Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carrying wine aboard policy on NCL?

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine aboard per stateroom. There was no fee if we drank the wine in our stateroom and a $25 corkage fee per bottle if we took the wine into the dining areas. As we have a cruise booked on the NCL Pearl, we were wondering what the policy is for bringing wine aboard as in number of bottles allowed and corkage fees?
Norwegian Cruise Lines Pride of America - 12/2012
Norwegian Cruise Lines Sprirt - 1/2012
Norwegian Cruise Lines Pearl - 1/2011
Celebrity Solstice - 3/2010
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - 3/2009
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas - 8/2008
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - 3/2008
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - 12/2007
Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - 8/2007
Disney Magic - 3/2002
Carnival Paradise - 3/2001
Norwegian Cruise Lines Wind - 3/2000

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose View Post
We just returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were allowed to bring two bottles of wine aboard per stateroom. There was no fee if we drank the wine in our stateroom and a $25 corkage fee per bottle if we took the wine into the dining areas. As we have a cruise booked on the NCL Pearl, we were wondering what the policy is for bringing wine aboard as in number of bottles allowed and corkage fees?
Hello, NCL does allow you to bring bottles of wine on for a $15 corkage fee per bottle. This is for a standard size bottle. They do charge a higher rate for a large bottle. Once the fee is paid, you may drink the wine at any place on the ship. They put a sticker on the bottle for tracking the payment of the fee.

Have a great cruise on the Pearl. We love the Pearl!
NCL Pearl to Southern Caribbean
NCL Pearl to Western Caribbean
NCL Majesty to Bermuda
RCI Serenade of the Seas to South Caribbean
NCL Dawn 12 Day Caribbean
NCL Dawn 9 Days to the Caribbean
NCL Pearl Weekend to Bahamas
NCL Pearl 7 Day Caribbean
NCL Spirit 7 Day West Caribbean & Mardi Gras
NCL Dawn Colonial Repo

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a limit to the number of bottles of wine you can bring aboard?
Norwegian Cruise Lines Pride of America - 12/2012
Norwegian Cruise Lines Sprirt - 1/2012
Norwegian Cruise Lines Pearl - 1/2011
Celebrity Solstice - 3/2010
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - 3/2009
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas - 8/2008
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - 3/2008
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - 12/2007
Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - 8/2007
Disney Magic - 3/2002
Carnival Paradise - 3/2001
Norwegian Cruise Lines Wind - 3/2000

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Would like to know about bottle limits as well...

I would be interested if anyone knows about number of bottles per person limit on NCL?? And what is the average cost of wine per bottle on-board the ship for comparison?

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a limit to the number of bottles of wine you can bring aboard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_whet View Post
I would be interested if anyone knows about number of bottles per person limit on NCL?? And what is the average cost of wine per bottle on-board the ship for comparison?
There's no limit, but you are required to pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee for bringing the bottle on board, even if you drink the wine in you cabin. As was mentioned, some cruise lines don't impose a corkage fee if you drink the wine in your cabin.

The cheapest bottles on the ship start at about $28-30, and the sky's the limit from there.

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am a Beringer White Zin drinker. The ship charges $32 for a small bottle. I carry on 2 large bottles ($11.00 each) and pack my own cork screw. When we sailed on the Pearl in June 2007, I told them the wine was for consumption in my cabin only. I was NOT charged the corking fee.

I'm doing the same thing this coming Friday when I board the Dawn. If they charge me the corking fee, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $8 or $9 for one glass.

Karen

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you go to NCL's website & check the Bon Voyage gifts you can
find a list of wines / prices for pre-ordering but they pretty much
match the on-board dining room prices.
Last year we carried on 4 bottles of wine & a bottle of Champagne
& paid $15.00/bottle. There was nothing said about a limit.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default corkage fee...

The fee applies to box-o-wine also.
IF you happened to bring wine on and not be charged a fee, Great! BUT, don't plan on it happening again.
NCL - Pearl (11506) 6/10 - Family Cruise
RCI - FOS 10/12 - Buddy Cruise
RCI - GOS 10/13 - Buddy Cruise

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got off the gem this past Saturday. I brought a bottle and was fully prepared to pay the fee. No one stopped me in, and when i asked about the sticker at guest services, they just said that at the restaurant they would charge the fee. When i brought it to the restaurant they just opened it up without charging, just lucked out there.

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgm0612 View Post
I am a Beringer White Zin drinker. The ship charges $32 for a small bottle. I carry on 2 large bottles ($11.00 each) and pack my own cork screw. When we sailed on the Pearl in June 2007, I told them the wine was for consumption in my cabin only. I was NOT charged the corking fee.

I'm doing the same thing this coming Friday when I board the Dawn. If they charge me the corking fee, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $8 or $9 for one glass.

Karen
When you brought it on the Pearl, did you just pack it in your carry on bag and that is when you were questioned?? And let us know what happens this Friday, I can bring my own wine opener, no need to be charged $15!

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have always packed a bottle of wine in our checked luggage and have never been stopped. I wrap it up good in bubble wrap put it in a ziplock bag and tuck it away in my clothing. I already have a bottle packed for our cruise we are leaving for on Sunday. This will make or 9th cruise with NCL! We love freestyle.

Last edited by Dancinfeet; March 24th, 2010 at 04:04 PM.

