that Seabourn even more than Silversea is a major turn-off for people who can't stand that environment. Lots of reports about people being bothered.
Poss: I should have mentioned that the smoking policy is the about the same as Silversea. It is interesting that you've heard that there is more smoking problems on Silversea than Seabourn as I have heard the opposite. Since Silversea advertises heavily in Europe, and European's haven't had non-smoking policies in place that long, perhaps I was just making an assumption. I did hear that the Odyssey had a large cigarette burn on a brand new balcony after her maiden voyage. . . . such a shame.

My preference for Seabourn is more about service and food quality since both Regent and Silversea get repeated reviews on lack of consistancy. I'm not sure if we're ready to switch from Regent. . . . Seabourn just has those incredible Asian itineraries that Regent doesn't have.

In terms of the vibration, as I mentioned above, there are some fixes that will be made to the Odyssey in a scheduled drydock this year. There is also an issue of smoke (not the cigarette kind:-) that needs to be attended to, along with a few other things.

Old February 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I thankyou for your input

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input,I guess I will just have to try SS and be my own judge.I guess the the golden days of high end cruising is over.All the products sound like they have deficiencies,and compromise seems to be the norm.However that said it is still is a GREAT way to see the world.

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Seacap, if you really want high end and real six star service try Crystal or Seabourn.

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM
10,000+ Club

The preceding was an "almost" paid political announcement. What would we do without lurkers

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old February 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

TC, with all due respect, you have never stepped foot on Crystal or Seabourn. How would you know the difference?

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Miles, Crystal does get the top travel mag reviews and it's cruisers are very loyal, but excuse me, Regent leads the way for us non smokers..and I will continue to enjoy Regent (wanted to try to the Crystal transpacific crossing (esp w/Keith & Nancy's reviews) on crystal in 2012 but not with their current somewhat liberal smoking policy) Regent, as the top lux cruise line who cares for non smokers better than the competition (Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn & Crystal)

Last edited by WesW; February 21st, 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can't speak for Seabourn, but I do know on Crystal smoking is limited and we have never in fifteen cruises smelled smoke in our suite. Smokers still exist unfortunately and they will smoke somewhere as allowed.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Time will tell

We too have been disappointed with Regent in recent years, particularly the decline in service and food and the constant expansion of all-inclusive coupled with increasing costs, so after almost 250 days on RSSC, we are trying Silversea in April - Silver Shadow from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale. If that cruise goes well, we'll take the triple back-to-back Istanbul-Athens-Venice-Monaco cruise on the new Silver Spirit in September-October, 2011. It includes calls around the Black Sea, in Turkey and the Greek islands, Cyprus, 2 calls each in Israel and Egypt, more Greek islands, Venice overnight, Croatia, Malta, more Italy and ending in Monte Carlo. We think that’s a marvelous trip, allowing us to see a variety places we’ve wanted to see on one [mostly] eastern Med cruise.

The information here about the extra charges for alternate dining and wine with dinner on Silversea is disquieting, particularly as we will again have to pay for the Internet, and do or pay for our laundry. So in case the trial run on the Shadow this April doesn’t work out better, we’ve booked the new Seabourn Odyssey from Buenos Aires to Ft. Lauderdale via the Amazon next February-March, and we’ll see how that goes. One or the other, or at least a part of one, has to go, unless some economic miracle develops.

It’s really a shame, RSSC was so good, and many of the Platinum perks so nice, but we just haven’t been happy with the cutbacks, first in cabin service, and more recently in food and dining service. Plus we prefer to make our own excursion arrangements rather than join the thundering herds on the busses. We like a drink, but not enough to support the all-inclusive policy. Wine with dinner plus the set-up was plenty for us, although we would have preferred a cocktail party or happy hour before dinner to the in-suite setups. We're giving Regent another shot though, the Voyager from Ft. Lauderdale to Reykjavik in May, with high hopes but low expectations. Truly a shame!

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Colonel Wes, I would say that 80% do not smoke on Crystal. People who do smoke are considerate even in the smoking areas....which are few. They just take their habit outside or to the cigar club.

I am highly allergic to perfumes. What am I to do? My doctor has a sign in his office that states "Please do not wear perfume during the appointment." The patients are made aware of this before they show up.

So I guess all cruise lines should have a no perfume allowed area. Many people are allergic to perfume or colognes and they can get very ill. This is also true with flowers. I have them removed ASAP.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

TC, you said "What would we do without lurkers. Well, you have been on the Crystal board as well. Why not give them a test drive before you pass judgment. We tried Regent five times and were very disappointed in the lack luster service and food. Loved the suite.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite Travels View Post
Colonel Wes, I would say that 80% do not smoke on Crystal. People who do smoke are considerate even in the smoking areas....which are few. They just take their habit outside or to the cigar club.

I am highly allergic to perfumes. What am I to do? My doctor has a sign in his office that states "Please do not wear perfume during the appointment." The patients are made aware of this before they show up.

So I guess all cruise lines should have a no perfume allowed area. Many people are allergic to perfume or colognes and they can get very ill. This is also true with flowers. I have them removed ASAP.
In my experience and not just on cruises, there are some smokers who are considerate and plenty who think it within their "rights" to smoke as they wish. They may smoke within their areas but if their area is their room or balcony nothing will stop them. So I prefer to opt for a restrictive policy and commend lines such as Regent for it.

Discussions on this topic often bring out the perfume, flowers, bad breath, body odour etc. arguments but they pale into insignifance compred to the problems of tobacco smoke.

For my part, I am amused by the constant "just try another line" or "give them a test drive" argument. I am a pensioner, not very well off and my cruises, expensive as they are, need a lot of saving up for and I, for one, need my cruises to be right first time.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrpingtonT View Post
...and I, for one, need my cruises to be right first time.
Well said! When we resumed cruising in 2006 after a long hiatus, we jumped at a low cost opportunity at the last minute on a cruise line that catered to Europeans. After experiencing vast amounts of cigarette smoke, more brief Speedos than I ever though existed, much later dining than we normally experience and bingo being called in five languages, we switched to much more "due diligence" to be sure that we were in the right place. We simply can't afford to make any mistakes that could have been avoided. We now err on the side of caution.

Last edited by hondorner; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have to add my voice in being disappointed in our Regent Navigator cruise. We loved what the line used to be and after a two year absence we experienced many changes. On our cruise in January we were not once addressed by name - not even by the cabin steward. The suites are great but the food, service and personnel leave much to be desired. We felt very "tended to" by everyone on Silverseas.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Regent, seems to be going down hill from what they were.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam91403 View Post
I have to add my voice in being disappointed in our Regent Navigator cruise. We loved what the line used to be and after a two year absence we experienced many changes. On our cruise in January we were not once addressed by name - not even by the cabin steward. The suites are great but the food, service and personnel leave much to be desired. We felt very "tended to" by everyone on Silverseas.
Which Regent Navigator cruise were on? Was it the New Year's cruise by any chance? We have been on the Navigator twice and, did find the service and food a bit less than what we receive on the Voyager. Still, we are giving it another try in May.

Also, which Silverseas ship were you on? Just wanting to compare size, etc. of the two ships. It may be a bit easier to remember names on smaller ships. Many cruise lines have cut back on staff -- including Regent. Still, on our 2009 Voyager cruises, several people remembered our names. I wonder if it is/was just something going on with the Navigator?

There must be some reason why the majority of Regent passengers love their cruise and many do not. In any case, it's good that you found the right "fit" with Silversea. Did you find that smoking was an issue on your cruise. That is our main concern with SS.