Will Carnival allow liquor to be brought on to the ship?

kimdavid

Their policy is you can bring fine wine or champagne on board when you board - a reasonable amount. If you buy liquor in port, you have to turn it over to them to hold until the last day of the cruise and they deliver it back to your room.

I know people do take liquor on board and I don't think they are stopped. We did take 3 bottles of champagne on our January 2004 cruise with no problem.

What I did on my last cruise was....I bought a cheap no name brand mouthwash that looked like listorene,dumped it out and cleaned it real good.Then filled it with rum.Had it right in the suitcase.Then bought some coke out of the machine down the hall from our room.It was nice,mix up a drink and sit on the balcony! I know other people who poured vodka in a water bottle and walked right on the ship with it in their hand!!.That's ballsy.....LOL:)

I remember seeing a picture that 'Host' Chris claimed was a case of beer wrapped up like a present, which he claimed he carried onboard with his carry-on stuff.. Was just going to say it was a 'gift' for the Captain of the ship if questioned.. :D

If you can get it in your suitcase, do it.. I just never seem to have enough room, or I'm just too lazy to take an extra suitcase.. :rolleyes:

Just returned from the Carnival Destiny where there was a liquor store inside the actual terminal where they told us we could bring anything on board as long as it was inside our carry one. So we did and had no problems.

If you are flying, I wouldn't go the "gift method", since you may likely have to unwrap it to get on the plane... easiest way is just to pack it in your checked luggage... I have heard the extremes people go through, too much for me and I don't want my drinks to have the lingering shampoo/mouthwash aftertaste :D I have not had a problem with bringing it in my checked luggage...

What I did on my last cruise was....I bought a cheap no name brand mouthwash that looked like listorene,dumped it out and cleaned it real good.Then filled it with rum.Had it right in the suitcase.Then bought some coke out of the machine down the hall from our room.It was nice,mix up a drink and sit on the balcony! I know other people who poured vodka in a water bottle and walked right on the ship with it in their hand!!.That's ballsy.....LOL:)

I've done water bottles already 4 times works like a charm. Also when comming back after a port just have anything in a plastic bag they usually don't check anyway.

Here's One for the Books.........

Recently when flying, we packed 2 flasks in our 'Checked Luggage', when we arrived at our destination, our luggage was marked with a tag as having been opend for inspection and both our Flasks had been emptied ! :confused:

Now that really is an act of terrorism...

Yes ,just carry it on like you own the place. Don't be stupid and get in anyone's face and they will let you take anything on. Like another poster said, in San Juan there is a liquor store where you board. We went to our room unloaded our carry on, went back off the ship and filled the carry on with enough booze to throw a party for the entire ship,no problem at all. If it legal you can carry it on. It's all about passing the attitude test...:)

Also - if you plan to sneak on beer (which I have done in the past and saved major $$$) make sure you get a beer they sell on the ship or you will be easily spotted as sneaking on your own stuff. They do sell Miller products - Lite and MGD - so they are a safe bet and it is the best beer in my opinion. Stop on they way and load up!

Are the prices at the liquor store in San Juan comparable to U.S. prices, or would it be cheaper to pack our booze We drink scotch and wine.

Christine

When we sailed on the Constellation last April, there was no comparison on liquor prices. The duty free shop in San Juan is far cheaper. We picked up a couple bottles of Captain Morgan Reserve for $7.50. Most bottles of name brand rum and vodka were at or around $10. Not a scotch drinker but I would assume the trend would be the same.

We brought our own wines with us (being from California) but I do not remember a large selection. If you have a favorite wine or two, you should bring them along.

Just remember, buy everything you want before you leave. Since the shop is duty free, you can not make a purchase when you return to San Juan.

Don

Miller Lite can 12oz? Bottles 16oz? I want to pack Seagrams Ice.. any suggestions?

They had the 12oz cans and the great 16oz? brown plastic bottles - those bottles are insulated and in the Carribean sun they kept my beer icy cold for a long time - but they do take up more space. I just bought the cans.

Good luck and have a Miller Light for me!!

Mike

I read on another thread that a family had gone to a thrift shop and bought an old hard sided suit case and filled it with water and juices(for the kids) and other alcoholic beverages.....when the cruise was over they just left the old suit case and left a note on it that said "trash".....That sounded pretty clever to me!

Terri

Will Carnival allow liquor to be brought on to the ship?
Just got off the Glory, you can read my sogga above. We did bring a bottle of champagne and 2 bottles of rum in our suitcase. They sat out openly in our room, our room steward did not blink an eye at them. Also we made purchases in St Thomas, carried them aboard in our back packs, otherwise you have to hand them in and they are held until the end of the trip, our packs were scanned and no one said anything to us, we had our own cocktails in our room, purchasing soda with the fountain card, a wise choice to get one esp if you drink a few sodas a day, the fountain card that is. If you want to bring a bottle to dinner there is a $10 corking fee. We drank our champagne on New Years eve, there seemed to be very little if any rules. My mate also brought a flask to the pool, ordered soda and discreetly topped it. We are not cheap, we did buy drinks at the clubs and at times at the pools, just wait until you get your bill at the end of the voyage, the little we saved did not seem to make much of a dent in the bill.

Just returned from the Victory and we took an extra suitcase with us and put into it a case of beer and a few bottles of water and and a couple of small bottles of vodka and rum. We wrapped everything up so it was well insulated and sent it as check luggage on the plane and onto the ship. No problems at all. We also went to a supermarket in Miami just before sailing and picked up 12 cans of pepsi and 12 cans of 7 up and 12 small bottles of water(there was 4 of travelling together) and we carried this onto the ship with no problem at all.

Archived