Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old May 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Will Carnival's banned items be banned from Princess?

I was just reading on Cruise Critic (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3869) that Carnival has a list of banned items that is highly restrictive (the Carnival boards are freaking out over it). I've never cruised Carnival (and never will) but I do cruise Princess and since they are owned by Carnival, I'm leery of those rules applying on Princess as well.

As for electronic items, you can pry my iPhone and iPad out of my cold dead hands, but the one that really irks me is the musical instrument rule. I always travel with an instrument (particularly the three times I did the LA-Hawaii route on Golden) and I'm going to be lost without one.

Anyone hear rumblings of these requirements being used on Princess now too?

They are:
RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.
Confiscated Items
• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles
• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans
• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)
• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)
• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)
• Candles
• Heating Pads
• Incense
Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding
• Large coolers
• Alcohol in unsealed containers
• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)
• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)
• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)
• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)
• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)
• Taser or electronic stun guns
• Pepper or mace sprays
• Telescopic or regular batons
• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)
• Handcuffs, brass knuckles
• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders
• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)
• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings
• Household goods or tools of trade
• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid
• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)
• Metal detectors
• Medical Marijuana
• Bicycles
• Surfboards
• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)
• Boats/canoes
• Segways
• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes
Miscellaneous Concerns:
• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.
• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.
• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.
• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.
• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.
• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.
• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.
• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.
• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.
• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.
• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.
• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.
• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.
• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates.
50 done, 1 coming: 12/14 Grand Princess - Hawaii, 1/14 Star Princess - Hawaii, 10/13 Sapphire Princess B2B Coastal (10/5 and 10/12), 1/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 12/12 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 9/12 POA - Hawaii, 2/12 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 1/12 Diamond Princess - Australia and NZ, 11/11 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 9/11 POA - Hawaii, 03/11 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 02/11 POA - Hawaii,12/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 05/10 Sapphire Princess - Coastal, 10/09 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 09/09 Caribbean Princess - CA/NE, 08/09 Star Princess - Alaska, 11/08 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 10/08 Emerald Princess - Transatlantic, 7/08 RCCL Monarch - Mexico, 3/08 Caribbean Princess - Caribbean, 11/07 Diamond Princess Hawaii, 08/07 Dawn Princess Alaska, 2/07 Dawn Princess Mexico, 11/06 Sapphire Princess Asia, 9/06 Grand Princess Mediterranean, 9/99 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 9/98 Grand Princess Transatlantic, 5/97 NCL SS Norway Caribbean. 8/96 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean, 3/96 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 4/95 HAL Ryndam Caribbean, 3/94 Fair Princess Mexico, 8/93 RCCL Sovereign Caribbean, 5/93 Fair Princess Hawaii, 3/93 NCL Southward Mexico, 7/92 Crown Princess Caribbean, 3/92 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 4/91 Dawn Princess Mexico, 7/90 Sky Princess Caribbean, 8/89 American Hawaii Constitution Hawaii, 6/88 Admiral Azure Seas Mexico, 3/88 Admiral Stardancer Mexico, 7/87 NCL Norway Caribbean, 4/87 Admiral Azure Seas Mexico, 8/86 RCCL Song of America Caribbean, 7/85 American Hawaii Independence Hawaii, 8/84 Sitmar Fairsea Mexico, 7/83 NCL Norway Caribbean, 7/82 Sitmar Fairwind Caribbean

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
10,000+ Club

No rumblings of any changes at Princess; the cooler thing was a big addition to Carnival's policy last year, Princess never adopted it. I don't see any reason to suspect they would copy them now, either.
Next booking still pending :-( Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old May 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Be interested in knowing also. We cruise in November and was planning on bringing a small desk fan for those "womanly moments".

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Frankly, while the list appears to be long, it doesn't seem any more restrictive than normal. I don't have an issue with anything on the list.
Star Princess 7/2004 Mediteranean
Star Princess 7/2005 Scandanavia/Russia
Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexican Riviera
Sun Princess 9/2006 Alaska
Diamond Princess 4/2007 Mexican Riviera
Island Princess 4/2008 Panama Canal
Noordam 4/2009 Transatlantic/Mediteranean
Westerdam 1/2010 Caribbean
Grand Princess 9/2010 Iceland/Transatlantic
Ruby Princess 9/2011 Mediteranean/Greek Isles
River Beatrice 11/2011 Danube River
Eurodam 10/2012 Canada/New England
Emerald Princess 4/2013 Transatlantic/Europe

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

This was presented yesterday on another post

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
10,000+ Club

I remember seeing something last year about Carnival not allowing musical instruments. On our Hawaiian RT in 2005, we brought a guitar and an ukelele. Hubby played quietly in our cabin (his singing is even more softer), and found a spot by Sabinitinis where the PA music wasn't that loud. He not only played there on most sea days, but he was joined by other guitarists for a jam session. BTW, he not only plays (in some coffeehouses), but he has taught guitar.

