Inpiration Review - Easter Break, Western Caribbean 4/5/10

Lady_Jag

I can still feel the ship moving, but wanted to start a review of our experience while it was still fresh in my head. Please keep in mind that I am documenting my own personal views of our experiences on board.

Feel free to ask questions, and I will do my best to answer them. I will provide pictures as well, but since I am a photo junkie, it might take me a while to sort through all 500 photos I took over the last 5 days.

Overall, we had a fabulous time! My hubby, daughter, and I booked the cruise several months ago, along with 13 other friends, family, and acquaintances. Youngest person in our group was 4, oldest was 50-something. ;) Ports of call included Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I've sailed Carnival 4 other times. It's been nearly a decade since I sailed a Fantasy class ship (Fantasy, 2001), but less than a year since my last Carnival cruise (Glory, 2009).

I have to say that the Inspiration is NOT my favorite ship. I thought the food and ports were good, and the service for the most part was excellent. However, the ship itself could use some TLC, which was surprising, considering it hasn't been that long since it received its "Evolutions of Fun" upgrades. I was also confused by the layout. Even though the Glory is larger, I found it much easier to navigate than the Inspiration. (It might have helped if Carnival had updated the deck plans in the elevator bays to reflect the ship upgrades. LOL!)

Anyway, it was a wonderful cruise, despite a few hiccups. Yes, the ship was packed with kids, especially high school kids, and there were some really crowded areas on board, but everyone was pleasant and we never encountered or witnessed any problems with any other passengers.

So here we go...

We planned to drive to Tampa the night before the cruise and stay at the Hyatt Place - Westshore/Airport, which I booked through price-line months before at better than 1/2 the price of their regular rate.

Since I sing in my church choir, the Easter Bunny still visits my 4-year-old, and my mom wanted to host Easter dinner, Easter Sunday was very busy. In preparation, I made sure our bags were packed and the house clean the day before.

Our friend, Joel, met us at my mom's so that he could ride with us. I had booked 2 rooms at the Hyatt, one for me, hubby, and Alyssa, and a second for Joel. Well, a couple of months after I booked the rooms, Joel's friend, Mark, decided to book the same cruise and was going to fly in from Chicago the day before and share Joel's room.

Uh-oh! Both rooms were in my name, and we weren't going to be checking in until later that night. So when Mark arrived at the hotel around 3:00 or so that afternoon, he couldn't check in. He called Joel, who then put me on the phone with the hotel's front desk. The clerk asked me what were the last 4 digits of the credit card I used to book, and it didn't match the reservation. That's when I discovered that Priceline usually charges the customer's card, then books the room(s) through its own credit card account.

So we had several minutes of trying to figure out a way to verify Mark's and my identities over the phone. It went something like this:

"What are the last 4 digits of the credit card you booked with, Ms. W__?"

"Well, it's a Visa, and it's..."

"I show a MasterCard."

"Um, no, I don't think I would have used my MasterCard."

"Well a MasterCard is listed."

"But my Priceline email has my Visa."

[Pause...background chat about Priceline on the hotel end.]

"OK, Ms. W___, what's the last name of the gentleman checking in?"

[Pause...I had never met Mark, so I whispered, "psst! Joel! What's Mark's last name?!?"]

"It's D____." (I felt like I had just answered the Final Jeopardy question correctly.

"Alright, Ms. W___. We'll go ahead and check him in. What time do you expect to arrive?"

"Thank you. We'll be arriving around 9:00 tonight. See you then."

We had a bit of a laugh over dessert, visited with my mom for a little longer, changed into some comfy driving clothes, then hit the road around 4:30pm. Placing all of our luggage in my SUV was a little like Tetris, but we fit it all in:

carloadfullcu.jpg

Now, I had never travelled during Easter Break, so had no idea the interstate traffic would be so bad. We were making great time that evening until about 1/2 way down I-4, when we were in stop-and-go traffic because someone had pulled off the road and was changing a tire. :eek:

