Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is the pay structure of the employees on the Disney cruise?

We have just returned from a Royal Carribean cruise and a few of the staff advised that the majority of their compensation came from tips. Does anyone know if this is the same situation on a Disney cruise?

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our server in the last cruise explained to us that their income is based on the tips just like any other cruise. Being under Bahamas contract, they keep every cent which means that they don't pay any tax at all. Our server also stated that there will be times when they do not receive any tip at all. Many guests do not show up for breakfast and suddenly disappear without leaving them any tip.

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have to believe it is similar to my experience working as a server in a major chain restaurant a few years back.

You get a very small base pay (2.50/hr) and your income is based mostly on a tip. Granted they do also get other perks, probably, free food, board, and great tax laws

Old March 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think a great thing is the pre-paid gratuities...on the Disney cruise we took last month we did this. I guess however you still must put the little stub in the envelope and give that to your server or room attendant...they in turn must have to give this to "someone" to get their pay.

We felt the service was worth way more than what we had for the pre-paid tips and added more $'s in each envelope. They all work so hard and truly gave the best service of any line I've sailed on (including Regent).

Oceania Marina May 2015
Disney Fantasy November 2014
Emerald Princess February 2014

Disney Magic January 2013
Disney Fantasy December 2012
Golden Princess Alaska August 2012
Disney Fascination May 2012
Caribbean Princess Southern Carib. Dec 2011
Carnival Fascinatnion July 2011
Sapphire Princess Alaska June 2011
Nieuw Amsterdam Dec. 5, 2010
Radiance of the Seas Nov. 2010
Coral Princess Alaska May 2010
Seven Seas Navigator April 2010
Disney Magic February 2010
Seven Seas Mariner Caribbean April 2008
Seven Seas Navigator Caribbean Dec. 2007
Seven Seas Voyager Crossing Nov. 2007
Regent Seven Seas Mariner Alaska June 2006
Carnival Imagination Southern Caribbean Dec. 2002
Carnival Fascination West. Caribbean Dec. 2002

Old March 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

It depends on the area they are assigned/contracted for.From what I understand, its alot like the parks and college program.

Tip oriented areas such as wait staff, and room stewards, generally get a fairly low base pay, and the balance is made up in tips.As posted above.
Areas such as guest relations,or entertainment get a higher base pay since they do not have a tip oportunity.Other areas that you dont ever see such as laundry personel or cooks would be in the same group.

I think, though I cant swear to it off hand, that Disney may take a certain amount back, for room and board.Much like the college program.They also pay for things like alcohol onboard, and things from a crew only store.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think some of the recommended tips are ridiculously high. For instance, the stateroom attendant gets $28 per person, so for my family of four that is $112, or $16/day to make a bed and put clean towels and an origami towel animal on the bed. In the best hotels, I tip housekeeping $5/day and they are putting clean sheets on the bed as well. How many rooms does each attendant service? Same with the wait staff...they told me they generally service about 16 people per seating, so 32 total, times $28=$896 a week. Some may tip less, but some also tip more. If that is tax free and they get free room and board, that's a pretty decent salary for a job that doesn't require a college degree.

Old March 14th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mong1114 View Post
I think some of the recommended tips are ridiculously high. For instance, the stateroom attendant gets $28 per person, so for my family of four that is $112, or $16/day to make a bed and put clean towels and an origami towel animal on the bed. In the best hotels, I tip housekeeping $5/day and they are putting clean sheets on the bed as well. How many rooms does each attendant service? Same with the wait staff...they told me they generally service about 16 people per seating, so 32 total, times $28=$896 a week. Some may tip less, but some also tip more. If that is tax free and they get free room and board, that's a pretty decent salary for a job that doesn't require a college degree.
They work harder than a hotel houskeeper. At a hotel, they'll do your room once per day. On a ship, it's usually twice plus the towel animals, turndown and the frequent guest requests. Knowing people that have worked in both jobs, I know that ship guests use their room a lot more than hotel guests and thus create more work for the staff.

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Mick View Post
They work harder than a hotel houskeeper. At a hotel, they'll do your room once per day. On a ship, it's usually twice plus the towel animals, turndown and the frequent guest requests. Knowing people that have worked in both jobs, I know that ship guests use their room a lot more than hotel guests and thus create more work for the staff.
I guess we were the exception then. We spent very little time in our room; we were only there to sleep and get ready for dinner. They came in once to clean up (I don't think they change the sheets daily like they do in a hotel) in the afternoon and a second time to turn down the bed and put the animal in the room. We also cleaned up after ourselves everyday. Maybe we are not the typical guests.

