Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice Offer up your advice for saving money on cruises...from booking tips to info on shore excursions.

Old February 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default where to pack rum runners?

I've read all the rum runner posts and went and ordered a 32oz bag the other day. I've read through ALL the posts and most of them turn into discussions of what rum runners are and where to get them, other ways to smuggle booze, or moral arguments about whether or not it should be done.

I'm just looking for stragegies specifically using the rum runners

My question is what are good ways to get the rum runners through without being caught? I've seen a number of people put them in shoes but the only shoes I'm bringing are heels and sandals and won't work and I really don't want to drink something out of a bag that's been in my husband's smelly man shoes! I see most people suggest checked luggage, but some say cargo pockets. (My husband likes the pocket idea but i'm nervous it won't work).

Side question, before I found out about these I'd planned to buy a few little shot bottles and hide them in my bra as I walked through. Still might do this for variety purposes. Anyone have luck with this trick or get caught?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

oh, and i forgot to mention we'll be on royal caribbean (which I see is one of the toughest ones)

Old February 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I bought some as well for our upcoming RCI cruise. In the past we always just bubble wrapped our liquor and placed in our checked bags. We even flew with it like that. The cruise lines don't usually look in the checked bags, but do look in your carry on.
I am going to put my RR in big ziploc bags and put between my clothes in my checked bags. Hopefully they make it thru.
I heard they allow 2 bottles of wine on RCI. not so sure about that one.
I did get the ones too that are for your pockets, so DH can put small amount in there and carry in his pockets on the ship.

Good luck,
4th curise 2005 Virgin Islands Princess Grand
5th cruise 2010 S. Caribbean Royal Caribbean
URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

Old February 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, I am also confused about this.
FYI, RC does not allow any alcohol to be brought aboard.

My question is what does the person scanning luggage see when the see a rum runner or say the inside bladder from a box of wine??? How does it show up on the scanner? What would you be able to put it in that it is not seen? Example, I carry my jewelry in a box, can they see through that box??? What can they and can't they see through?
Depending on this answer, why wouldn't it be just as "safe" putting it in your carry on or in your purse
Thanks for any info.

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I can answer a few of these, if not all! I have taken our rumrunners multiple times on RCCL/Celebrity. They always arrive safe. Do not pack your booze in the original bottles in bubble wrap. If you are one of the unfortunate ones to have your bag x-rayed and your bag is not locked, they have the right to remove the bottle. If your bag is locked, it will be taken to the
"naughty room" where they will make you open it and turn in the bottle. I have never had this happen but, I always pack my rumrunners!. When x-rayed, the cap has a density as it is a plastic solid. The cap will be seen as a cap and a vague outline of the "bladder". They can see through almost everything but metal. I bundle pack my bag (try using onebag.com) and put the rr's in my beauty case behind other items to produce static. I am sure my photo may get yanked again, but here's my bag! You can barely see them. Our large one is in the middle two small ones in the zippered pouch. My dh packs the other large one in his toiletries bag. The large bladders such as the boxed wine, well, they're huge and there's no doubt about what's in them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case2.jpg (20.4 KB, 4826 views)
File Type: jpg case1.jpg (20.2 KB, 4116 views)

INSIDE/OUTSIDE AND LUVIN' IT NOW!

Old February 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used rumrunners on a 31-day Princess cruise. I packed them in ziploc bags along with my over-3 oz. beauty items that had to be checked--shampoo, sunscreen, etc. I put all those other items next to, around, over, etc. the rumrunners. No problem at all. (Actually, I started out with that stuff sealed in FoodSaver vacuum bags; took the ziplocs to use after we got off the plane onto the ship & to use on the way home--when rumrunners were empty!)

Old February 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

On my last 2 cruises we've packed at least 4 32-ounces RR in between our clothes and very close to our toiletrie bags so if they are xrayed it looks like its just the cap to another beauty product. This has always been devided into three bags. Now that I'm going on a girls only cruise I think I'll have to cut back on the amount of RR I take.

9/9/11 - Carnival Paradise-Baja Mexico, 9/10/10 - Carnival Paradise-Baja Mexico, 11/09 - Carnival Splendor-Mexican Riviera, 04/09 - Carnival Elation-Baja Mexico, 03/09 - RCCL Mariner of the Sea-Mexican Riviera, 09/08 - RCCL Monarch of the Sea-Baja Mexico, 04/07 - Celebrity Century-Western Carribean, 09/05 - Celebrity Summit-Alaska, 08/05 - RCCL Monarch of the Sea-Baja Mexico, 11/04 - RCCL Monarch of the Sea-Baja Mexico

Old February 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking cheep rum runner

I have packed 1 and 2 liter soda bottles several times in my luggage. Pick a soda that closely resembles your favorite beverage and replace the soda, clear vodka in a Coke bottle may raise a flag. Putting it in a plastic bag or ziplock is a good idea.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

what about traveling with them on a plane. should i fill them to the 85% capacity, as recommended, and then fly or should i wait until we arrive? great tips.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Fill them to 85%, put them in a ziplock, pack in your checked luggage rolled in clothes and fly. I locked my luggage with zipties. Have fun.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have never had a problem flying as long as they are not over filled.

