Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Costa Maya

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Blue Bay Beach Club

Booked an All Inclusive Beach day on Costa Maya last week thru Island marketing. I ended up with a place called Blue Bay Beach Club. Anyone been there or have some info about this beach area.

Old March 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmayes51 View Post
Booked an All Inclusive Beach day on Costa Maya last week thru Island marketing. I ended up with a place called Blue Bay Beach Club. Anyone been there or have some info about this beach area.
There's a couple of these in Mexico. One in Playa Del Carmen, I think, which is just under 200 miles from Costa Maya. They could be building one in Costa Maya/Nueva Mahahual. Lots of construction going on. I thought they were more for longer stays.

I'd double check with Island Marketing.
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I just booked today too! I did a chat with an agent on the website. She said that this was the newest and in her opinion nicest. She said they only book 25 people at this one. I would be interested to hear some feedback as well. When are you going?

Hugs,
Chelle

Old March 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

4 weeks from today-I'll post a review when I get back
Charlie

Old March 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
4 weeks from today-I'll post a review when I get back
Charlie
And pictures and location too, please. There's a lot of construction going on the Las Casitas/Nueva Mahahual which is next to the port/pier. But would hope this is either north of Costa Maya (I didn't see a lot of activity up that way in January though) or south of old Mahahual's malecon. Thanks. Always interested in new spots and changes.
Carnival Dream, May 2010

Last edited by crewsweeper; March 12th, 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

i am looking on the island marketing website, which beach package did you choose?
Celebrity Horizon October 2003 - Bermuda
Vision of the Seas - Northbound Alaska August 2004
NCL Sun - Thanksgiving 2005
NCL Crown - October 2007 - Bermuda
NCL Gem - New Year's 2009
NCL Dawn Thanksgiving Cruise Adrift at Sea
Spirit New Orleans - Free Cruise Dawn Adrift Credit - thank you NCL
NCL Epic - Thanksgiving 2011 - No Dead Engines This Time
NCL Pearl - 2 day Bahama Cruise - We are now Platinum

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I picked the Mahahual All Inclusive Beach Break #2, but I had read in another thread that someone had picked that same one and got Nohoch Kay Beach Club, which is what I was hoping to get, so it may be that on my day 4/13, that was what was open. I'll post pictures once I return

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were there last week - don't let the first impression fool you! It is a great beach, at the beginning of the "beach" area -and nice and quiet! The food was very basic Mexican, very good - drinks (all you can drink) plentiful and they did not spare the alcohol! It is about 2 blocks from the more "active" area - where there are many more clubs and restaurants and vendors- we preferred the quiet of this place! You will love it!

NCL Gem 10/19/08
NCL Jewel 3/7/10
NCL Star 2/12/11

Old March 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Were there snacks? Don't wanna drink too much on am empty belly...LOL

Hugs,
Chelle

Old March 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Snacks? hmmm - I would guess if you asked for some chips & salsa they would bring them - we had some with lunch - didn't really want anything else.

NCL Gem 10/19/08
NCL Jewel 3/7/10
NCL Star 2/12/11

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

As you can see Blue Bay is a very simple setup, basically a bar with a few seats and tables. You get unlimited drinks, and nachos or quesadillas for snacks (just request them). The taxi charged us $4 to take us there from the port, about a 15 minute ride.

This is the view to your right, on the beach, you can see about two city blocks away another place which was much more crowded and noisy.Don't mind the sea grass on the water,they are not allowed to remove them unless they are "dead" but there are bald spots throughout the beach if you want to avoid them, otherwise just swim out.

You should not have any problem getting a Palapa here for shade, there are two beach chairs per palapa but you can move them around if you have a group and no one is using them, thou its better to spread out so that everyone gets some shade. They also have one or two ladies for beach massages for about $30 for 1/2 hour.
This place seems kind of simple but if you are looking for a quite spot that offers drinks this is it. I would advise you to bring some snacks since there is no restaurant here (just a simple kitchen that provides snacks). The owner actually lives here and is available for any questions and speaks English and Spanish. The Beach is kept clean and on the day I was there there were approximately 20 people, while further down the beach I would guess there were 50+ people. You can walk towards the crowds when you are done "roasting" and you will run into other bars, restaurants, and the usual shops and tourist traps within minutes of walking. You will need to walk in this direction anyway in order to get a return cab since they tend to congregate in the more crowded areas. On your return trip the taxis drop you off at a market area where you will walk to the gate and show your ID and ship card(about 2-3 city blocks from the cruise port gates).Just don't lose track of the time. ENJOY!
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Destiny

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Was this the Beach Break that is $40 pp including lunch?

