Review of Island Princess LA to Hawaii

bobbymcgee

I just returned from the Island Princess 12/20 to 1/4.

Embarkation was pretty routine. No major problems. Got to our room about 1 pm.

We had a mini suite Dolphin Deck. I loved our room and balcony. There was so much room. No need to bring extra hangers, extension cords or space bags. 2 tv's. Mini frig.

Since we traveled over the holidays I gave our room steward some extra $ on Christmas and New Years. Which I now regret. My mom was paying for this cruise and she was in a room next door to us. At the end of the trip we had all tips removed from my bill and placed on hers. My statement was laying out on the bed the morning we were leaving. We went to breakfast and came back to our room to find the steward already making up the room for the next cruise. He completley ignored us. My 10 year daughter tried to say goodbye and he turned his back on her. He obviously saw the Gratuity refund that was printed on our statment and must had assumed I had them removed, not realizintg my mom was paying for them. His attitude to us was so uncalled for. I tried to talk to him and he was throwing pillows down on the bed and acting rude. Thats what you get when you try to do something nice.

Anyway,back to the review.

The entertainment was great. The tribute show was awesome, the comics were great. Kevin Hughes show was so funny. I would recommend not bringing young children. The material was definitley adult. I was embarrased sitting next to small children when he was talking about sex.

The juggler-Knave of clubs was my favorite show.

We took part in many passenger game shows throughout our trip. They had passenger family feud, price is right , jeopardy ect.; But please don't act like some of the people on our ship. They played to win and challenged the rules and complained when they were losing that something wasn't fair, or someone was getting extra help. It was ridiculous! We were all just ther to have fun. I mean the prize was a luggage strap or a luggage tag. No reason to be so competitive and act like sore losers!

If you like laying in the sun by the pool you need to stake out your chairs early. If you just want the sun then there is so many places to sit all around the ship.

The ship was beautiful. The library was a nice touch and I used it frequently.

The internet cafe was busy and sometimes a long wait. Go early in the am or later in the evening.

Dining

We had personal choice and we never waited more than 10 minutes for a table. On Christmas and New Years we made reservation though. You can call at 8 am for reservations for that evening. I am not picky abput food, so I won't go into detail about food. I though it was great. many of my group ordered off the children's menu when we didn't find something we like on the regular menu. We ate great for all 15 days and I have an extra 15 lbs to prove it! My son and his girlfriend at at Sabatinis. They said it was ok but they wouldn't do it again. The selections were not mainstream. Fish Scales and other weird stuff. many other passengers ate there and loved it(They probably are more experinced diners).

The Horizon court tended to be chaotic between 12-1 pm . I started going later. The pizza and burgers from the grill by the lido pool were very good.

The weather was not suitable most days for swimming(to chilly) . Plenty of hot tubs though.

My son got hurt on the ship in one of the contests and the medical staff was excellent. The cruise director staff were very nice to him.

My 10 year old took part in the Kids program. It was ok but not as good as the Grand Princess. This program did way to many crafts and to much just free time with nothing for the kids to do but play vides or watch movies. Instead of organized activities. My daughter age 10 watched a PG 13 movie called Mean Girls with I did not think was appropriate.

If you've read any comments or reviews about this cruise you probably heard about the wild kids aboard that caused a lot of trouble. There were 325 kids aboard and some of them were unsupervised and caused havoc.

many people were livid and complained and filed lawsuits.

The parents did not watch these kids at all. 5 year olds climbing on barstools at midnight.

I didn't ruin my cruise, I realize that this can happen anywhere. But it certainly was the talk of the ship.

Hawaii

I wish I would of taken the advice of the posts I had read and rented a car in every port. We could of saved a lot of money on cabs.

When you go to beaches in Hawaii, you need to bring your own amenities. There aren't chairs or towels available, or drinks ect. The provide the beautiful scenary only.

My favorite stop was the IKO needle in maui. So beautiful. We did the Movie tour in Kaui which was pretty good. Not spectacular and pretty expensive. But we did get to see a lot.

My husband went to the Pearl harbor and the wait was greater than 2 hours.

Our luau was in Honolulu. Germaines. It was terrible! The chicken was actually bloody!! Not at all what I had expected and pretty far from our port.

Pick a different one.

The seas were very rough the first couple days. many people were ill. My mom was vomiting for more than 10 hours. We used relief bands and bonine which was not enough to help her. I knew she was prone to sea sickness so I got a prescription of Compazine from her MD and that is what helped her.

After a couple days the seas calmed down, but be prepared. I brought advil and had no idea my son whould dislocate his knee. We used that up and I had to start buying it in the gift shop at 1$ per pill!! Come prepared!

Believe it or not I enjoyed our sea days more than Hawaii. There wasn't enough time at each port to really see everything and we were rushed. I loved being on the ship!

