Hepetitis A vaccination if visiting Dominican Republic?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:19 PM.
250 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I don't know the reason your doctor recommeded the Hep A shot, but I would speculate it's because of one of two reasons. First, Dominican Republic sustained damage and flooding when they got hit with the hurricane. Could be concerns about contaminated water. Second, your doctor could be a proactive practitioner. It's really silly that we all don't have Hep A vaccines. This type of Hep can be (and is) easily passed in restaurants/cafeterias/etc right here in our own country. And it's easily prevented. I am immunized against Hep B, because I am a nurse. I plan on asking my doctor about getting the A vaccine as well. I would be very pissed at myself if my liver got fried, because I got exposed but never got immunized.