Other than an electric razor (hubby's), digital camera chargers, my cell phone charger (I don't use the phone on the ship), we don't bother bringing anything electronic.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
30,000+ Club

No.

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old May 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger Blue View Post
Frankly, while the list appears to be long, it doesn't seem any more restrictive than normal. I don't have an issue with anything on the list.
Fortunate for you, but for me, I play the ukulele daily. And the idea of 14 days away is enough to make me reconsider the cruise. But I'm glad you don't have an issue with anything on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBMJ View Post
This was presented yesterday on another post
Sorry for the repost then...I didn't see it in the first couple pages of Princess threads. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Chick View Post
I remember seeing something last year about Carnival not allowing musical instruments. On our Hawaiian RT in 2005, we brought a guitar and an ukelele.
I'm like you and your husband, my ukulele goes with me on all my travels. I would really miss it if it were not permitted. And like your hubby, I always play in out of the way spots (usually in an empty Wheelhouse Bar).

Sorry for the reposts everyone...
50 done, 1 coming: 12/14 Grand Princess - Hawaii, 1/14 Star Princess - Hawaii, 10/13 Sapphire Princess B2B Coastal (10/5 and 10/12), 1/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 12/12 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 9/12 POA - Hawaii, 2/12 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 1/12 Diamond Princess - Australia and NZ, 11/11 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 9/11 POA - Hawaii, 03/11 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 02/11 POA - Hawaii,12/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 05/10 Sapphire Princess - Coastal, 10/09 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 09/09 Caribbean Princess - CA/NE, 08/09 Star Princess - Alaska, 11/08 Golden Princess - Hawaii, 10/08 Emerald Princess - Transatlantic, 7/08 RCCL Monarch - Mexico, 3/08 Caribbean Princess - Caribbean, 11/07 Diamond Princess Hawaii, 08/07 Dawn Princess Alaska, 2/07 Dawn Princess Mexico, 11/06 Sapphire Princess Asia, 9/06 Grand Princess Mediterranean, 9/99 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 9/98 Grand Princess Transatlantic, 5/97 NCL SS Norway Caribbean. 8/96 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean, 3/96 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 4/95 HAL Ryndam Caribbean, 3/94 Fair Princess Mexico, 8/93 RCCL Sovereign Caribbean, 5/93 Fair Princess Hawaii, 3/93 NCL Southward Mexico, 7/92 Crown Princess Caribbean, 3/92 RCCL Viking Serenade Mexico, 4/91 Dawn Princess Mexico, 7/90 Sky Princess Caribbean, 8/89 American Hawaii Constitution Hawaii, 6/88 Admiral Azure Seas Mexico, 3/88 Admiral Stardancer Mexico, 7/87 NCL Norway Caribbean, 4/87 Admiral Azure Seas Mexico, 8/86 RCCL Song of America Caribbean, 7/85 American Hawaii Independence Hawaii, 8/84 Sitmar Fairsea Mexico, 7/83 NCL Norway Caribbean, 7/82 Sitmar Fairwind Caribbean

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always heard don't bother trouble till trouble bothers you.
It's a shame that Carnival feels the need to lay down such explicit rules, but it looks like
most of them are because people have abused the rules the way they were.
Plugging multiple electronic devices into the same circuit is a fire hazard.
Playing music of any kind can be obtrusive to other people and detrimental to their
enjoyment of the cruise. I enjoy music, but sometimes it interferes with conversation
or relaxation.
So far as bringing a musical instrument on board, I would like a cruise line would allow
it if the request is made up front, and the musician is willing to play for guests at the
cruise lines behest.

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Sour Notes

The problem with bringing musical instruments onboard is twofold: first of all, no place onboard is as deserted as you think it is. That quiet lounge that you think is a perfect spot to play also attracts people who would prefer to use it for quiet activities, like reading. Second, not everyone who plays for fun is as good as they think they are. The only thing worse than having to listen to unwanted music is having to listen to badly-played unwanted music.

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsqrl View Post
The problem with bringing musical instruments onboard is twofold: first of all, no place onboard is as deserted as you think it is. That quiet lounge that you think is a perfect spot to play also attracts people who would prefer to use it for quiet activities, like reading. Second, not everyone who plays for fun is as good as they think they are. The only thing worse than having to listen to unwanted music is having to listen to badly-played unwanted music.
First of all, I agree not everyone is a good player or playing what others like. That is why I specifically only play in two places: my cabin and deserted lounges. I never do so on my balcony or in any room with anyone else present. I also always do so at a very quiet volume.