Old March 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes this is the ISLAND MARKETING LTD -Costa Maya Cruise ExcursionMAHAHUAL ALL INCLUSIVE BEACH BREAK (AT BLUE BAY BEACK CLUB)
There is nothing special about this place and I think that for the money better meal choices would be in order. It is a small simple place but it is more about being away from the crowds, so it was worth it for me (Beach, drinks,sun,shade,massage and a little music, what else is needed?). Just pick up some snacks at the pier before heading here.
If you want excitement, party, loud music and socializing, this is not the place for you.
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Destiny

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllegends View Post
Yes this is the ISLAND MARKETING LTD -Costa Maya Cruise ExcursionMAHAHUAL ALL INCLUSIVE BEACH BREAK (AT BLUE BAY BEACK CLUB)
There is nothing special about this place and I think that for the money better meal choices would be in order. It is a small simple place but it is more about being away from the crowds, so it was worth it for me (Beach, drinks,sun,shade,massage and a little music, what else is needed?). Just pick up some snacks at the pier before heading here.
If you want excitement, party, loud music and socializing, this is not the place for you.
By your pictures this looks closer to the lighthouse and naval station, maybe the old Tequila Beach Club, is this right?
Carnival Dream, May 2010

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Strange - My Island Marketing confirmation says there is a 3 course lunch provided here, from your review it looks like Liquor only. I need to send an email to them to get clarification Charlie

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

CREWSWEEPER, you are probably correct, this is my first time in Coz so I cannot confirm, but the location is correct. This is the first place you encounter after the lighthouse and naval base ( a few minutes walk).

cjmayes51, you are not offered a 3 course meal, you are offered a choice of one of three meals. From the sales blurb:
"Our Costa Maya All Inclusive offers 3 great lunch options providing you with a choice of either Ceviche ( Shrimp, Fish, Conch or Mixed) , Tacos, (Shrimp, Fish, Beef, Chicken) or Nachos (Regular, Chicken or Beef). All lunches include guacamole, Salsa and chips! We offer a FREE LUNCH for Children 6 and Under which includes your choice of Grilled Cheese or Hamburger with Fries."
At this place, it is not about the food, its about the more relaxed, less crowded, simple atmosphere. Myself and wife received (free) 3 moderate sized chicken quesadillas each (which weren't even mentioned in the options) , soda and drinks, enough until we returned to the ship. If you want better meal selection, you are better off walking along the Malecon and stopping where you like, most places usually just require you buy a few drinks or meals if you want to "park" yourself there.
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Destiny

Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Strange - My Island Marketing confirmation says there is a 3 course lunch provided here, from your review it looks like Liquor only. I need to send an email to them to get clarification Charlie
Charlie,
I am with you! My rep said that this is supposed to be the newest and in her opinion "the nicest" club. I am not really seeing that in the pics. Are the chairs those cheap white ones? I am going to contact them when I get home because I am a little worried.

Hugs,
Chelle

Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Same white chairs you find at Pez Cuadro,Nohoch Kay and just about most of the places along the Malecon. These are beach clubs in the sense that they are privately owned, the true beach clubs are usually attached to a resort or diving.

If that is what you are looking for maybe try Maya Chan Beach (http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/). Private and good food. This is a preferred choice for many Cruise Critics but it books up quick due to limited reservations, see if you can get in.
Or Maya Palms (Diving) Resort (http://www.mayapalms.com/beachgetaway.htm). Keep in mind the time and distances that have to be travelled as well as taxi fare (don't want to miss the ship!!). See if your ship offers any excursions. Use the "Critics" here to find out where the ships actually go (usually not disclosed by the ship for some reason).

Most cruisers just go to the little "clubs" along "El Malecon" in Mahahual due to their close proximity and basic needs (beach, drinks, partying).
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Destiny

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mahahual AI .. Nohoch Kay / Blue Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllegends View Post

Well.. it seems that Island Marketing is shifting people based on availability on the day in question. The Mahahual AI for $40 that we got for next week is at Nohoch Kay.. and that is the one we wanted.. Now they also have the Blue Bay for the same price.. so it seems they use one when the other fills up. Nohoch Kay is down the end of the Malecon away from 'most' of the crowds... Either way.. both would probably be fine.. I have used Island Marketing for Nachi Cocom in Cozumel (and will be again next week as well) and so far I have no complaints about them...

Previous Cruises:

August 1991: Premier Cruise Lines: S/S Atlantic - 7 Day Bahamas / Disney