I put them in a couple of zip lock bags and put them in my make-up/bathroom bags. I have a few bathroom bags that I use and put the RR in - usually one or two RR per bag. They blend in nicely...

04/11/15 Jewel of the Seas
04/07/13 Adventure of the Seas ~ Crazy Caribbean Cruisers
03/07/10 Adventure of the Seas
06/11/09 Walt Disney World & The Keys
09/22/08 Family Vacation on the Monarch
04/21/08 10th Anniversary in Sunny Hawaii
02/03/07 Superbowl Cruise ~ Grandeur of the Seas
04/15/06 Sisters Cruise ~Serenade of the Seas ~ Southern Caribbean

Old March 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was very nervous about using them the first time for fear that they would leak and I would end up having my clothes smell of the alcohol. I did read on the boards to wrap in a diaper and then in a ziplock and this is what we did. As for placement in the luggage, we have put them in a variety of places including just wrapped it in a shirt without any particular care for placement other than not on top or bottom (for fear of breakage not hidden)

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone put them in your pockets and walked on with them? how big are the 32 oz when filled?

Old March 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperj View Post
Has anyone put them in your pockets and walked on with them? how big are the 32 oz when filled?
We do that with the 375ml bottles with plastic caps so they won't be detected.

Old March 16th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperj View Post
Yes but with the 8 oz size and bulky clothing. I would think it would be a bit hard to sneak a 32 oz filled RR in your clothes. I have heard of some putting the smaller ones in their carryon bags but they have more time to look at the scan picture and may see them.

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015; Golden 2012, 2015; Crown 2013; Caribbean 2013, 2014; Royal 2014; Star 2014
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012
May 2014 Diving trip to Cozumel
castigat ridendo mores

Old March 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh I know that the 32oz are going to be to big to carry on. I was just wanting to know the size of them when they are filled up. Are the bigger then a 2 liter bottle or what? I am thinking about getting the 14oz ones so I can take them off the ship at the different ports and fill them back up with the alcohol we buy on the islands.

Does anyone know if you can bring on box wine instead of the bottle of wine per person when you board the ship?

Old March 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had your same concerns so I bought a some 8's, 16's and 32's.

As a test, I filled up two 8's and hid them in the front of the waistband of my pants and went to go talk to my wife for a while to see if she would notice them. I figured she knows how I normally look and would quickly notice anything unusual. She didn't notice at all. I didn't need to refill in port as all my RR's made it through.

You could just bring the larger sizes into port and just not fill them up all the way. You could easily hide a 32 in the waistband if it wasn't full. Security doesn't seem to pay that much attention. You can read about how I smuggled in port here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...824&highlight=

Some may not agree with my techniques but I couldn't care less what they think.
RCCL Viking Serenade 1998??
NCL Southward 1993

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

We traveled with 5 couples. Each couple bought the Spring Break CRUISE RUM RUNNER KITS. We had cocktail parties in different cabins each night. I even brought my Magic Bullet blender and we made frozen drinks. We got to our cruise port a day early bought the booze there at a store and then filled up the rum runners in our room. Distributed them throughout all the suitcases... My girlfriend had one suitcase opened up but they didn't take anything out. She wasn't sure what they were looking for.

Took cases of water, soda and litte cans of pineapple juice. Checked everything in at the curb. My attached review shows how we did it all.

Never had them confiscated. Once in our cabins we put the rum runners in an ice chest. Had the small rolling kind or the blow up kind. Kept everything on ice the whole time during the cruise. A great time was had by all..

Can't wait for our next cruise...

Have fun!!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1437974
Review from the Golden Princess... with pictures..
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1435396

NEED A PACKING LIST???
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205

Upcoming:

Stay Tuned!!

SAILED
Princess - Golden Princess 6/11/11
RCCL - Liberty of the Seas 4/18/09
Princess - Caribbean Princess 04/7/2007
Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas 5/1/2005
Celebrity - Century 8/14/2004
Carnival- Celebration 1/3/2004

Last edited by Janet Foster; March 17th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I put 2 32oz per bag. @ were in my toiletries bag. the other 2 were on the bottom and I put 3 bottles of sunscreen on top of them so the liquid and bottle outline would be blended. worked great. Also if you want beer get a 24 pack of coke and cut the side open without cutting the box. take 22 cokes out and fill with your beer. coors wont work cause the can is different. but leave the 2 cokes by the handle so if they look it looks like 2 cokes. I just got off the boat 2 weekends ago. Not one item was taken up.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just off of Majesty of the Seas, out of the Port of Miami (supposedly the hardest port to get liquor through). We had two rum runners in each of our bags (we had the 8 oz and 12 oz sizes). All made it through! Several were in the foothole on my scuba fins and several were in with toiletry bags and one was just stuck in at the bottom of the bag. Good luck!