New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

As a frequent solo cruiser I think this SUCKS!!! I try to economize where possible and getting a good price on a 1A allows me to cruise solo without breaking the bank (and paying for someone who isn't there!). I guess Carnival is losin some revenue (as there is only one person in the cabin) so they have changed their pricing on these cabins. I know that not all of these cabins are conducive for 'couples' so they are not that popular. Wonder if they will still be as popular?:confused:

Any others out there who think this is a bad idea on Carnival's part? (I am considering writing them to voice my complaints but sounds like a done deal!):(

no way!!! for real?? thats awful. totally suks.

btw they used to subtract out the port charges (about $50ish per port), also called noncommionable fare, and then charge 150% of the fare, then the summer before last they upped it to charge 150% of the fare and because people dont seem to get the fares contain a 2nd person's port charges, think its not bad when it was changed.

Hardly a whimper on her, but made a huge difference on a 7 day with 3 or 4 ports.

I think this is obviously meant to discourage solo cruisers? My friend *who has luckily already booked a special 1A cabin for future cruise) just got a call from our PVP - next cruise is 'ssafe - but this will definitely affect future cruise plans if Carnival is no longer 'value for money' I guess we can see what pricing is offered by other cruiseliens? Carnival was always a good value for solos -but not anymore! :(

If this is indeed true, it eliminates any reason to put Carnival as my 1st choice for cruising. I've always gone to Carnival first to find the most competitive military rates and the most competitive solo rates.

This has been the basis for my loyalty thus far...hopefully Carnival corporate realizes what a mistake they are making...maybe time to try out the other lines...I've got stock in several...just haven't been tempted to book because the best solo rates have always been with Carnival.

Feeling a little bit like Julia Robert's character in Pretty Woman..."Big Mistake Carnival, Big Mistake".

If this is indeed true, it eliminates any reason to put Carnival as my 1st choice for cruising. I've always gone to Carnival first to find the most competitive military rates and the most competitive solo rates.

This has been the basis for my loyalty thus far...hopefully Carnival corporate realizes what a mistake they are making...maybe time to try out the other lines...I've got stock in several...just haven't been tempted to book because the best solo rates have always been with Carnival.

Feeling a little bit like Julia Child's character in Pretty Woman..."Big Mistake Carnival, Big Mistake".

I believe you mean Julia Roberts in Pretty woman, Julia childs was a chef on TV

Sorry for the typos, I was on hold with a TA (le grrr), but what I was trying to say is the effective price for solo's jumped the summer before last when they quit subtracting out the noncommionable part of the fare and then applying the 150%.

Hardly a whimper on CC over it ... no one complained, as few understood they were being charged half of a 2nd person's port charges more than before. (port charges are part of the cruisefare). ..

If they could change it by that much (half of up to $160 on a 7 day on average) and no one complained before, Im sure they think no one cares this time either. I was surprised that no one cared before. I had a friend who booked with us before and after the last change, and it made a significant difference to her booking on a cheap sept cruise. (over $80 more)

People posted, not a big deal (I still think they didnt understand they were being charged that much more with the last 1A change how it was fared for solo's)

I believe you mean Julia Roberts in Pretty woman, Julia childs was a chef on TV

Oh but it's so much more comical hearing in my head Julia Child's voice in the posh boutique saying "Big mistake, Carnival, big mistake".

Sorry about the increase in solo prices. That's really not fair.

I checked on the 1A rate yesterday and was quoted the 200% already! That takes care of my 20 year old nephew, he was trying so hard to save the $ to join us.......:(

When I mentioned that 1 person spending money on-board is better than none, I was told by the Carnival representative they always sail full and if my nephew can't go someone else will, quite the attitude!

Carnival needs to increase their profits....I can understand this. BUT I think they are totally going about this in the wrong way.

The changes they are making of late have been really stupid IMO.

This is definitely one of the stupid decisions.

You know what pisses me off even more about the cost of solo cruising, is that you pay for two people, yet if there is an OBC incentive when booking, they suddenly see you as a single person and give you only 1/2 the OBC.

I wish they'd just raise their base fares a little to make up for whatever they are currently lacking, and stop 'taking away'.

I checked on the 1A rate yesterday and was quoted the 200% already! That takes care of my 20 year old nephew, he was trying so hard to save the $ to join us.......:(

When I mentioned that 1 person spending money on-board is better than none, I was told by the Carnival representative they always sail full and if my nephew can't go someone else will, quite the attitude!

how many double occupancy bookings are based upon the solo traveler's recommendations???

I am rarely on a cruise truly solo...most times with family friends booked into double occupancy rooms. I guess NO longer.

Hopefully, someone at Carnival is reading the CC threads and this goes the way of "no more Bon Voyage Liquor Purchases".

HELLO MACH !!! HELLO JOHN HEALD !!!!

