Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default SEKMET - Questions

Due to the fact that you have been to Egypt numerous times, I am wondering about a few things actually only one at present.
VISA charges - restaurants in hotels.......cash or VISA? Or does it depend on the hotel itself?
Thankyou for two sites to check out. Will do that later on.
Rosemary

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertoolate View Post
Due to the fact that you have been to Egypt numerous times, I am wondering about a few things actually only one at present.
VISA charges - restaurants in hotels.......cash or VISA? Or does it depend on the hotel itself?
Thankyou for two sites to check out. Will do that later on.
Rosemary
Rosemary,

We usually pay hotels, cruise boat bills, larger restaurants by credit card. Whilst I can't be sure what card charges were, I can remember that we've never been shocked when the card bill came through, so I guess any charges must have been reasonable.

We find Egypt generally to be not too expensive, provided you're not hooked on imported liquor or fine French wine. We once had a meal for two in a local restaurant in Aswan (soup, chicken & vegetables, bread and coffee - no alcohol of course) for 45 Egyptian Pounds, say £6 or $10!

Hope this helps,

Richard

Old March 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the information. Coffee is my only vice and my 17 yr old will have to stick with soda or water. MY friends always tell me that I am not a true English person because I don't drink tea.
There is one item of food I would like to try and that is: Shawarma with chicken - sounds pretty good and is a good choice for a walk around food.
Have you ever had this?