OK, 1 more dumb ? .... BOX WINE

So they have these great new boxes of wine (Black Box is our fav) that are a HUGE step above the old stigma of boxed wine, and it's cheapness. (they're $20+ now, but still a great deal considering they're 3-4 bottles inside.)

So they would be GREAT to bring on the cruise, for our room, etc. (not dining room, haha) Just pour one glass, no bottle to break...

But now I wonder... what's going to happen to them on the plane?????

THey seem to have a bit of room in the plastic bag, but will they blow like a potato chip bag would? Anyone wanna guess on this one?

:eek:

I always take them in my hand luggage.

This time I bought them in Ft.Lauderdale - but I had to go to a Publix to get them (one white & one red) - and the selection was not all that good. Couldn't find any in the wine & spirit shops.

I work in the flexible packaging industry. If you pack a sealed bag of wine and place it in your checked luggage it WILL be exposed to a partial vacuum and expand. It might or might not leak depending on the construction of the pouch and the type of dispensing fitment used. But each box will add about 8lbs to the weight of your luggage eating into the increasingly limited baggage weight allowance.

You would probably be safe brining it in you carry-on as the cabin is pressurized to 10,000ft. But, again, a box of wine will take up alot of space that could be used for essentials in case your checked bags get lost.

I think your best bet is to buy it at the port city.

Black Box is also my favorite. I'm all packed and ready to head to the Serenade this weekend and my Black Box is in my checked luggage. I have it inside a large ziplock bag and wrapped in a towel for extra protection. I think it will be fine. And coming home, I will have that much more room in my suitcase for whatever "baubles" I may buy! Will really enjoy sipping my wine on the balcony after returning from port each day! Ahh!

Well, hi there Beelady. Hope you and Beeman have a great cruise on Serenade...and also hope you are extracting the wine from the box--instead of from your clothes! I really worry about things like that and once pitched such a fit when they tried to make me check my carry-on full of Spanish olive oil, that they let me carry it on anyway. Good luck. Be sure and let us know how it went when you return.:p

There is no difference in pressurization of the passenger area and the cargo area on an airplane, they are both pressurized. The cargo hold is not heated to the same degree as the passenger cabin, but the entire fuselage of the airplane is pressurized. If not, it would require a very thick, heavy and strong passenger cabin floor to hold the pressure differences. Instead, the strong fuselage structure does that, all the way around the plane, including the cargo hold.

Think of it as a huge thermos bottle. Your wine will be just as happy in the cargo hold as the passenger cabin, though it it bursts, for whatever reason, 4 bottles of wine would make quite a mess.

K&RCURT: I love it....there really is someone somewhere who knows something about everything if you happen to ask at the right time! What are the odds that someone would ask about bags when someone whose profession is just that was on the board!

Now, about this Black Box wine....I have never seen it. WHere would I find it? Do they have a Merlot?

Black Box is the brand name and it comes in merlot, cab. sauvignon, and chardonnay. Consumer Reports recently rated boxed wines, and it scored very well. One box is 3 liters, = to 4 bottles of wine.

Not to worry Truffles, my wine is packed in a smaller suitcase along with snorkle gear and other stuff that won't be bothered it the unthinkable should happen. Plus, it's wrapped in a towel in a ziplock bag , so I think I'm safe, and those around me should be safe too!!

Will toast you all next week!

This does sound like a better alternative than traditional glass wine bottles. Still, I think I'd put it into carry-on luggage. Better safe than sorry -- just think of what this quantity could do to the inside of your suitcase!

Is it available in smaller containers? I think I'd prefer to bring several small boxes rather than one large one.

I recently brought a 5 liter box of wine:eek: . I packed it in my checked bag wrapped in many heavy duty plastic garbage bags. Even if for some reason it would of got damaged there would of been no way for the wine to leak. I also wrapped the bags with clear duct tape. I was more worried that the cruiseline would take it away from me.

Carrie;)

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't you just picture James Bond in a hotel room with his current lady love, picking up the phone and saying to room service, "Send up some Beluga and a BOX of your finest champagne"?

celtic

That is sooooo funny. Remember that old Bond film, Diamonds are Forever, when he mentions to the bad guy on the cruise ship posing as a waiter when they pour him a Bordeaux? "I would have expected a claret!?" reply: "We are all out of claret, sorry"....Bye bye, bad guy! Swim with the sharks!

Cheers!

Archived