Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old May 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mini suites on Dolphin deck vs AD suites on Emerald Deck

I'm new to this board this week. Glad I found out about it, as I've already learned a lot from you wonderful people.

We are planning on booking a mini suite for the 10 day MR cruise on the Sapphire next January. We are bringing our son, who will be on winter break from college, so want the extra space. We have had mini suites on the Dolphin deck in the past, but because of the price are considering the AD mini suites on the Emerald deck. Any comments good or bad about these AD suites (like do they get noise from Club Fusion above) vs the others would be appreciated. We will probably book Guarantee, so an upgrade may or may not happen. But that doesn't matter. Thanks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Advantages!!!

There are pros and cons to the Emerald aft minis, yet there are many who swear by them.

If you're looking for lots of sun on the balcony, the aft minis are completely covered and cut out from the hull. Advantage is that evebn in a tropical Caribbean shower you can be out on the balcony and stay dry or protect yourself from the sun if sun sensitive.

We had friends on Star last Nov crossing the Pacific who book the aft minis on Emerald for this very reason..price and protection. The remainder of the minis on Dolphin of course are all uncovered and completely open to the gods and passengers above.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!
Oriana (P & O) 1973 - San Francisco to Auckland
Atlas (Epirotiki) 1987 - Eastern Mediterranean
Viking Serenade (RCCL) 1998 - Los Angeles to Baja rtn
Paradise (Carnival) 2003 - Miami Southern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas (RCCL) 2004 - Miami Western Caribbean
Coral Princess (Princess) 2006 - FLL to YVR
Golden Princess(Princess) 2008 - LAX to YVR
Star Princess (Princess) 2009 - SYD to LAX

Diamond Princess (Princess) 2010 - WTT/YVR

Crown Princess (Princess)
2011 - British Isles
SOU/SOU

Star Princess (Princess)
Mar 2013 - SCL (Valparaiso)/LAX

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:34 PM
40,000+ Club

Default Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats cut out from the hull???

Who said anything about AFT??
PRE CRUISE WITH FAMILY IN MILAN!

Princess Elite Member
52 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Last edited by Colo Cruiser; May 14th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:37 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehb View Post
I'm new to this board this week. Glad I found out about it, as I've already learned a lot from you wonderful people.

We are planning on booking a mini suite for the 10 day MR cruise on the Sapphire next January. We are bringing our son, who will be on winter break from college, so want the extra space. We have had mini suites on the Dolphin deck in the past, but because of the price are considering the AD mini suites on the Emerald deck. Any comments good or bad about these AD suites (like do they get noise from Club Fusion above) vs the others would be appreciated. We will probably book Guarantee, so an upgrade may or may not happen. But that doesn't matter. Thanks.

Emerald deck AD minis are the best. There are only 12 and they sellout fast. They are covered/private/quiet.

Dolphin deck minis are completely uncovered.

Both are the same layout wise.
PRE CRUISE WITH FAMILY IN MILAN!

Princess Elite Member
52 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Last edited by Colo Cruiser; May 14th, 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM
5,000+ Club

We have had both Dolphin and Emerald Minis and prefer the Emerald Deck. We tend to use our balcony more. We also have never had any noise from Club Fusion below. With that said, if an AD was not available, we would book on the Dolphin Deck.
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Crown Princess 4/10
Crown Princess 2/11
Emerald 9/11
Caribbean Princess 11/12
Crown Princess 4/13

Next up:
Ruby 4/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Regal Princess11/14

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

AD Minis on the Starboard side win hands down. I love the privacy of a fully covered balcony. You can beat the loaction either, and the Sapphire is our favorite ship, you'll love her. We were able to book E731 for our upcoming Hawaii cruise on the Sapphire, just can't wait!
There's a little bit of bass that comes through on the Port side, but it was never a big deal and usually ended by 10pm, and you couldn't actually hear the music unless you were in the bathroom, so no biggie.

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
20,000+ Club

Default Emerald Mini's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Cruiser View Post
Emerald deck AD minis are the best. There are only 12 and they sellout fast. They are covered/private/quiet.

Dolphin deck minis are completely uncovered.

Both are the same layout wise.
I agree. they are the best. We stayed in one on the Diamond and loved it. Couldn't pass up the killer deal we got on an AC mini, sio I had to give up the AD reservation.....

Bob
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 -14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 -14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

187 Days At Sea: 112 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25882507@N08/

Woobstr112G@roadrunner.com
Woobstr112G@gmail.com (AOL Users)

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don"t ever book the dolphin deck on the star,ruby or the crown mini's because they are not covered.Any one above you with a balcony can look right down on your deck.
long cruiser

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Thanks, everyone. That helps a lot. I think we will try for the Emerald mini suites this time. Rain is not usually an issue for the Mexican Riviera, but it would be nice to have more privacy. Our last trip on the Sapphire, we were in an AA mini suite (upgraded), and the balcony is quite open to everyone and everything (and it did rain when we left LA). Thanks, again.

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehb View Post
IMHO, there are no "cons" to Emerald deck mini-suites. They are covered and thus protected from the sun, wind, and rain as well as private. They are also VERY quiet. You won't hear anything from Club Fusion unless possibly if you are in or near E728, which is directly above the bandstand and amplifiers. A few people have reported noise in this cabin; most have not. I've been in E725 several times and have never heard anything from below. I no longer book or want a mini-suite on Dolphin deck now that I've experienced the ADs on Emerald.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:52 PM
40,000+ Club

Although we prefer a semi covered balcony, to us there is only one 'con' to the AD mini suites. Since the balcony is totally covered, we have found it makes the interior of the room a lot darker than those that are uncovered. But a small price to pay for being protected from the elements.