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Does not matter if you bring your own corkscrew, or even have a screwtop bottle. Same fee applies. $15 per 750ml

Never, ever heard of a limit as to the number of bottles.

Some people get stopped. Some do not.

If you were allowed on without a charge in 2007, consider yourself very, very lucky.

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had.
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...................NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07....................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07... ........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06..........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05...................Seabourn Pride:NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04....Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default carrying wine onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarla View Post
Does not matter if you bring your own corkscrew, or even have a screwtop bottle. Same fee applies. $15 per 750ml

Never, ever heard of a limit as to the number of bottles.

Some people get stopped. Some do not.

If you were allowed on without a charge in 2007, consider yourself very, very lucky.

And, for those asking, I must assume you are new here at the NCL boards. You would serve yourself well to scan through the postings, and you may find answers to other questions you did not know you had.
Thank You GaryCarla! There seems to be at least one of these questions everyday. Too bad people don't use the "search" more often.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEcruisers???? View Post
Thank You GaryCarla! There seems to be at least one of these questions everyday. Too bad people don't use the "search" more often.
Search would be nice, but it would so very easy just to read the posts right there in front on them. Amazing how somebody can post a question on the board that is already being discussed, on the FIRST page.

Oh well.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarla View Post
Search would be nice, but it would so very easy just to read the posts right there in front on them. Amazing how somebody can post a question on the board that is already being discussed, on the FIRST page.

Oh well.
Maby we should post a new thread about "suite perks" in the AF mini suites!!!
Bring on the Popcorn!! Ha! Ha!

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow. Sorry, while I may be new to CC, I am not new to cruising, can't be too much new information to talk about on NCL everyday, so why not have the new people ask their questions to people that are currently posting helpful information? I'd rather read about someone just getting back from their cruise to see what the current trend is than waste my time or $ trying. Thanks.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEcruisers???? View Post
Maby we should post a new thread about "suite perks" in the AF mini suites!!!
Bring on the Popcorn!! Ha! Ha!

Mini suite is not a suite
There are no formal nights
You can not bring booze, other than wine
$12 a day per person is service charge/tipping
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...................NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07....................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07... ........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06..........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05...................Seabourn Pride:NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04....Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlathegr8 View Post
Wow. Sorry, while I may be new to CC, I am not new to cruising, can't be too much new information to talk about on NCL everyday, so why not have the new people ask their questions to people that are currently posting helpful information? I'd rather read about someone just getting back from their cruise to see what the current trend is than waste my time or $ trying. Thanks.
I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Don't be sorry. That's what the boards are for and MOST of us don't mind at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collcoll View Post

I agree. I've searched the threads and have asked a question that has been asked and answered for a couple of reasons. 1. There may be newer information. 2. I like hearing different perspectives. If a new post isn't created then it's not likely that a group of new people will add their opinions or knowledge.

What I can never understand is why people who don't want to read a post about the same questions over and over bother to look into a thread about things like can you bring on your own wine or when is formal night? If they aren't interested then why not skim right past the thread?

I say ignore the search, ask your questions and laugh at anyone who bashes you for it!
Excellent question and suggestion.
UPCOMING:
NCL Breakaway to Fl/Bahamas, February 22, 2015
Celebrity Summit to Caribbean, October 18, 2015
GREAT MEMORIES:
(24) NCL Jade to W. Mediterranean, March 1, 2014; (23) Celebrity Constellation to Key West, January 2, 2014; (22) NCL Jewel to W. Caribbean, October 27, 2013 - BOO!; (21) NCL Breakaway to Bermuda, July 21, 2013; (20) NCL Jewel to Nowhere, February 1, 2013; (19) NCL Dawn to Western Caribbean, December 2, 2012; (18) NCL Star (2 night) CTN, April 27, 2012; (17) NCL Gem CTN, January 28, 2012; (16) NCL Jade to E. Mediterranean, November 16, 2011 (The 3-2-1 Cruise: 3 Continents, 2 Women, 1 Ship); (15) CCL Glory to Canada/New England, June 9, 2011; (14) NCL Gem CTN, May 7, 2011; (13) NCL Jewel Cruise to Nowhere, February 12, 2011; (12) NCL Gem to Greek Isles, May 8, 2010; (11) NCL Gem Cruise to Nowhere, January 23, 2010; (10) NCL Dawn to Bermuda, June 21, 2009;(9) NCL Dawn (2 night) Cruise to Nowhere, May 1, 2009; (8) NCL Dawn Cruise to Nowhere, April 30, 2009;(7) NCL Gem to Florida/Bahamas, February 23, 2008; (6) NCL Spirit Cruise to Nowhere, September 1, 2007; (5) NCL Dawn Cinco de Mayo Cruise to Nowhere, 2007; (4) NCL Pearl to W. Caribbean, December 2006;(3) NCL Dawn to E. Caribbean, March 2006;(2) NCL Crown to Bermuda, June 2005;(1) NCL ?? to Bahamas, March 1993

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Don't give it a second thought.

As sure as there will always be people posting questions that have already been answered, you can also bet on other people to have a field day while they taunt and act superior to those posters.

Only they think they are amusing.

Everyone else knows they are rude and condescending.

Enjoy your cruise!

Carnival Freedom 12/26/2010
Bermuda Norwegian Spirit 6/11/2010
Disney Wonder 8/08