Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bread Pudding

Hello Everyone,
From what I have been reading on these boards, the concensus seems to be that most people like the bread pudding served on HAL ships. I love bread pudding!!! Can anyone tell me what makes HAL's special? Are there any other delights that I should be aware of?
Thank you and have a good day,
Debbie

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:33 AM
10,000+ Club

In the food department, the chocolate volcano cake served in the Pinnacle Grille is most excellent. Otherwise, the crew make Holland America ships special. They are so smiling, friendly, and eager to make your stay a memorable one.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:53 AM
50,000+ Club

I have had great bread pudding and bad bread pudding. Sometimes the sauce is too watered down.

The best bread pudding I have ever had it the chocolate bread pudding on the Amsterdam. Wonder if they still serve it on that ship?

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can never get excited about bread pudding or macaroni cheese, even though it is served in the Pinnacle.

These are the foods we got in Britain when food was rationed after WW2 or later when mother had no money left at the end of the week. In view of their association with hard times and poverty, I have never felt the urge to eat them during a luxury vacation.

By the way, foods eaten by poor people in the last century included gin and oysters so I guess nothing is for ever!!

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The bread pudding is wonderful - and they even have the recipe for you to take! It's found in the Lido in the section where they have the ice cream and desserts - and you have to ask for it.

Also chocolate croissants and raisin buns for breakfast. I don't usually like raisins in baked goods but I fell in love with the raisin buns - not too sweet and great with either butter or cream cheese. Fortunately the recipe is in the cookbook so one of these days I'm going to try them.

And HAL's beds are wonderful.

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Is bread pudding only in the Lido, or in the MDR as well? Is it offered every day in the Lido? We only eat at the buffet once each cruise (embarkation day), but if it's as good as everyone says, this bread pudding might be worth another visit.
Sitmar, Home lines, Chandris, Dolphin, and others long gone but not forgotten

Photos: Our cruises
Most recent cruises:

Amsterdam - Panama Canal, SD-FLL, Christmas/NYE - 12/20/13
Veendam - Canada/New England B2B - 6/1/13
Maasdam - 3/8/13
Caribbean Princess - Christmas - 12/22/12
Crown Princess - Greek Isles, Venice-Rome - 6/17/12

Email: Email me

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post

The best bread pudding I have ever had it the chocolate bread pudding on the Amsterdam. Wonder if they still serve it on that ship?
Chocolate Bread Pudding!!!
Yum!! I can't wait!! What other kinds do they have? What are some of the other treats that one can look forward to?

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infi View Post
Is bread pudding only in the Lido, or in the MDR as well? Is it offered every day in the Lido? We only eat at the buffet once each cruise (embarkation day), but if it's as good as everyone says, this bread pudding might be worth another visit.
I think it's just in the Lido. And you don't necessarily have to eat a meal there - just stop by for dessert. They have really good ice cream too.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
5,000+ Club

I'd heard so many positive comments about the bread pudding that I was really looking forward to it. I love bread pudding. But I guess I'm spoiled by the bread pudding at Harrahs in Laughlin NV. Their bread pudding is the absolute best I've ever tasted. So, I was a bit disappointed by HAL's bread pudding on the Zaandam when I had it. It was better than many others I've had, but not as good as I'd expected.
I'll try the chocolate bread pudding on the Amsterdam in May if they still have it. Maybe that will live up to my expectations.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
Can never get excited about bread pudding or macaroni cheese, even though it is served in the Pinnacle.

These are the foods we got in Britain when food was rationed after WW2 or later when mother had no money left at the end of the week. In view of their association with hard times and poverty, I have never felt the urge to eat them during a luxury vacation.

By the way, foods eaten by poor people in the last century included gin and oysters so I guess nothing is for ever!!
Add lobster to your list

'1605 -- First recorded lobster catch. Lobsters were plentiful in the 1600-1700s. They were often considered a paupers food. There are even stories of indentured servants having it written into their contracts that they could not be served lobster more than twice a week.'
http://www.lobster.um.maine.edu/index.php?page=52

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

On my Alaskan cruise last year, I always had a serving of bread pudding with vanilla sauce in the fridge, and warned my cabin steward not to take it!!!!!!! I watch my calories all year, but not when I'm cruising! I gained 7 lbs in 10 days!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett

I remember well..............
2013 Golden Princess - 4 night California Coastal
2011 Disney Wonder - Mexico
2009 Volendam - Alaska
2009 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
2008 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
2007 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
2004 Ryndam - Sea of Cortez
2004 Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
Sometime after the ice age - Azure Seas

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

On the Zaandam they had Bread and Butter Pudding - is this the same thing everyone is talking about?

