Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Clothing for Alaska in September

We are going on the Mercury to Alaska in September for 7 day's And 4 day's in Vancouver before heading onto Hawaii. My question is what type of clothing is appropriate for this time of year for Alasaka and Vancouver? We are from Australia so we don't experience the type of cold weather as you all do. I don't want to fill my suitcase with unnecessary items. What would all you seasoned cruisers recommend to pack ?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...753319&page=53
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1938058
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...3#post41784973
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7#post41784987

Future Cruises

NCL Jewel Seattle, Alaska, Vancouver 7 days 09/13/14
NCL Jewel Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles 5 days 09/20/14
NCL Jewel Los Angeles, Panama Canal, Houston 16 days 09/25/14
NCL Jewel Houston, Western Caribbean 7 days 10/11/14
P&O Pacific Jewel J510A 2/3/15
Carnival Legend 18 days Hawaii to Sydney 9/26/15
Cruises Past
Carnival Legend Europe from Dover 12 days Pt 1 09/01/13
Carnival Legend Europe from Dover 12 days Pt 2 09/13/13
Carnival Spirit South Pacific 12 days 09/28/12
Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Family Cruise 7 days 09/16/12
P&O Pacific Sun 4 day's 03/04/2012
RCCL Voyager Of The Seas TA 13 days 10/30/11
Carnival Magic 12 days mediterannian 10/16/11
Carnival Magic 9 days Mediterannian 10/7/11
Carnival Spirit Hawaii 12 days 9/14/10
Celebrity Mercury Alaska 7 days 09/05/10
Sun Princess Hawaiian Discovery 17 days 09/29/09
Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 7 days 11/30/08
Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean 7 days 12/07/08

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

We visited Alaska twice in September. One year we wore shorts; the next year raincoats. My advice to you is layer, layer, layer. It would be best to bring a vest and a waterproof jacket. Hat. If you add or subtract a sweater, you will be fine. The temps are not cold enough for winter clothing, but if it's raining, the dampness can be chilly. It's a great time of year to visit as there are fewer tourists and the stores usually are giving good deals because they're getting ready to close.

By the way, the cruise to and from Hawaii can get chilly too. So your jackets will serve double purpose. Judy

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clothes for Alaska in Sept

Layer...Layer..Layer. It won't be that cold, unless you are out on the glacier or perhaps in the snow on an excursion. We always bring a lightweight rain coat (you never know when it will rain there), long sleeve shirts, undershirts for layering, some sort of water resistant shoe, socks (a few extra in case they get wet). A polar fleece vest or coat can be nice, but not required. Gloves, hats and scarves are nice if it is cold or windy on deck and on shore. We use them to bundle up and enjoy the view from the balcony. Have been there in September and you could wear shorts and short sleeve t shirts, other times in September it was rainy and cold, you never know.

Remember to bring binoculars. Some rooms come with them, but they are not that good. You will have lots of opportunities to see whales, dolphins and beautiful scenery..the binoculars can come in handy.

I don't think you need to worry about the cold, as much as the wet weather. Rain happens alot in Alaska

We are also sailing to Alaska in September, on board the Infinity.
Enjoy your cruise!

2012 Celebrity Infinity Alaska
2010 Celebrity Infinity Alaska
2010 RCCL Mexican Riveria Ukulele Cruise
2009 Princess Carribean New England/Canada
2008 Princess Ruby (Romance on The Ruby Contest Winner "Free Cuise")
2008 Celebrity Infinity Alaska
2007 Celebrity Mercury PNW (back2back)
2006 Celebrity Mercury Alaska
2005 Celebrity Mercury PNW
2002 Carnival Baja

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Twice also...

Shorts or jeans for in port....light jacket or waterproof windbreaker....Both times our port weather was in the mid 50's or higher...

We are headed back to Vancouver for the September wine cruise that ends in San Diego...For us it will be the same as we have done in the past..

Dave

G.K. Chesterton

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:16 AM
5,000+ Club

I'm from a cold weather state, and yet I still ended up buying a sweater on board, on our Alaska cruise one September! It can get quite cold..and suddenly warm up, especially on shore. We always pack gloves and heavy socks --standing on deck, watching animals or glaciers, it can get quite chilly. But it's worth it!

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

It was pretty cold on my Alaska cruise in September. Vancouver weather was much warmer. We walked around in shorts and capris (with a light jacket at night) while we were there.

It was quite chilly in our Alaska ports...especially when we were in a boat or near a glacier, so plan accordingly on those days. We wore turtlenecks with fleece vests, a fleece jacket, and a rain coat...as the day goes on you can peel off whatever you don't need. You'll also need a hat and gloves.

I would not recommend jeans as it rained a lot when we were there and there is nothing worse than wet jeans in the cold. I bought a few pairs of these http://www.rei.com/product/706787 (they have them for men too) and wore long underwear under them. They were fantastic....water just rolled right off them and they were never uncomfortable. They don't wrinkle either which is a plus.

The last thing I would recommend is water-proof shoes. I don't like hiking boots so I bought a pair of Gore-Tex lined trail running shoes. They were my best investment. I still wear them all the time when it's rainy

Enjoy your trip!!!
Celebrity Solstice 04/11/2010 (Eastern Caribbean)
Celebrity Solstice 2/26/2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
ms Nieuw Amsterdam 1/27/2013 (Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Eclipse 5/24/2014 (14 Night Baltics)

Last edited by Jen & Kim; March 30th, 2010 at 08:43 AM.

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I was there last Sept. We could not get warm at times. I would suggest hat, gloves. I usually had on something like this for all days we were there.. a long sleeve t-shirt, sweater, fleece type jacket . And I also had on armour leggings under my jeans. We could not get warm enough at times. It is very hard to know what your weather will be like for that time.

Last edited by Alliea; March 30th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love AK in September and go most years............only once (when I inroduced my daughter to the great state) have I had rain.
You will be in a very moderate area of AK.............I don't know what cruise you've chosen, but if you're mostly in the Inside Passage the only snow you will see will be at Mendenhall Glacier unless you take a helicopter ride over glaciers.
Last year we wore shorts ashore............there are no assurances regarding weather here in the great northwest.
Just layer, take mittens/gloves and a head covering...............be sure to have sunglasses............and something for rain.
The cruise to/from Hawaii may get cool if you're on deck at night (and a bit rocky when crossing the Pacific).............it's a great cruise. I love Sea Days.
HAVE FUN!!