We returned Jan.2 off the “Splendor of the Seas” and we are coming back here, to the Boards, to “give back” to the GREAT posters who had helped us make our cruise a grande experience. Overall a 10 for service, food , execution
1) embark at Tampa was the fastest ever. Arrived at noon dropped off bags. Parked car at the garage across from the ship. Walk thru the “ boarding procedure” and we are … IN OUR CABIN : 12:37pm. The luggage already there !!!
2) Ship is @ ten years old …. very well maintained. Everything was clean and fresh and shows well.
3) The food was “wonderful, excellent, nice presentation, good quality, plentiful portion with many options to chose from with a very good wine list. . The Bakery items were out-standing!!!! Fresh eggs at the casual dinner -(someone said here that that was not the case …but on days we had to tender for shore excursions, and thus .. went to the “Windjammer” .. one could get eggs anyways one would want. Excellent!! Again nice, courteous servers.
4) The balcony cabin on seven, that we had, was very nice. Best floor to be on in our opinion. Away from the noise above the 8th floor (and the odor of the pool grill coming down to them on 8) and The balcony makes a special place for private time outs. Everyone we spoke with was pleased with the condition and make up of their cabins.
5) The service ….. BEST of our 3 experiences !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We give out small $ 2.00 tips right off the bat, first day. This might be the reason … but we noticed that everyone was getting very high levels of attention. Some people were at little angry about the cloudy weather and seemed to take their frustrations out on the crew. ---We missed Grande Cay .. Too windy and rough for the tenders to operate with safety.
6) Three formal nights --- majority was “formal” for the first, going down to half for the second and a third for the last ( which was New Years’ eve in Key West--surprise her--cause we got to stay over till 9 am the next day--Jan.1.…and we loved that cause we lived in K.W. for 26 yrs and this gave us ample time to re-connect with all the old and favorite places. Although we left, being glad we had sold in late 90s. Great place to ‘tourist visit” , but to live, .. Maybe not.)
7) Jamaica. The Canopy Tour IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME. I’m 60 and I say again …BEST OF ALL TIME. Not affected by past storms --AT ALL.
8) Belize. We did the cave tube. Lots of fun and somewhat interesting. Went with Extreme in a group of only seven. That was much nicer than the 35 plus on the “boats” tour.
9) Cozamel. Went too mainland for the Tulum ruins tour .. With added Ex-Ha water park.
The ruins was very beautiful but unbelievable crowds. Hundreds if not thousands. Very nice but that was a bummer. The Water Park is GREAT IF YOU ARE OR HAVE KIDS!! Otherwise, it is a great waste of time. Just another water park like any here in the U.S. And super crowded to beat.
10) Key West. A Great … used to be .. Special.. Town and experience. Now it is so popular and tourist filled … tee shops and booze joints and motor bike and traffic traffic, traffic. The architecture and plants are still the attraction …. Plus if you like getting drunk and rowdy … hi-ho it is the place to go.
11) Entertainment was amateurish and poorly put together… The lighting and tech was Horrid. But the people were trying. They are talented but stuck with old, crony material and a tech staff that was just not with it. -- The individual performers around the ship. (cocktail singer and her group and the classic piano --THEY WERE GREAT! …but too little of them, in our
12) Spas and pools were in grand shape and loads of fun.
13) Internet Room was good ... .50 cents/minute. Library, card rooms very comfortable . Lots of "quite spaces" here.
14) Casino was very smoke filled despite the 1/2 smoke free rule.
Same with the bars. The "Viking Lounge is a great view. HINT: Tell the wait person to "MAKE SURE" the barkeep rinses the shaker before making YOUR martini. The exoctic flavors drinks that were made before reap hell on an otherwise "good" mart".
15)Debarked in 1/2 hour.
This was a smooth, well run ship. (It is prone to vibration--but nothing to complain about).
Hope this helps.. (and the best advise--GET A CLEAR PLASTIC HANGING SHOE BAG--hand it from the top - on the inside of your bath-door and you'll love the super extra convenient storage, that is out of everyone's way and yet ...so handy).
We just love it and can't wait to get out there and .... Seamo