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Every HAL ship I've been on (six) has had BREAD PUDDING in LIDO but it hasn't been by the ice cream.................it's been where it can be in the warming "dish"..................this time we had to lift the cover to scoop it out. Sometimes, it's just in warming pans, under lights..........but, it's always been with the desserts. I really had to search it out last week. I like it without the sauce.
What I like about it is all the custard underneath.
And, they DO have many wonderful pastries/breads with raisins. The raisin scones at "TEA" in the afternoons are SO good...........and I never have bkfst. in the LIDO without the raisin buns. If ordering Room Service, I write them in.
We feel the LIDO is a wonderful lunch choice because of the HUGE variety. I like to get several of the veggies (cooked)..........last year I ate spinach every day of our 14 day Alaska (we did a b-2-b); it had garlic in it most of the time...........and I really enjoy the Asian Station.
HAVE FUN!

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now I did not know that I could write in raisin roll for room service breakfast! I have a real thing for them! The bread pudding of choice for me is the raisin as well. Oh that warm vanilla sauce! Two weeks and I'm there!

Old March 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've only been on one Vista class ship, and the bread pudding was served from behind the counter by the same person serving the ice cream.

On the other ships I've sailed, it has been self-serve, front and center in the dessert section. Two reasons I like that better... 1) I'm looking for the spoonful with the least raisins, and 2) I get to determine the amount of vanilla sauce ... sometimes... ALL sauce.

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

We received over a dozen requests for this recipe, including this promise from Sheila: "I make a pretty good bread pudding, nothing to compare with the bread pudding on Holland America Line's Oosterdam. I will be forever in your debt if you can provide this recipe." Sheila, now that we've learned this scrumptious way to use day-old bread, you don't owe us anything.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

Ingredients
1 quart milk
6 eggs, beaten
3 egg yolks, beaten
6 oz sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 lbs day-old bread
3 oz butter, melted
4 oz raisins

Vanilla Sauce
1 pint milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
8 oz sugar
9 oz egg yolks Bread and Butter Pudding With Vanilla Sauce
This bread pudding with its creamy, vanilla-bean-speckled sauce is a Holland America classic. If you don't have custard cups, serve it family style in a large casserole dish. This recipe yields 15 servings of bread pudding and three pints of sauce. To make a rum sauce, add 1/4 cup of rum per every pint of vanilla sauce -- yum.

1. To make the custard, combine milk, eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla; mix well.

2. To prepare the bread, cut in cubes, drizzle with butter and toast in the oven.

3. Combine custard, bread and raisins; fill buttered custard cups.

4. Bake in a water bath in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until custard is set.

5. To make the sauce, heat milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean (cut in half lengthwise) and half of the sugar until it boils. Remove the vanilla.

6. Combine egg yolks and the rest of the sugar, then temper with part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly.

7. Pour tempered mixture into the remaining milk and return to the heat.

8. Stirring constantly, cook to 180 degrees. Remove immediately from stove and strain into a bowl.

9. Cool using an ice bath -- simply place the bowl in a larger bowl filled with icy water, being careful not to let the sauce get wet.

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

While growing up my Mother would make the best ever bread pudding. She learned this way to prepare the pudding from Chassen's restaurant in Hollywood. (The same Chassen's that was best known for its chili). Mom would use left over Danish, bread, glazed donuts, raisin cinnamon rolls, etc as the base. Many times she would buy day old products from the bakery. Try this by using a basic bread pudding recipe and add the baked goods I mentioned. This pudding is fantastic.

Old March 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infi View Post

Hi Infi. I loved the bread pudding on our Statendam cruise! It was sooooo good.

Past Cruises:
2/23/2013 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/2011 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
1/2/2011 HAL Zaandam - 10 Day Sea of Cortez
12/15/2010 Coral Princess - 15 Day - Panama Canal
12/21/09 HAL Statendam - 18 Day - Panama Canal
09/14/09 Coral Princess - 11 Day Alaska Cruise Tour
12/20/08 Emerald Princess - 10 Day Caribbean - FL
12/18/07 Diamond Princess - 15 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/06 Celebrity Millennium - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/14/05 Coral Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/18/04 Caribbean Princess - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/16/03 Island Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/12/02 Sea Princess - 7 Day Caribbean out of San Juan
12/14/01 Celebrity Galaxy - 7 Day Caribbean - San Juan

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Another real treat is the pecan rolls they serve in the Lido for breakfast. Sometimes the sweet cart in the MDR has them as well. They are my favorite, yum.

August '03 Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean
August '04 Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean
April '06 Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
March '09 Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean
November '11 Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean
January '13 Noordan - Southern Caribbean
January '14 Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by Cruiz'nBaers; March 27th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default French Onion Soup

Now that I have learned that the bread pudding is a favorite, among a few other delights that have been mentioned in posts here, I have to ask about the French Onion Soup. I saw it on the menus on the HAL website. I have just been recently introduced to this amazing soup. My first bowl was so delicious that I was instantly hooked. I usually order it as an appetizer whenever we eat out. I have even created a really good recipe for it to enjoy at home. If I don't eat it so much that I get sick of it, I am looking forward to having some on my cruise. Is it really as good as I am hoping it will be?