Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

What would it cost to take a taxi from Country Inns to the port? Are they readily available?

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
What would it cost to take a taxi from Country Inns to the port? Are they readily available?
45-50 and no they are not there..the hotel can call one, or a car service...(usually around the same price...not including tip.)

try www.blackexecutivecars.com

it is not far, but that's the going rate...

you can also call Independent Driver...no website...low frills...several CCers have used.... 888-816-0973, ext 0
they only take reservations about 4-6 weeks ahead...

or you can try signature transportation

973-622-5800

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:26 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
If you are one or two people, you may be able to buy port transfers from the hotel for $35 /pp rt. Country Inns is one of the only hotels at the airport that offers a cruise package and others have mentioned buying the transfers separately.

Carol

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM
10,000+ Club

I just fluffed up my blog with Cape Liberty info...still will be updating but there are some links to hotel photos.....

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Parking question

This board is massive so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has been answered. I'm leaving on Explorer and I'm planning to pack a travel steamer, NOT an iron. If It is refused, will I be able to walk back to my car to leave it there. Also is it more likely that something will "slip through" in carry on or checked luggage? Thanks for any help.

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
10,000+ Club

Cdtheque - I'd post this question on the main RCL board to get a broader sampling of opinions. If you put the steamer in your checked luggage, then if they find it and don't allow it, I think it will end up in the "naughty room" for the cruise and you can pick it up at the end. If it's in your carryon, you will end up having to give up your place in the security line to run back to the car.

Carol

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the reresponse 138. I planned on being at the terminal by 10 since everyone says that 1030 is the best time. I figured the security line wouldnt be that long and the car would be close to the terminal. I'll go to the RCL board to see if anyone recently had any experience with this situation. I love this board, it has been an amazing resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
Cdtheque - I'd post this question on the main RCL board to get a broader sampling of opinions. If you put the steamer in your checked luggage, then if they find it and don't allow it, I think it will end up in the "naughty room" for the cruise and you can pick it up at the end. If it's in your carryon, you will end up having to give up your place in the security line to run back to the car.

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. If I run into problems with the shuttle how much would a cab be to Cape Liberty?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusBigBand View Post
Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. If I run into problems with the shuttle how much would a cab be to Cape Liberty?

you don't want a cab....you want to arrange a car service...in the 60-70 range give or take..

cabs do NOT have to take you into NJ from NY..as it is illegal to pick up reverse fares..

try

www.dial7.com

www.carmellimo.com

they should be able to dispatch a car very quickly......

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Folks recommend Village Car Service on Staten Island.

Carol

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by megr1125 View Post
you don't want a cab....you want to arrange a car service...in the 60-70 range give or take..

cabs do NOT have to take you into NJ from NY..as it is illegal to pick up reverse fares..

try

www.dial7.com

www.carmellimo.com

they should be able to dispatch a car very quickly......
$70 to go 10 miles? I was going to going to use hotel points to stay for free as opposed to driving to the port on the morning of departure and spending $190 to park there. I'm just scared that the hotel shuttle will fall through. Are you saying that taxis generally don't cross state lines?

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
$70 to go 10 miles? I was going to going to use hotel points to stay for free as opposed to driving to the port on the morning of departure and spending $190 to park there. I'm just scared that the hotel shuttle will fall through. Are you saying that taxis generally don't cross state lines?

Yes, NY City taxis are not required to make out of state trips, except to Newark Airport.

Frankly, since you're staying on Staten Island, you're unlikely to find a medallion taxi anyway...you'll have to take a car service. There aren't a lot of competing companies on Staten Island, so prices tend to be high (prices for most things in the NY City area are high anyway).

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Do you have a reservation yet on the shuttle? Last I knew they share a shuttle with Hilton Garden Inn and I used that shuttle back in February, 2011 and it was very smooth. They seem to have different vehicles at their disposal as we went over in a typical airport shuttle van, but returned to the hotel in a school bus. As long as you have a reservation you should be fine.

Greg

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgreg View Post
Do you have a reservation yet on the shuttle? Last I knew they share a shuttle with Hilton Garden Inn and I used that shuttle back in February, 2011 and it was very smooth. They seem to have different vehicles at their disposal as we went over in a typical airport shuttle van, but returned to the hotel in a school bus. As long as you have a reservation you should be fine.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I'm pretty a pretty paranoid person so I just wanted a back up plan but if you had success with them then I will give it a shot. Sounds like I would be risking $140 in limo service fees if the hotel dropped the ball both ways. Still better than $190 to park at the port.

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just to be clear, if you drive to the port, you drop off your bags first and then park? How do you know where to drop the bags? Do you pull right up to the drop-off? Do you have to carry your bags to your car after the cruise?

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Just to be clear, if you drive to the port, you drop off your bags first and then park? Yes
How do you know where to drop the bags? They tell you where to pull in
Do you pull right up to the drop-off? Yes and the porters are right there
Do you have to carry your bags to your car after the cruise?
Yes but if you go into the first lot, go to the middle and take a left, go to the break in the fence and cross the inbound road to the other side, there is parking closer to the terminal. Tip the porters and they will take your stuff to your car. Otherwise you can get your car and swing around and do a pickup at one of the spots along the drop off.

Carol

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
Yes but if you go into the first lot, go to the middle and take a left, go to the break in the fence and cross the inbound road to the other side, there is parking closer to the terminal. Tip the porters and they will take your stuff to your car. Otherwise you can get your car and swing around and do a pickup at one of the spots along the drop off.
Thanks for the help. One more question, do you tip the porters and if so, how much?

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Going in $1-2 per bag. More coming out if they wheel your stuff all the way to your car.

Carol

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Greg. I'm pretty a pretty paranoid person so I just wanted a back up plan but if you had success with them then I will give it a shot. Sounds like I would be risking $140 in limo service fees if the hotel dropped the ball both ways. Still better than $190 to park at the port.

Do you have a reservation already? You need to setup 2 separate reservations to/from the port. Confirm the reservation when you checkin and you should be all set. If you want you can email me (address in signature) and I can give you the email address of the person I conversed with to setup/confirm my shuttle reservations (from the Hilton Garden Inn) as an email confirmation to file away/print out makes me feel alot better than a phone call.

Greg

Old May 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgreg View Post
Do you have a reservation already? You need to setup 2 separate reservations to/from the port. Confirm the reservation when you checkin and you should be all set. If you want you can email me (address in signature) and I can give you the email address of the person I conversed with to setup/confirm my shuttle reservations (from the Hilton Garden Inn) as an email confirmation to file away/print out makes me feel alot better than a phone call.

Greg
Greg, I tried to make a reservation but the receptionist said they only book 6 Weeks in advance so I have to check back in mid July. I will email you tomorrow for the contact info. Great idea. Thanks.

Closed Thread