It was a great vacation despite some setbacks(injury, crutches, sea sick, people complaing about kids). I want to do it again!

If you have any questions please email me mkb03@netzero.com

Thanks for the review... What size was your group? We have 8 right now and was wondering about personal choice and the wait time for larger groups. We will be sailing in October and can't wait. Our ages range from 35 to 60... I enjoyed reading your review.

we had six in our group. No problem with getting seated. 7 pm seems to be the most popular dinner time(shows start at 8 or 8:15). So we tended to avoid this by dining at 6:30(except on port days). They do not rush you during dinner. Most dinners took more than an hour so it worked out ok. The popular shows like tribute and comedians were packed so if you don't get there early you don't get a seat.

Bobby - Glad you were able to enjoy your cruise despite all the set backs.

Were there two different showings of the main evening's entertainment to allow both main and late dinner sittings to see the shows?

Did you notice if any of the car hire companies had a shuttle collection service at the Aloha Tower in Honolulu?

Bobby - Glad you were able to enjoy your cruise despite all the set backs.

Were there two different showings of the main evening's entertainment to allow both main and late dinner sittings to see the shows?

Did you notice if any of the car hire companies had a shuttle collection service at the Aloha Tower in Honolulu?

Aloha tower had shuttles for most car rental companys, but not all. Hilo had shuttles for most also. I was surprised by all the free shuttles offered by Walmart, Kmart, Hilo Haties, car rental co's, etc. at all the ports.

With all the negative regarding the past sailing, the Island Princess is a great ship and has some of the most personable young cruise directors around.

I looked thruough my Princess Patter's and it looks like every performance was done twice.

Honolulu was the only port that I would not have rented a car, so I didn't notice if their was rentals or shuttles. We took a cab to Waikaki Beach, walked along the shops(Pouring rain all day). 15$ cab ride.

Bobby--

Thanks for the review!! Since you were in a mini on the Dolphin on the Island Princess, what can you tell be about these. We will be in D525. Size of balcony? Dining table on balcony? How many chairs? Did the fact that the balcony was not covered bother you?

I haven't gotten a reply from anyone who could tell me the pros and cons of the mini's on the Dolphin deck. We had a guarantee reservation and this is where we have been assigned. Really, really wanted an upgrade, but doesn't look like we will get one, since we leave on January 19.

Thanks for any ideas that you share..........

Much thanks for your review. We're going on the Island exactly a year after you so I was curious about the weather and ocean conditions going and coming. I read the comments from other threads about this same cruise and someone mentioned the priest that left before conducting Christmas mass and the pingpong table being thrown overboard but didn't say when that happened and whether the crew was able to determine who did it.

My daughter will be 8 for that cruise and she can't wait as she loves the kids' program. She does like to climb barstools, but rest assured if she did so next to you, she would be chatting you up. She even crashed a lounge on a Carnival ship when she was 3 and started singing along with the pianist and the several women there. One day when she learns about people with different preferences (read betw. the lines), I'll tell her about why these women were singing songs like "My Girl."

I was genuinely touched by the outcome of the tipping situation. The cabin steward probably THOUGHT that not only he did not get any auto tip, but according to the rules would also have to turn over the holiday tips and get demerits for poor service because the auto tip was removed. My heart went out to the daughter who will find it so hard to understand how the Steward could be so pleasant and then turn rude. To readers, let us all also remember that the level of education and comprehension of the staff is not the same as ours. When the steward did find out that the auto tip was in fact given, I am sure he will have agonized over his attitude for a long time. And all because of mix up in communication. I hope we don't turn this thread into one of tipping and certainly my intention is not to offend anyone. /Sultan

Bobby--

Thanks for the review!! Since you were in a mini on the Dolphin on the Island Princess, what can you tell be about these. We will be in D525. Size of balcony? Dining table on balcony? How many chairs? Did the fact that the balcony was not covered bother you?

I haven't gotten a reply from anyone who could tell me the pros and cons of the mini's on the Dolphin deck. We had a guarantee reservation and this is where we have been assigned. Really, really wanted an upgrade, but doesn't look like we will get one, since we leave on January 19.

Thanks for any ideas that you share..........

Hi Joyce,

We were on this cruise and in D318 (Dolphin) and the minisuite was great! The balcony was larger than I expected with a table and 2 chairs. I liked the balcony being uncovered and enjoyed the sunny days en route (close to Hawaii). The bathroom includes a tub, and I'll tell you the best advice I received - Get a plastic shoe bag that hangs on the door to put all your "toiletries" in so you don't have to clutter up the counters or keep them in your bag. It worked so well! We got a clear one with "pockets". One thing that was kind of annoying: Our room steward pretty much ignored us when he realized he wasn't getting an extra tip-by the last day. The dining service was great, so we gave extra tips there, but the room steward didn't really do anything above and beyond, and felt the assigned tip was appropriate. Oh well. Beautiful ship, beautiful ports of call, unfortunately wild children that created havoc, but hopefully you won't have that same problem-Have a great trip!