Alright, just a 20 minute delay due to rubber-neckers. Oh well! We were still on track to arrive to the hotel before 8:00 until we hit an even worse "parking lot" on I-4. All three lanes were stopped for about 5 miles. We inched forward...slowly...very slowly...until we finally reached the source of the hold-up. A car had skidded off the road and into the median on the far left. Nothing was in the road, and the police were on the scene, but again rubber-neckers in all lanes in BOTH directions were clogging the highway. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we arrived at the Hyatt just before 9:00. I thought I was being smart, dressing my daughter, Alyssa (age 4), in her PJ's before we hit the road, but she was still wide awake and wired from cruise excitement and Easter candy. We ordered sandwiches from a local place that delivered to our rooms, then we all finally crawled into the bed around 11:00. I hoped that Alyssa would not wake us up too early, and that my hubby, Alex's, gout flare-up would be gone by morning.

The Hyatt Place:

hyattfront.jpg

Our room:

hyattroom-1.jpg

Looking forward to your continued review with lots of pictures!!

A few questions for you, you booked on Priceline, did you bid for your room?

We have 4 of us traveling in December and would like to share a room, just wondering if you can book for 4 in one room on priceline.

Did your hotel have a view of the Port???

thanks

I have to say that the Inspiration is NOT my favorite ship. I thought the food and ports were good, and the service for the most part was excellent. However, the ship itself could use some TLC, which was surprising, considering it hasn't been that long since it received its "Evolutions of Fun" upgrades. I was also confused by the layout. Even though the Glory is larger, I found it much easier to navigate than the Inspiration. (It might have helped if Carnival had updated the deck plans in the elevator bays to reflect the ship upgrades. LOL!)

We sailed her in Oct '08 and noted the same exact things as well as the Lido deck restaurant would only have half of it's food service stations in use so there were very long lines for food. :cool:

DH and I were on the Inspiration at Thanksgiving and sailing on her again in less than 4 weeks. We did not find the ship to be in need of TLC at all. We also sailed on the Glory several years ago and found that ship to have a very confusing layout, especially trying to get to the aft dining room. :)

Looking forward to your continued review with lots of pictures!!

A few questions for you, you booked on Priceline, did you bid for your room?

We have 4 of us traveling in December and would like to share a room, just wondering if you can book for 4 in one room on priceline.

Did your hotel have a view of the Port???

thanks

I did bid for 2 rooms on Priceline. I think I bid $49 for each of the 2 rooms. I'm pretty sure you can book for 4 in one room - there were 3 in ours - but you will be further limiting your available hotels to those that have rooms with 2 double beds (instead of 1 king) available. I know two doubles are usually in a "standard" room, but you never know.

The hotel did not have a view of the port, but was only a short drive away and had a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. I *think* it also had a parking package and shuttle to the port, but I never investigated it, because I like to be in control of when we get there. LOL!

Loved our cruise on the Inspiration last year, looking forward to our next one, had no trouble finding our way around, but thats all we sailed, Fantasy class, could find my away around blindfolded...LOL...looking forward to the rest of your review, thanks for sharing.

The much anticipated Embarkation day! My eyes popped open at 5:00am (until then, I had no idea that there was a 5 in the MORNING!) I was too excited to sleep, and lay in the bed for about an hour trying to force my eyes shut. It was not happening.

I remembered that when I checked in, the desk clerk told me that the complimentary continental breakfast started at 6:00am, so I dressed quietly and walked downstairs. Our friend, Joel, was already there, watching TV and sipping a cup of coffee. I helped myself to some toast, cereal, and hot tea, and Joel and I chatted for a little while. Joel and Mark were meeting a friend of Joel's who lived in the area. She would be shuttling them both to the port in a little while, despite the rumors that no one would be allowed in until at least 10:30. I don't blame them - I was anxious to see the ship too!

Nevertheless, I went back to my room to steal a little morning nap until Alex and Alyssa finally decided to wake up around 8:30. Ah! Just what I needed! Alex's gout was still pretty bad, so while he limped around the room getting ready, I helped a very excited Alyssa get dressed and fed. Finally, we were ready to roll...well, almost! Alex wanted some cash to carry into the ports, and I had forgotten to pack a sweater for Alyssa for the always cold dining room and show lounge. No problem. We reloaded the SUV, then stopped at the nearby Target for both.

hyattluggage.jpg

We finally arrived at the Port of Tampa around 11:00, and opted for valet parking, instead of trying to find a spot in the garage across the street. There were quite a few people there, but nowhere near the crowd that would show up an hour later when my sister-in-law and her family and friends arrived! We were assigned lucky zone 13, and directed to a group of chairs where we could wait for our zone to be called, which was about 11:30 or so.

terminalzone13smile.jpg

We took our S&S photos, then a quick embarkation photo, and were on our way to the main atrium. The minute the atrium came into view, Alyssa shouted "Oh wow!" and broke into a run. We were welcomed aboard by 3 laughing crew members, who thought Alyssa was "too cute."