When others enter the lounge, I leave it. I don't even open my balcony door when I play in my cabin. So unless I'm playing the drums, or an amplified electric guitar (neither of which is the case) what is it to you (or anyone else) what I do in the privacy of my own cabin or in a lounge that has only me inside of it?

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
10,000+ Club

That's why my hubby looked around before deciding to play where he did, in a place where most people just walk by and not sit and read (even though when I was keeping him company, I did bring a book or puzzle book...but I do that when he's playing at a coffee house if I come along). It was funny when someone on our roll call told me she spotted hubby playing and dropped a dollar in his guitar case. I did see plenty of people taking a seat and listening or stopping long enough to give a thumbs up when he finished a song.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM
5,000+ Club

I think it is a very reasonable list....including the alcohol.
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean & Adriatic (2012)
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean Collection (2012)
Island Princess, Pacific Coastal (2012)
Sapphire Princess, LA / Hawaii / Samoa / Tahiti / LA (2011)
Golden Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2011)
Crown Princess, Greek Isles / Med + Italy (2010)
Sapphire Princess, Mexico (LA) (2010)
Royal Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2009)
Sapphire Princess, Australia / NZ + Fiji (2007)
Golden Princess, British Isles + Scotland (2006)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (SF) (2006)
Grand Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Cook Island (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Marquesas Island (2005)
Zenith, Western Caribbean (2004)
Ryndam, Mexico, (2003)
Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean (2003)
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean (2003)
Dawn Princess, San Diego to Hawaii (2003)
Dawn Princess, Tahiti to Hawaii (2002)
Dawn Princess, Hawaii to Tahiti (2002)
Royal Princess, Panama Canal (2002)
Ocean Princess, Southern Caribbean (2001)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (1991)
Golden Odyssey, Black Sea / Med (1990)
Dawn Princess, Mediterranean (1989)
Fair Sky, Alaska (1984)
Fair Sea, Panama Canal (1983)

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Some people see that the hair curler is on the list and panic. Others like me read the words "with proper caution".

So one item at a time (or two if low wattage, like a camera battery charger) exercises proper caution. This list looks great for this reason.

As a church musician (acoustic guitar) I cruise to have a vacation from playing, although I have had occasion to wish for my instrument to be able to support services onboard. My brother, a professional alto sax player, always brings his axe and plays with the band in one of the lounges for fun (on RC).

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimea'sMom View Post
So unless I'm playing the drums, or an amplified electric guitar (neither of which is the case) what is it to you (or anyone else) what I do in the privacy of my own cabin or in a lounge that has only me inside of it?
Sorry, I wanted to edit this post after I wrote it but the edit option was not available any longer. I don't mean to be so rude, but it really does bother me when I make so many efforts and go out of my way to be considerate of others when I play my instrument.

I guess I just subscribe to the theory that it is more equitable to make efforts to be considerate when playing, and to let the cruise line ask you to stop when you are not, then to ban the item entirely for everyone.

Sorry I was curt...

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times Prince View Post
Some people see that the hair curler is on the list and panic. Others like me read the words "with proper caution".

So one item at a time (or two if low wattage, like a camera battery charger) exercises proper caution. This list looks great for this reason.

As a church musician (acoustic guitar) I cruise to have a vacation from playing, although I have had occasion to wish for my instrument to be able to support services onboard. My brother, a professional alto sax player, always brings his axe and plays with the band in one of the lounges for fun (on RC).
Should I ask how one plays an axe?

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:32 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan View Post
Playing music of any kind can be obtrusive to other people and detrimental to their enjoyment of the cruise.

Also obtrusive and detrimental to the enjoyment of the cruise are loud announcements about bingo, art auctions, and spa specials.

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp637 View Post
Should I ask how one plays an axe?
I could say he really swings , but he's a jazz musician.

Axe = musician speak for any instrument.

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Rules are set down for the "general" public.....because generally speaking if they were not......there would be mayhem!

I bring a small electric fan and an extension cord....can not sleep without the "white noise" and, will not travel without one.

On our last cruise, a few months ago, the steward mentioned that it was perfectly fine to have the fan, as long as I was not overloading any one circuit.

I packed it in my bag that I brought onboard with us.

I like "rules"....I also like to be conscientous of noise or mess that I make that would impede on others good times and hope that they feel the same about my good time!

Cruising is different than most travel in that it's very difficult to avoid being with the general public and seeing them over and over again within the time that your spending together.

The folks that you're cruising with can make a huge difference in your cruise experience.

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I guess that rules out bringing handcuffs to play with too!I thought u were allowed to have fun?

1990 Carnival Tropical -Carribbean.7 Sea Days
2003 Nile River Cruise....10days
2007 Royal Carribbean-Mediterranean.14 Sea Days
[color=#000080]
1990 to 2013...16 Princess Cruises

Elite Cruiser since 2010.