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Emerald minis are very nice. Because of their location you do not get much traffic in the halls so they are quiet. The covered balcony is very private.

Old May 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

The only other potential con to the Emerald minis is that they are so far aft that they are a long walk from many ship venues, especially those near the bow--I wouldn't suggest them for anyone with mobility issues.

Les

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default am i missing something

we went for the ad mini on coral--gty--only one we could afford--going to alaska in 28 days!!! but my question is, since we may end up with a dolphin, uncovered, and i know by booking gty i have to be happy with anything, i decided that so what if people can look at me on the balcony--i don't really understand the concern about this--of course, if i were on my honeymoon--it might be different, but this is a retirement cruise for us, so unless one of us 60 year olds starts acting differently than normal --we shouldn't mnd the uncovered balcony--but now i am wondering if i am overlooking something--i am just so happy to have the larger room and the balcony and the bathtub--yes!!! the bathtub--i am so excited--and to be able to glance out at the sea and mountains, etc at any momment (we moved up from an inside,gty, so this has been a real bonus for us)t was a real struggle for me to decide to change from inside to mini, as i hated to spend the money--but my 80 year old sister went to alaska a cople years ago, and she said she loved her balcony and i deserved it--so am i ok not to worry that the balcony will be uncovered? i am from chicago and used to the elements--what do you think?? thaks, grams98

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by long cruiser View Post
Don"t ever book the dolphin deck on the star,ruby or the crown mini's because they are not covered.Any one above you with a balcony can look right down on your deck.
long cruiser

So What! We have been on the Dolphin Deck and no one really is looking at you. We had fun talking with some of the oeple above us.

Hugh and Christine

'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'

Past Cruises:

2 weeks Land/Sea Alaska Diamond Princess 9/3/2013
10 day S. Carib. Emerald Princess 2/15/13
5 day NE/Canada QM2July1, 2012
10 Day Panama Canal Island Princess 3/18/2012
West Coast Sapphire Sept.24, 2011
NE/Canada Caribbean Princess 10/16/2010
Eastern Caribbean Ruby Princess 2-13-2011
Western Caribbean Crown Princess 2-13-10
Alaska Golden Princess 6-2009

Old May 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are booked on the Dolphin Deck. We didn't realize until after we booked that the balconies are completely uncovered. I have to admit that at first I did have a concern. Mostly because I'm really sensitive to the sun. Also, it brought to light that anyone above us would be looking down on this deck. Well, the more I thought about it, the more I'm glad we chose the Dolphin Deck. First of all, the sun isn't going to be shining down on you all day long. Even if it's a sunny day, it will only shine on that side of the ship for a period of time. So, we will just choose the best time of day to be out on the balcony. No big deal. Matter of fact, I think it's gonna be great to be able to see straight up into the stars at night. I kinda like the thought of being able to look all around and it not be blocked in any way. Also, I'm not planning on doing anything on the deck that I would be embarassed for anyone to see, so that really isn't a concern. So, yeah, I'm really looking forward to the uncovered balcony....

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad to see others finally commenting on the "so what" factor of the dolphin balcony being visible. Anyone could look at me enjoying the sunshine if I was up on the Sun deck, so why does it matter if people see me sitting on a balcony. Enjoy your trips and the luxury of having a door to open to the outside from your cabin!

CantWaitToCrz
NCL Breakaway 3/2/2014
NCL Dawn 2/20/2011
Caribbean Princess 7/2/2010
NCL Jewel 2009
NCL Dawn 2007
NCL Seaward 1997
NCL Seaward 1995

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

that's right--the stars--so now I really am ok with whtever mini we get-and i just read some nice things about the ad on another post--so it really doesn't matter--never had a mii before, always inside or ov or obov and one balcony-ca't wait-thanks, grams98

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
20,000+ Club

Default Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by grams98 View Post
we went for the ad mini on coral--gty--only one we could afford--going to alaska in 28 days!!! but my question is, since we may end up with a dolphin, uncovered, and i know by booking gty i have to be happy with anything, i decided that so what if people can look at me on the balcony--i don't really understand the concern about this--of course, if i were on my honeymoon--it might be different, but this is a retirement cruise for us, so unless one of us 60 year olds starts acting differently than normal --we shouldn't mnd the uncovered balcony--but now i am wondering if i am overlooking something--i am just so happy to have the larger room and the balcony and the bathtub--yes!!! the bathtub--i am so excited--and to be able to glance out at the sea and mountains, etc at any momment (we moved up from an inside,gty, so this has been a real bonus for us)t was a real struggle for me to decide to change from inside to mini, as i hated to spend the money--but my 80 year old sister went to alaska a cople years ago, and she said she loved her balcony and i deserved it--so am i ok not to worry that the balcony will be uncovered? i am from chicago and used to the elements--what do you think?? thaks, grams98
I'd take anything. I had to give up our AD mini for next year for an AC because of the killer deal I got. Since overtime was cut at work, I gotta pinch pennies.....

Bob
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 -14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 -14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

187 Days At Sea: 112 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25882507@N08/

Woobstr112G@roadrunner.com
Woobstr112G@gmail.com (AOL Users)

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

that's interesting--on our cruise, the ad's were cheaper than the ac's--i will never understand this princess pricing--grams98