Our own wine for Dinner

You call Room Service. They will pick up your wine and it will appear on your table that night. It worked well. Just got back from Navigator, Xmas and New Year's cruise.

There is a $12 corkage fee per bottle. Maybe.

We just carried it from our cabin with us to dinner. No problems.

Yikes! And did you pay the corkage fee? $12 is a bit steep on an $8 bottle of wine...lol!

We are going on Sovereign in March.

I read a lot of these threads regarding corkage fees. Doesn't it just make sense to pack a bottle openner in your luggage and open the bottle in your room prior to dinner. Then just stick the cork back in and when you get to dinner pull it off. Whos to say that you did not get that bottle of wine from a lounge and decided to bring it to dinner. Very simple solution to a very simple question, no need to pay corkage rates........

Agree / Disagree????

I have never paid a corkage, but it really depends on your waiter. I think that if they like you, they'll wave it. But if your a pain, they may charge you each time.

We've gone on 7 cruises, brought wine with us each one and still have yet to pay the corkage fee.

In our case, we brought our wine from home because we prefer local VA wines. They do cost more than $8 per bottle, but are less than the $35 - $45 ship's price range for the wines we might order from the dining room. We expected to pay a corkage fee & were charged a couple of times, but not every time. Since we expected to pay the fee, we just considered it a perk when our waiter chose to overlook the fee. The August 04 Grandeur cruise is when we brought our own wine since we were able to drive to the port of Baltimore. When flying, we purchase a bottle for dinner from our waiter.

I read a lot of these threads regarding corkage fees. Doesn't it just make sense to pack a bottle openner in your luggage and open the bottle in your room prior to dinner. Then just stick the cork back in and when you get to dinner pull it off. Whos to say that you did not get that bottle of wine from a lounge and decided to bring it to dinner. Very simple solution to a very simple question, no need to pay corkage rates........

Agree / Disagree????

Agree completely, but is that kosher? First time cruise coming up.....don't want to be a chintzo, but also would prob'ly choke on it if I paid $35 a bottle at the table! I will no doubt have a glass of whatever I bring with me in the room b4 dinner, so taking the rest of it to the table would make perfect sense.....to me anyway!

Archived