We went straight to the Lido deck to grab a bite, and text Joel to let him know we were on board. (He was in zone 2 or 3, because they arrived so early.) I grabbed a "wedge" of cheese pizza for Alyssa from the pizza station, and a turkey wrap from the deli for me. I swear, the hot and fresh slice of pizza I received was at least 1/4 the entire pie, and Alyssa surprised me by eating almost the entire thing! (At first, she was too excited to eat, but I cut it with a knife and fork and fed it to her as I told her again and again, per request, about how the pizza chef made it extra cheesy just for her because she was so special, and he wanted me to tell her that he hoped she enjoyed it.)

We toured the ship a bit, and Alyssa immediately wanted to jump in the pool. So we headed to the main deck to drop our bags off in our cabin, M195, which we were assigned by Carnival. The cabin is a category 6c oceanview room on the starboard side with 1 bunk and a California king bed.

There was plenty of of closet space and space to move around, once we stored our luggage under the bed and Alyssa's stroller in the closet. I set up my collapsible cooler on the desk next to the ice bucket, and planned to ask the room steward for extra ice when we met him or her. Problem was, we never DID meet him. I thought that was really weird, considering that our cabin was across the hall from the crew access area, where all the room stewards and room service staff come and go. In fact, when we first arrived to our stateroom, our door was open, and there were 4-5 blue bags of laundry piled up in the doorway. We climbed over without a second thought, but one of the crew (she might have been the assistant steward, or someone else's steward) saw us and immediately started to apologize and clear the bags out of the way. I just smiled, told her not to worry and that it was all perfectly alright, as we understood that there is a lot of work and laundry involved in getting the cabins ready for a new sailing.

Anyway, that first day, I think I caught a brief glimpse of our steward as a blur who whirled in and out of the cabin, dropping off our first Capers...I mean, Fun Times...before I could say so much as "hello." Oh well. There were bags to unpack, and cabin doors to decorate. I was sure I would meet him soon enough. (Sorry to say I was wrong about that.)

Alex and Alyssa changed into bathing suits, and I inflated Alyssa's floaties/water wings so that they could go to the pool and hot tubs. I told Alex I'd meet up with them just before the muster drill, which was scheduled for 3:15. I decorated our door, then added our traditional MagnaDoodle:

roomdoordecor2.jpg

Then I walked around the corner to my in-laws' cabin (M218) to decorate their door with a poster I made. My niece, Katie, busted me though, just as I was sticking the last corner of the poster down with poster putty. Ooops! I walked in and chatted a bit with Mark (a different Mark), my brother-in-law, Tia, my sister-in-law, and their daughters, Kelsey and Katie. (It was Mark and the girls' first cruise, and Tia's first Carnival cruise, having sailed RCL once years prior.)

Tia's room was also an oceanview set up with a bunk and California king. It was a category 6B, and had a roll-away for Katie under the bunk. With the roll-away taking up the floor space at the foot of the big bed, the space seemed tight, but they managed just fine. Their biggest concern was the vibrations they felt in the room. Every so often, the ship's engines would let out a sort of shudder, and the vibration would pulse through the cabin. Each time, Mark would ask, "Did you FEEL that?!?"

I excused myself to take some ship photos before the muster drill, and also to drop off Alyssa's Camp Carnival registration, which I was glad I completed online. I thought it strange that the Camp Carnival orientation was scheduled for 7:00pm, smack dab in the middle of main seating dinner time, when most families who utilize Camp Carnival dine. ???