Joyce-

Our balcony was covered. 2 chairs, round table. The weather was not that great . The first couple days the seas were rough. Afyter that we had a couple of nice sea days 70-75 degrees. In Hawaii the weather was fine exceptin Honolulu when it poured to entire day!

On the way home though we did not have any days over 65 degrees. I could actually see my breath one day.

I certainly didn't pack appropriatley. I should of packed more pants, long sleeve shirts. I had to many shorts.

We adjusted to the weather by taking part in the many activities offered indoors. We came back without a tan, but great memories of fun and games.

regarding the post asking about the kids programs, again I felt the grand had more activities. The island had to much free time.

Hannah and I would read the itinerary and pick and choose when she would go. When they had a game or a scheduled activity she went, when it was Video time she participated in the activities we were doing.

Regarding the thread about the steward- I understood that he probably thought he was getting stiffed for the tip, but I did expect a commment like "Could I ask why you did not feel your service was satisfactory?" In which I could of explained that next dorr my mom payed double.

I didin't expect his reponse and only assume it was becuuse he saw the statment, maybe he didn't. maybe he was just glad to get rid of us and this is how he always is on the last day. I have no idea. I'm sure these people have to deal with a lot. I tried very hard not to act like a queen and they are my servants as I seen and heard may passengers do. I try to ask for very liitle. I keep my room neat and am respectful. I was sad to see all these staff people spending holidays

without their families and tried to be sensitive to that. I'm sure it wasn't all holiday cheer for them.

Anyway, I just felt bad that after 15 days together it ended on a sour note.

Thanks for the review and comments. A few questions -

We will be a party of nine (9) on the Mar. 20 cruise. Are there tables in the dinning room that would seat 9?

Any advice on shore trips? Are there any private tour companies that could take our group on the various islands? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Lefty Bob

Bob-

I didn't see any tables that would accomodate 9. I think 6 was the largest.

The Hawaii forum will help you with shore excursions. I got a lot of infor from them.

Hilo we rented a car. We drove to Volcano's national park.

Kona we wanted a beach day. Should have rented a car. We took a cab 65$ one way to Hapuna beach. Sandy beach. Beautiful.

Honolulu- My husband di the pearl harbor tour. 2 hour wait in the pouring rain.

We took a cab 15$ to the shopping strip by Waikakii beach.

This was our longest port day so we did the Luau her. Germaines. Very long drive from the port(they pick you up and drop you off). But It wasn't that great. Bloody chicken. I would find another one.

Lahina- Did the whale watching tour. We seen more whales off our balcony from the ship than we did on the tour. After that we went to the information area and rented a limo. 15$ per person per hour. He drove us all over.

But everyone was raving about the Hana Highway and helicopter tours there. I'm afraid of heights, but it sounded awesome.

Kaui- We did the movie tour. They took us to where a lot of movies were filmed.They showed you the movie clips while you were riding. It was nice, but expensive.

I should of spent more time researching tours. It was hard becuase I had no idea how far the port was from anything. In hindsight, I wish I would of rented a car in every port but Honolulu.

Back to BobbyMcgee's reply...

The first 2 days were pretty rough, and it wasn't very warm, but I felt there was plenty to do! We were regulars at trivia, enjoyed some of the teas, went to a wine tasting, read in the library, and of course ate!!!

I did come back with a tan, and was able to enjoy the quiet back of the ship the last 2 days before arriving in Hawaii as well as the first 2 days heading home from the islands. It did pour all day in Honolulu :o( as well as pretty yucky weather during our short Ensenada stop.

As far as tables for 9...

Our first night was (unfortunately) next to the havoc-making family and they had a couple of 10+ tables. In general, however, there weren't any throughout the dining room. It looks like they can make an exception, though. Have a great time!

Hope this helps....

Coral Princess and Island Princess are identical twins.

can help you by listing wich balconies on Coral Princess are fully covered or not...

A209-310; A416-504; A624-722 uncovered

A311-425 and A506-623 covered

B205-217; B701-737 uncovered

B218-309; B416-633 partially covered

B311- 427; B622-645 covered

C205-231; C705-726 covered

C232-703 partially covered

C727-728 uncovered

D206-309; D418-502; D624-724 covered

D311-417; D503-623; D725-726 uncovered

E207-310; 624-737 covered

Thanks for the review and comments. A few questions -

We will be a party of nine (9) on the Mar. 20 cruise. Are there tables in the dinning room that would seat 9?

Any advice on shore trips? Are there any private tour companies that could take our group on the various islands? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Lefty Bob

Hi Bob, We were at a table for eight at early sitting which was set up for nine at the late sitting. I hope that this helps, Podge

Archived