alcohol smuggling

Sonchyne4U

I know this has been discussed several times (don't have time to search), and I know it is a sticky subject for many people, but I'm going to ask anyway. I need some suggestions on how to smuggle alcohol onboard Majesty. Also, what are the odds of it getting confiscated. Come on...be honest....I know a lot of you have done this.

Yes, there was actually a thread recently weighing the choice of banning alcohol smuggling posts. I think the responses overwhelmingly favored letting the posts remain, but there are varying opinions, some pretty strongly held.

Myself, I believe in the "hotel room" analogy, meaning I don't smuggle a drink into a restaurant or bar, but what I drink in my cabin is my own business, and as long as I keep it there, the cruise line should stay out of my business.

Rules say otherwise, however, and they do try pretty hard to stop the smuggling. In general, I think your best chance of success is if you use alternative containers, avoid glass bottles, use small plastic containers that you can stuff in your pockets or in some socks inside your bags, I think you will be OK. Spread it around in your different bags so if some is caught others will likely make it through. Also, don't smuggle any alcohol in a bag that has cans of soda or anything that has a shape that looks like it could be a liquor bottle.

Also, you really only need to take with you on embarkation a small amount because it is pretty easy to get some more in the ports. Just get a pint or smaller bottle (preferably plastic) and leave it in your pants pocket when you reboard. If you get larger bottles in port, re-board right at the deadline when the liquor collecting table will likely be empty.

I like my foo-foo drinks at the pool and in the lounges, but I also like a drink while getting ready for dinner, or before bed. We've always taken some with us on other cruise lines and never had a problem, but it seems like NCL enforces it a little more. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just arrived home from traveling on the Majesty. I tried to bring a box of wine on board that was detected, my 65 year old mother in-law got caught with a bottle of bourbon and my sister in-law was caughj with a bottle of vodka. I did hear of other people getting away with bringing aboard a case of beer. If they find it, they keep it until the end of the cruise. What is there to loose but to have to carry it back home?

WDV, was the wine detected in a checked bag or a carryon? Were they all in the original containers?

Shinemann, I know what you mean. I had a box of margarita mix that comes in a sturdy plastic double-bag. I washed it out and have saved it and the box for re-filling. I agree, properly disguised it would not be detectable. I know of a guy who strapped one on his person like a catheter bag :D

I just arrived home from traveling on the Majesty. I tried to bring a box of wine on board that was detected, my 65 year old mother in-law got caught with a bottle of bourbon and my sister in-law was caughj with a bottle of vodka. I did hear of other people getting away with bringing aboard a case of beer. If they find it, they keep it until the end of the cruise. What is there to loose but to have to carry it back home?

May I ask, you mentioned that you tried to bring a box of wind on board. What type/size of box and in your checked bags or your carry on?

you know...before you spend money on hauling your own liquor on board (as i've done in the past), you might want to try and see if it's worth it.

last cruise i was able to buy a bottle of skyy onboard for much less than in the store and with the corkage fee the cost turned out to be almost even.

so in this one case, i actually came out $1 ahead by buying onboard.

your mileage may vary.

May I ask, you mentioned that you tried to bring a box of wind on board. What type/size of box and in your checked bags or your carry on?

I got a good morning chuckle out that typo, thank you!

"you know...before you spend money on hauling your own liquor on board (as i've done in the past), you might want to try and see if it's worth it."

I think for a lot of people it is not just about the few dollars they save. it is a sort of game. They don't like being told what they can and can't bring in their own cabin and the lenghths the cruise lines go to to enforce their rules seem too extreme so it becomes a contest to beat the system. The more scanning devices that the cruise line uses the more tricks they will come up with to beat them.

A nice shot of scotch before dinner is good - a shot of smuggled scotch which shows you have outsmarted the cruise line's silly rules is even sweeter.

We are sailing on the Sun in Feb. I have opted for bar set-up but my DH is checking out the catheter and other means. While I may be enjoying a nice vodka and tonic on our balcony my husband will sucking it from a bag strapped to his leg. Do I need prior permisson to bring on a couple of bottles of wine or do I just carry them on and deal with it then?

Salty Dingo... You can purchase liquor onboard through room service ( i have only been in a suite, but i assume it is the same shipwide). Just look on the room service menu and they have liquor that you may purchase in the $30 $40 and $50 range. Assume the added 15% gratuity.

I had decided to avoid the aggrevation and order a bar set up. I just phoned guest services to discover the lack of options available! No Captain Morgan (or any spiced rum for that matter) and no Jim Beam (only Jack Daniel dark & wild turkey)!! Back to the drawing board.:confused:

Salty Dingo... You can purchase liquor onboard through room service ( i have only been in a suite, but i assume it is the same shipwide). Just look on the room service menu and they have liquor that you may purchase in the $30 $40 and $50 range. Assume the added 15% gratuity.

$30 - $50 range if you pre-order as bar set up. $70-$90 onboard from room service :mad:

Free if your are in an AA or A1 suite

RCL has re-introduced an all you can drink sticker at least on one ship. Does not include bottled wine only by the glass. ONLY $50 pp per day.

What a deal :eek: Only $1000 for two plus wine for a ten day cruise.

On A good sea day I might be able to hit $50 that's only 5 10oz Martinis. I better take a video camera so I can remenber my cruise.

I had decided to avoid the aggrevation and order a bar set up. I just phoned guest services to discover the lack of options available! No Captain Morgan (or any spiced rum for that matter) and no Jim Beam (only Jack Daniel dark & wild turkey)!! Back to the drawing board.:confused:

No Kettle or Grey Goose either - just Smirnof, Absolute @ $40 and Stoli @$50

I ordered the Absolute as a back up plan and may still smuggle the Poland Goose Springs Water ;)

Archived