I agree - we need to get the low down from John Heald on why Carnival thinks this is a 'smart move'??? As soemone else mentioned - even tho I have a 'solo' cabin - I am joined on the cruise by others - so there is some 'additional revenue' they are not taking into account. Who is in charge now at Carnival? maybe sending him a 'link' to this thread might be a good idea? :)

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

As a frequent solo cruiser I think this SUCKS!!! I try to economize where possible and getting a good price on a 1A allows me to cruise solo without breaking the bank (and paying for someone who isn't there!). I guess Carnival is losin some revenue (as there is only one person in the cabin) so they have changed their pricing on these cabins. I know that not all of these cabins are conducive for 'couples' so they are not that popular. Wonder if they will still be as popular?:confused:

Any others out there who think this is a bad idea on Carnival's part? (I am considering writing them to voice my complaints but sounds like a done deal!):(

That bites! I just booked my son into one of these for the first time. In the past he's always booked an inside on the same deck we are and paid the 200% rate. I didn't realize until I read on here one day that these 1a cabins are actually scattered through out the ship. For some reason I thought they were only on the lowest deck. We have him booked right across the hall from us on the Empress for the Splendor sailing next April. I'm glad I got us booked when I did.

Since they are changing the policy I can only hope that these cabins will totally lose any appeal they may have had in the past and that he will see a price reduction for the April cruise. Yikes as I was typing it hit me that Carnival will base price reductions on double occupancy and not the 150% rate he booked at???

This is a crazy move on Carnival's end since these cabins are less than desirable for most people. If my son is going to be paying 200% I'm sure he will want a cabin where he can have both beds pushed together instead of sleeping on a twin bed. If they are eliminating the only perk for a single cruiser and making it 200% they should change those future cruise certs and give the solo cruiser the OBC based on the fact they are paying for double occupancy.

I agree - we need to get the low down from John Heald on why Carnival thinks this is a 'smart move'??? As soemone else mentioned - even tho I have a 'solo' cabin - I am joined on the cruise by others - so there is some 'additional revenue' they are not taking into account. Who is in charge now at Carnival? maybe sending him a 'link' to this thread might be a good idea? :)

Maybe do a mass email blitz like was done when the bon voyage issue popped up:p

Maybe do a mass email blitz like was done when the bon voyage issue popped up:p

Will not post specifics as cloned messages are less effective, but I did just send a very opinionated message on this latest change.

I am happy that more ships from other lines are coming to New Orleans full time. For a while now I have been getting the feeling that Carnival was no longer the "best bang for the buck". I have 2 more cruises currently booked with Carnival and then I am looking elsewhere to spend my cruising dollars.

I am saddened by this news, as I often travel solo=making travel more affordable. I am also saddened that Carnival is only giving a few days notice for this change to go into effect-and also, learning about it 2nd hand-thru Cruise Critic (no offense to anyone), as opposed to an e-mail from CCL.......

And people laughed at me when I booked a solo 1A back in February for next year's October Med sailing on the Carnival Magic.

Froufie, is this an official written policy change (where do you see it?) or something you find out when you go to book?

If this is a policy change fleetwide, I may just end up booking a higher category since the main reason for booking the 1A is the price break.

Roz

And people laughed at me when I booked a solo 1A back in February for next year's October Med sailing on the Carnival Magic.

Froufie, is this an official written policy change (where do you see it?) or something you find out when you go to book?

If this is a policy change fleetwide, I may just end up booking a higher category since the main reason for booking the 1A is the price break.

Roz

So glad you did this in advance. Wish I had booked a few more before "the change". I've always been Carnival loyal but really hope they find a cure for the condition (not sure what to call it) that they are currently suffering from.

I do understand the market - I have diversified investments - but they are currently shooting themselves in the foot.

This is EXTREMELY disappointing. I was planning to go solo on the Magic next year but a friend decided to join me. I was still planning to do a Caribbean trip after that solo, but will have to look at other cruiselines now. That was one thing I loved about Carnival--I knew it was an option. I don't like the attitude I'm hearing, either. Take it or leave it?

I'm wondering what the Euro dropping in Europe will do to Med cruise rates? I am hoping they will go down as the dollar strengthens, and perhaps affect airline rates, but she shall see, I guess.

So disappointing. I'm writing to John Heald and I hope you all do, too.

(DONE, and I hope you all write to John and Carnival, too).

He's gone on vacation starting today so not sure when he will see it.

I am NOT a solo cruiser, but as I understand it, the other lines do and have been charging 200% for many years now.

Doesn't take much of a Carnival accountant to say, "We are giving away 50% of a fare, and other lines are not!"

200% of $350.00 is still less than 200% of $450.00

Dan,

Carnival is not the only cruise line that gives solos a break - HAL and Princess do on inside and outside cabins on most cruises outside of holiday season. Carnival used to give price breaks on other categories, then changed it to just 1A.

As a solo, I tend to book the ship's shorex and participate in other ship activities, so I do generate some revenue for the cruise line. Plus I cruise once or twice a year. A steady cruiser does more for the bottom line than a one time flash in the pan cruiser.

I'm really puzzled as to why Carnival instituted this policy in the current economic climate - they must have data that shows a demand for the 1As by 2 passengers sailing together.

Roz

I am NOT a solo cruiser, but as I understand it, the other lines do and have been charging 200% for many years now.

Doesn't take much of a Carnival accountant to say, "We are giving away 50% of a fare, and other lines are not!"

200% of $350.00 is still less than 200% of $450.00

Princess usually charges 200% for balcony cabins or higher. OV and Insides are usually about 160% or so- depends on the sailing. I price these cabins a lot as I usually cruise solo in a cabin but with other people as a group.

Archived