Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old July 11th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Alaska Cruise Menu

I heard there was no crab legs on this years Alaskan cruise. What are the formal menus like this year? Is there anything new on the menus this year?

Serenade of the sea - Alaska 06/05
Golden Princess - Alaska 08/09
Sapphire Princess - Coastal 05/10
Golden Princess - Alaska 08/10
Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/11
Golden Princess - Alaska 7/12

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I didn't notice anything new. I was disappointed that there were no Alaska King Crab legs. There was a crab leg appetizer on one non-formal night, but that was the night that there was over an hour wait to get into the Anytime Dining room so I gave up and went to the buffet (and there were no crab leg appetizers there ). I did enjoy the lobster tail and giant prawns on formal night!

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Island Princess June 14-21 Voyage of the Glaciers this year. There were crab legs as an appetizer one evening. I think it was on one of the formal nights, but it was an appetizer selection not a "main meal". One formal night had delicious filet as one of the favored choices for dinner. The other formal night had beef wellington and also the lobster and prawn combination. We were on a cruise through the Panama Canal last March and the selections for formal nights were identical (except no crab leg appetizer on that cruise).

Back to the Alaska cruise -- there was an Alaskan buffet set up one day toward the end of the cruise which featured seafood, such as salmon. There was also the dessert buffet and a sushi buffet two other days.

They did do tableside bananas foster one evening in the dining room (they did not do it exactly in front of you, but nearby at a large area they had set up). They also made some pasta dish in the same manner one evening. Also, they had the most delicious escargot on the first formal night (not on the menu, but they were offered to you).

We were on a cruise to Alaska last summer as well and there was no tableside prep or escargot...but there were crab legs for dinner then. Personally, I had the crab leg appetizer this time and was not that impressed. My daughter had the crab legs last year for dinner and this year as an appetizer and enjoyed them more than I did.

We enjoyed the food very much on all three cruises!

Star Princess - Alaska 6/2009, S. Caribbean 4/2011

Island Princess - Panama Canal 3/2010; Alaska 6/2010; booked Caribbean Sampler 10/2014

Crown Princess - W. Carib. 12/2010; S. Carib. 3/2012
Grand Princess-S. Caribbean 12/2011
Ruby Princess-E. Caribbean 2/2012
: 12/2013, 1/2014
Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean 12/2012; Caribbean Get Away 5/2014; booked Caribbean Sampler 12/2014

Sapphire Princess- Alaska 6/2013
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean 11/2013, Eastern Caribbean
2/2014
Coral Princess - Alaska 7/2014
Regal Princess - booked Eastern Caribbean 11/2014 and 2/2015
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas - (yes, we are jumping ship to try another cruise line!) - booked Oct. 2014

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Alaska Food Pix Golden Princess

Don't have photos of Crab Legs but I think we had them on board the Golden in late May. On Formal Night there was delicious Lobster Tails (we had two each), by the pool one day was a Sushi Buffet....they served Halibut for dinner one night.. and I think I ate Salmon almost every night (sometimes with other Fettuccine or other main dishes). The food on the Alaska Cruise is wonderful. The desserts are sinful (had 2 or 3 each evening with my Cappuccino)!

Last edited by angyl; July 11th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Alaskan Night Menu

Does anyone have a copy (photo, text, whatever) of the menu for the Alaskan Night dinner? I have the standard menus, which I got from a post here, but not the Alaskan night menu. Unfortunately, it's the one night we missed last year, since we were in Juneau late and didn't feel like getting dressed up for dinner so just did the buffet. Also, if anyone knows which night they serve the Alaskan dinner on the Golden, that would be helpful too. Thanks!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Alaska Night?

I don't remember any Alaska Night...every night was Alaska Night right? They had Alaskan Salmon at every meal..... One night they dressed up Italian so I guess that was Italian Night. I don't remember any special Alaska night and it's only been a month since I returned. Maybe all the wine blurred my memories...hehe

Old July 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

There was definitely an Alaskan Night last year. There were the usual Sailaway, Captain's Gala, Italian Dinner, etc. but the day that we were in Juneau it was Alaskan Dinner. We walked by the dining rooms as we got back on board after our excursion, looked at the menu quickly, and decided that we'd rather just relax and go to the buffet. I can't recall the menu at all, so I'm wondering what we missed and whether I want to make an effort to get to dinner that night this time around.
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!

Old July 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM
5,000+ Club

On our 14 day Alaska cruise last month they did not serve crab legs. The formal night menu's were about as blah as every other night on that cruise - big on presentation, short on taste (for our taste anyway). We didn't do the third formal night and opted for the Steakhouse instead so we probably missed the baby lobsters.
Crown Princess - Caribbean - 23 Feb 2013
Carnival Magic - Caribbean - 12 Feb 2012
Crown Princess - Quebec to FLL - 14 Oct 2011
Grand Princess - Caribbean - 14 Feb 2011
Royal Princess - Alaska - 24 May 2010
Carnival Conquest - Key West/Bahamas - 18 Oct 2009
Caribbean Princess - Canada/New England - 5 Sep 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - 25 Apr 2008
Star Princess - Canada/New England - 28 Oct 2006
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - Feb 2006
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2004
Golden Princess - Canada/New England - Oct 2002

Old July 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

There will be lobster and salmon. Although the lobster seems a little smaller every year.

Old July 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by erber View Post
We were on the Island Princess June 14-21 Voyage of the Glaciers this year. There were crab legs as an appetizer one evening. I think it was on one of the formal nights, but it was an appetizer selection not a "main meal". One formal night had delicious filet as one of the favored choices for dinner. The other formal night had beef wellington and also the lobster and prawn combination. We were on a cruise through the Panama Canal last March and the selections for formal nights were identical (except no crab leg appetizer on that cruise).

Back to the Alaska cruise -- there was an Alaskan buffet set up one day toward the end of the cruise which featured seafood, such as salmon. There was also the dessert buffet and a sushi buffet two other days.

They did do tableside bananas foster one evening in the dining room (they did not do it exactly in front of you, but nearby at a large area they had set up). They also made some pasta dish in the same manner one evening. Also, they had the most delicious escargot on the first formal night (not on the menu, but they were offered to you).

We were on a cruise to Alaska last summer as well and there was no tableside prep or escargot...but there were crab legs for dinner then. Personally, I had the crab leg appetizer this time and was not that impressed. My daughter had the crab legs last year for dinner and this year as an appetizer and enjoyed them more than I did.

We enjoyed the food very much on all three cruises!
We were on the very same Alaska cruise in June. On the second formal night, there was lobster. We were offered "seconds", and our table-mates cheerfully downed a second entree of lobster.

The Alaska buffet was topside, and I think it was on the day of Glacier Bay, so people could stay and watch the spectacular vistas.

My wife is a professional chef and difficult to please (and to fool), and overall she was pleased with the food with some quibbles. Remember this is hotel food for 2000 people.

Please note, the morale among the staff was high, and service was excellent.

Old July 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you say Prawns?