Should I bring my double stoller on Disney Magic?

My family and I will set sail on our first cruise May 15, 2010.:D We will be sailing on the Disney Magic on a 11 night Mediterranean Cruise. I was wondering what type of stroller should I bring? Will my double side by side stroller be a problem? I have a 2 and a half year old and a 1 and a half year old. I really don't want to have to bring two seperate single strollers. Is it common to have strollers on a cruise? I will mainly need it for the airport and shore excusions. I would love to hear from experienced cruisers on this matter.

Thanks!!!

It will not fit through the hallways on the ship--at least not so that others can pass. The hallways are only about four feet wide in some areas.

You'll also have an impossible time navigating the narrower streets/sidewalks in Europe. Overall it's not particularly stroller friendly, and you'll encounter more stairs and curbs than you do in the US. Trying to negotiate a double stroller up and down sounds like a nightmare.

You'll also have a terrible time trying to store it in your cabin unless you have a suite.

Bring two umbrella strollers. You'll thank me later.

I'm really not worried about the stroller once we get off the boat, it's just getting around on the boat. Also, one of the excursions will require tendering, so I'm not sure if the stroller will be a pose a problem there.

I've toured Rome already with our stroller and we didnt have a problem with the cobble stone streets. We've been to Pompeii with it also and it was a bit of a challege there, but i wouldnt change that experience for the world! I guess I just really need to know if I will be able to get around well on the ship with it.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!!

The hallways on the ship in the passenger areas are quite narrow - I'd be very surprised if the stroller would fit down the hallway with enough space for anyone to get by you. If you don't want to bring two separate strollers, I'd suggest springing for a back to back style stroller - it will work out much better for you onboard.

Not to mention the midship elevators - quite small!

I hadn't thought about the elevators, but you're right. You'd have to wait for a totally empty elevator, which is rare. Even parents with regular strollers seem to have trouble getting in the elevators.

Definitely true on the elevators. We gave up on them pretty much and always used the stairs. And we were just passengers. I can't imagine trying to get on one of those elevators with a stroller, let alone a doublewide unless it was around 3:00 am.

Even off the ship Europe is not as kid centric as the U.S. with narrow walkways and lots of stairs. Kids backpack(s) work well on excursions and the foldable travel types would function alot better. Plus where the heck would you store that monster in your cabin? Check the excursions because some may note no wheeled devices allowed. I was on other excursions that stated such. Plus I don't think you would make many "friends" onboard wheeling through the halls.;)

• 1 month later...
My family and I will set sail on our first cruise May 15, 2010.:D We will be sailing on the Disney Magic on a 11 night Mediterranean Cruise. I was wondering what type of stroller should I bring? Will my double side by side stroller be a problem? I have a 2 and a half year old and a 1 and a half year old. I really don't want to have to bring two seperate single strollers. Is it common to have strollers on a cruise? I will mainly need it for the airport and shore excusions. I would love to hear from experienced cruisers on this matter.

Thanks!!!

Not sure if you wanted to use a stroller on board...if that is the case, I agree on bringing 2 umbrella strollers. Narrow halls and much easier to store in your stateroom under the bed. If you are only concerned about the excursions, the ship has strollers that they let you check out. We just had to give our room key and they put a deposit on our room and when we returned them they tore up the deposit paper. They are jogging type strollers and our boys were very comfortable in them.

Hope that helps!

If you are only concerned about the excursions, the ship has strollers that they let you check out. We just had to give our room key and they put a deposit on our room and when we returned them they tore up the deposit paper. They are jogging type strollers and our boys were very comfortable in them.

Hope that helps!

I had a quick question on these strollers-- are they reclining? Would a 6.5 month old be able to fall asleep in them?

I had a quick question on these strollers-- are they reclining? Would a 6.5 month old be able to fall asleep in them?

I can't remember for sure, but I think they are not able to adjust. They weren't really straight up either though. My 3 y.o. fell asleep in it. Hopefully someone has used one recently or call DCL and see if they know.

• 2 weeks later...

We just went on the Wonder in April with a 4 year old and 1 year old. My daughter brought her double side by side stroller, and was so happy she did! It worked out just fine in the elevators, hallways, and everywhere else! Even the dining rooms! Please don't let people discourage you from bringing it, it was so nice to have it!:)

Archived