Anyway, I wandered around and around before giving in and asking a nice Carnival lady wearing a "Just ask me" shirt for directions. (Take the elevator to deck 10, Lido, then get on the other elevator or take the stairs up to deck 11. Then go outside, and immediately to the left is a door on the outer deck that leads into Camp Carnival.) The place was open for viewing, so I took a quick look around. It was very neat and clean, with a craft table, plenty to do and play with, and security cameras and mounted video monitors everywhere.

I went back to the cabin, and was just in time to see all of our checked luggage being delivered. Yay! I could unpack everything before the muster drill! How nice. Soon enough, an announcement was made that passengers did NOT have to take life jackets with them, but to check that there were enough jackets for everyone in the cabin. Our muster station was on the Lido deck, so I walked down to that area, and herded Alyssa and Alex over to where our "official" meeting place, the front of the stage, was.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think Carnival could still improve on the muster drill process. It was great not to have to don life jackets and get packed like sardines in the hot sun on one of the outer decks, but this drill seemed fruitless to me. The passengers on the Lido deck chatted, played, and barely even glanced at the two people on stage demonstrating how to put on the life jacket. Then, the people in the other muster stations (including the rest of our group) were directed to come up to the Lido deck and gather on the outer decks by the lifeboats. (We got to stay where we were and watch people get packed like sardines onto the outer decks.) Then, before everyone could even make it all the way up the stairs to the Lido, the drill was over. Ummmm...ok.

Back to the cabin to change into dinner attire, then off to the promenade to sample some pre-dinner sushi. (Yum!) First, though, I wanted to make a stop at the purser's desk...I mean guest services. I had written a letter to Paul Santley, the cruise director, asking him to give a shout out to my niece, Katie, who would be turning sweet 16 in a few days. I also wrote about how much our group was looking forward to the fun times on the ship, and even gave a little of our cruising backgrounds.

The line at the GS desk was really long, so after several minutes of debating, I simply walked up to an unoccupied part of the desk and started to set the letter (with "Attn: Paul Santley, CD" on the front) on the desk. One of the GSA's saw me, and took the letter with a questioning look. I blushed, and said, "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to leave this letter for the cruise director." The GSA looked at me like I had handed her a flaming bag of poo. She stared at the front of the letter and asked me again and again who it was for. I finally convinced her that it was just a letter for the CD, and that my intentions were very innocent.

Later, I figured out why the GSA was so confused. On my last cruise, and I guess on most of the bigger ships, the CD has a "morning show" on the TV, in which he reads letters and answers questions from guests. Well, an inspection of the Fun Times proved that the Inspiration has no such show! I was mortified.

Anyway, there were 3 kinds of sushi rolls tonight, one which had shrimp (Alex and I are both allergic to shellfish). The other was a spicy tuna, and the third a California roll, which I *thought* had crab stick, avocado, and cream cheese. I am soooo glad Alex asked if it was crab stick or real crab, because it turned out to be REAL crab! Yikes! (Nothing like getting a cruise cut short the first night by puffing up like a blowfish!) I snapped some more pictures of Alyssa, and of Alex pretending to eat the shrimp sushi roll:

sushi2.jpg

We strolled to dinner in the Mardi Gras dining room mid ship. Outside each dining room is a model of the Carnival ship it's named after (Mardi Gras and Carnivale.) Here's the Mardi Gras:

mardigras.jpg

Remember I said we were a party of 16? Well, I thought for sure we would be broken up into 2 tables of 8. But I was wrong... again. We were seated at one 10-top, and one 6-top. Alex, Alyssa, Joel, Mark and I were assigned to the 6-top. Everyone else, with the exception of Logan, Roy and Donna's son, were assigned to the 10-top. Crazy! They actually split up a family of 3, staying in one single cabin, across two tables! Donna was not happy about that, and I can't say I blame her. However, we worked it out so that she and Roy could dine with us and Logan at the 6-top that night, and Joel and Mark (who wound up never eating in the MDR) could sit at the 10-top.

Our wait team was head waiter, Nadel, and assistant waiter, Marichu. They were both outstanding and super nice! I really enjoyed chatting with them and getting to know them each night. Our maitre d' was Ramesh, and around 6:15, he announced that we were passing under the Skyline bridge and drew our attention to the windows. It was pretty cool.