Old March 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
only if every cabins tips the suggested gratuity. Im sure there are many who stiff them.

fyi, the stewards (and all employees) pay for their own transport to/from employment on the ship and have families back 'home' to support including medical, food & housing, etc. They do far more than make the beds in the cabins, your bathroom is cleaned everyday. fyi, many of the stewards employ assistants (those who work in other capacities about the ship & are moonlighting) to help them get all the work they are expected to complete done.

These Ships Have Sailed
DCL - Dream 1/14 & 7/11, Wonder 10/08 & 12/05
CCL - Sunshine 5/14, Victory 5/12, Destiny, it's a wrap, aft! 6/10, Legend 12/07
RCCL - IOS 1/13
NCL - Star 6/09
, watch out where the huskies go...

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Mong,

One more thing, the way I understand it these people work cruises back to back with little time off. Is that correct? Sorry your cruise on the Magic was not better. We have only been on 1 cruise on the Magic, last year, and it was incredible.

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Furthermore, the wait staff not only serve guests at dinner, they work the other venues for lunch and breakfast as well - such as the BBQ on Castaway Cay, and the "fast food" places. Your tips pay them for that as well.

Old March 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink crew wages

Husband used to work for RCI as a waiter. Yes they make about $50 per month w/o tips. They aslo have to pay for thier laundry room cleaning fee, internet, etc. Some people tip the suggested amt some do not and some do not tip at all. There is no off days off. The wait staff may get a breakfast or lunch off but never a day. They work 6 mo contract and pay for thier ticket. The wait staff tips are not pooled but the CS not so sure as on the Magic we had 2 people.
Lexi

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
A housekeeper in a hotel also makes at least minimum wage. Stateroom
Attendants do not.

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattypatty03 View Post
A housekeeper in a hotel also makes at least minimum wage. Stateroom
Attendants do not.
So you had to bring up a thread from 3 years ago to make this comment?

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo here View Post
So you had to bring up a thread from 3 years ago to make this comment?

I'm betting MattyPatty was doing a search for something, this thread came up, and he/she didn't realize it was a REALLY OLD thread upon replying.

Celebrity S-Class cabin spreadsheet

Videos
Liberty of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Feb 2013
Freedom of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Sept 2008
Does the cruise ship wait for you? Passengers missing ship - Feb 2009

Upcoming
Norwegian Getaway, October 25, 2014 roll call
HAL Ryndam, February 8, 2015 roll call
Celebrity Equinox, July 4, 2015 roll call
RCCL Majesty of the Seas, August 21, 2015

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is??? No one is being made to work these cruise ships. I'm sure the work is hard and the hours are long, but the employees choose to do it. Many of them are young and do it for the excitement before moving on to other careers and others are making much more money then they could ever make in their home country. It's nice to be concerned for their well being but please stop with the guilt trips.

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieO View Post
I think a great thing is the pre-paid gratuities...on the Disney cruise we took last month we did this. I guess however you still must put the little stub in the envelope and give that to your server or room attendant...they in turn must have to give this to "someone" to get their pay.
What I was told was thet they get their money/tips even without the ticket stub. There are records of what was charged to the room for their tip.

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoluv2cruz View Post
Not sure what the purpose of this thread is??? No one is being made to work these cruise ships. I'm sure the work is hard and the hours are long, but the employees choose to do it. Many of them are young and do it for the excitement before moving on to other careers and others are making much more money then they could ever make in their home country. It's nice to be concerned for their well being but please stop with the guilt trips.
I get what you are saying. I used to feel badly for the staff. But when you come across some that have been with DCL for many cruises, I figured if it was that bad they wouldn't renew their contract. They do work very hard though.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:14 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieO View Post

We felt the service was worth way more than what we had for the pre-paid tips and added more $'s in each envelope. They all work so hard and truly gave the best service of any line I've sailed on (including Regent).
If you are sailing concierge they take care of it all for you. You only need to fill out the amounts on the sheet and sign the bottom.

We didn't tip extra on our three day as we only ate in the MDR once for dinner and twice for lunch, never for breakfast. We did tip the servers in Palo and Remy as well as the sommelier in both and room service.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Last edited by ducklite; January 28th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
]There is alot of work behind the scenes they do as well, not to mention bring and taking away your lugage.

Honestly these CM's, all of them work hard, long hours, to give us tha excellent cruise and deserve every penny they get.

If you can effort a cruise,you should not be complaining!

JMHO

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; January 28th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.