The first night's menu is always my favorite, because I look forward to the fork tender baby back ribs. Mmmmmm! However, I discovered that the baby backs were replaced by spare ribs, so I was a little wary. No worries! They were absolutely delish! I let Roy try some, and he was hooked. He asked Nadel to promise him the ribs would be on the menu another night, but Nadel told him sorry, but the menu changes each night. Nadel offered to bring Roy an order of ribs, though, which Roy reluctantly turned down, since he wanted to save room for dessert. I think Alex and I were the only ones who didn't order the warm chocolate melting cake that night. I can't remember what I ordered, but Alex got the cheesecake, which he enjoyed so much he ordered a second piece! LOL! As a side note, I was surprised that there was no "showtime" in the MDR tonight. I could have sworn that we had one the first night on the Glory last year, but I could very well be wrong...yet again.

After dinner, Alex's toe was really starting to cause him pain from his gout attack, so I offered to take Alyssa to the Camp Carnival dance party in the Rock n' Roll lounge, while he went back to the cabin for some meds and some rest. Alyssa LOVES the Welcome Aboard dance party Camp Carnival hosts the first night. I took a couple pictures, then tried to accompany her on the dance floor, but Alyssa would have none of it. She did NOT want me dancing with her! :-( Instead, she preferred that I leave the dance floor so she could hook up with other kids and other families. Seriously! The girl actually imposed herself onto another mom and daughter who were dancing out there! Oh well! Guess I'll just take pictures of my little girl having fun with everyone else's families.

The party ended around 9:00, and Alyssa was wired. We went back to the cabin in search of Alex, but I guess his toe was feeling better, because he wasn't there. I got Alyssa ready for bed, then, in a sad attempt to win my daughter's love, I suggested we order room service and have a little picnic on the "big" bed. It worked. I ordered chocolate cake and chocolate milk (in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea before bed), then handed Alyssa a couple of bucks to give as a tip when room service arrived. Being across the hall from the crew access has its advantages, I guess, as room service was delivered in no time! Alyssa couldn't wait to tip our server, then share the chocolate cake, which was fabulous and came with a small scoop of rich chocolate mousse topped with thin dark chocolate squares. (By the way, there were no chocolates on our pillows this cruise.)

Alyssa insisted that I save the last bite of mousse for Alex. So I recovered the plate and brought Alyssa into the bathroom to brush her teeth. Alyssa was excited about her bunk bed, but I was a little nervous about the very small bed rail. I made Alyssa promise two things: first, that when she wanted to get into or out of the bed, she would wait for me or her daddy to help her, and secondly, that the small ladder was an "up" ladder only, and she wouldn't try to climb down it while we slept. Then I cleared the tray from room service and wedged it between the mattress and the metal edge of the bunk as a sort of "extension" to the bedrail. It worked out fine. The only little problem the bunk posed was that it extended over the walking area at the foot of the big bed, so whenever I got up, I would have to bend over and duck my head below the bunk to get to the other side of the cabin.

Oh yeah! One last thing - tonight's towel animal (part of the proof that we had a room steward) was a seal:

sealtowel.jpg

Here are some pictures I took around the ship the first day.

I will do my best to continue with Day 2 of this review tomorrow, after work. Please be patient, though, as I am composing and editing this as I go along while simultaneously sorting, labelling, uploading, and resizing the 500+ photos I took during the cruise.

The ship, as seen from the waiting area of the terminal:

terminalship.jpg

Main atrium:

atrium.jpg

Atrium stairs:

atriumstairs3.jpg

Funnel and slide:

slidefunnel2-1.jpg

Racing slides and Waterworks (I thought "WaterWORKS" was a misnomer, though, because the area was "closed for maintenance" the entire cruise.)

slideracers-1.jpg

Mardi Gras dining room:

mgdiningroom.jpg

Lido deck stage and steel drum "band":

stage.jpg

Shakespeare Library (I thought this was a beautiful space with a phenominal view! Too bad it wasn't used much.)

library.jpg

library3.jpg

library5.jpg

Chopin lounge (Cigar bar):

Chopinlounge.jpg

Standard "Carnival Inspiration" name photo:

inspirationname3.jpg

Alyssa's new "boyfriend," that she met at the Camp Carnival dance party:

DSC_0207.jpg

Hot tub. (This one was the only covered one.)

hottub2.jpg

View from one of the lounge seats on the promenade:

day1window3.jpg

Alyssa and her cousin in the MDR:

katiealyssadr.jpg

Say "Cheesecake!"

cheesecake.jpg

We sailed her in Oct '08 and noted the same exact things as well as the Lido deck restaurant would only have half of it's food service stations in use so there were very long lines for food. :cool:

Yikes! Fortunately, it seemed that all the stations were operational this cruise. Even so, there were some lines during the "peak" food hours. We never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes, though.

Please continue with your review we are going on the INspiration in June. thanks

I'm working on it. I hope your INspiration cruise in June is just as good.

(PS - I noticed the typo too, but by the time I did, it was too late to edit. Let's just chalk it up to a very late night after a very long drive. :o)

DH and I were on the Inspiration at Thanksgiving and sailing on her again in less than 4 weeks. We did not find the ship to be in need of TLC at all. We also sailed on the Glory several years ago and found that ship to have a very confusing layout, especially trying to get to the aft dining room. :)

Hope you have a great time on your upcoming cruise! The reason why I said the ship needed some TLC was because:

1. The waterworks area was not operational the entire [spring Break] cruise.

2. One of the glass elevators got stuck, trapping a few people in it for 30 minutes the first day. It remained non-operational the rest of the cruise.

3. There was graffiti plastered on the inside of the doors of one of the aft elevators.

4. Several of the mosaic floor tiles in the public areas where noticeably broken/missing.

5. The deck plans in the elevator bays still showed a children's pool where the Serenity area is.

I'm really not sure why I could navigate the Glory so much better than the Inspiration. I guess it's just a case of "Different strokes for different folks," or maybe I did more research last year. I don't know, but I was so much more "navigationally challenged" on the Inspiration. :p

Loved our cruise on the Inspiration last year, looking forward to our next one, had no trouble finding our way around, but thats all we sailed, Fantasy class, could find my away around blindfolded...LOL...looking forward to the rest of your review, thanks for sharing.

Aha! Well you might be onto something there...so far I've sailed the Fantasy class, Spirit class, and Conquest class, and will soon sail the new Dream class. Maybe consistency is the answer. ;)

I'm also willing to admit, though, that I could just be an odd-ball. Most people claim the Spirit class ships as their #1 favorite layout, but I thought it was just so-so. :o

Did you notice if Future Cruise Certificates were sold on your cruise??

Thanks

You know, I read on John Heald's blog that the Future Cruise desk would be available on the Inspiration by the time we sailed, but darned if I could find it! LOL! I thought for sure that I would come across it at some point or another, but maybe the desk hours didn't coincide with my comings and goings and I missed it.

My guess is that it was on the same deck as Guest Services/the main atrium (deck 7), but none of the deck plans were current enough to reflect its location, and the new "Fun Times" didn't advertise it at all.

You know, I read on John Heald's blog that the Future Cruise desk would be available on the Inspiration by the time we sailed, but darned if I could find it! LOL! I thought for sure that I would come across it at some point or another, but maybe the desk hours didn't coincide with my comings and goings and I missed it.

My guess is that it was on the same deck as Guest Services/the main atrium (deck 7), but none of the deck plans were current enough to reflect its location, and the new "Fun Times" didn't advertise it at all.

Laura you allways have the best reviews can't wait for the rest :)

Laura you allways have the best reviews can't wait for the rest :)

Aw, thanks Frank! Glad you're enjoying it! I admit I'm a nerd and keep a journal while I'm onboard so that I can remember all the details. :o

I sure hope the waterworks area is open when we cruise at the end of June. :confused: The kids will be sooo disappointed if it's not.

Great review so far... can't wait to hear the rest.:)

Thank you.

I hope the waterworks is open for you, too. I had read other reviews prior to our cruise of the waterworks always being closed, so it wasn't all that unexpected.

The kids will have fun anyway, though. Alyssa and some of her new friends spent much time playing in the water at the very end of one of the slides by scooping it out with with sand buckets and filling up her little dollar store squirt toys.

On with the show...

Archived