Lack of self-serve laundry facilities...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:59 AM.
Grand Junction, CO
202 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Is anyone else annoyed that there are no self-serve facilities on the Equinox?

What with the smaller amounts allowed on flights AND the extra charges for luggage, I wonder why Celebrity has little or no laundramats on board? Princess had laundry on every deck!

Really, who wants to send their underwear out for cleaning? I know "I'm on vacation", but I would really rather just do it myself.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 94 West Carib.,Epirotiki Triton 97 Greece and Turkey Honeymoon, Celebrity Mercury 99 Panama Canal Eastbound, Celebrity Horizon 00 Bermuda with 20 foot swells and a hurricane, Celebrity Mercury 01 Hawaii, Carnival Elation 02 Mexico, Celebrity Mercury 02 Alaska, Norwegian Star 06 Mexico, Carnival Spirit 06 Alaska, Azamara Journey 09 Panama Canal Westbound, Diamond Princess 12/10/09 Australia/NZ, Celebrity Equinox 10/31/10 WB Transatlantic, Crown Princess 3/2015 California Coastal, Paul Gauguin 12/16/2015 Tahiti
Florida
9,054 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
NOPE....more than happy to stuff that Celebrity provided bag full of as much stuff as I can get in it and send it to them to clean. I want NOTHING to do with laundry when I am on vacation....

Sorry but I don't share your pain at all!!!
1,321 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
The bag prices are cheap, and service is great.
If it's just underwear, you can always hand wash it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Peteymil

Celebrity Silhouette-July 13, 2016, Celebrity Reflection-December 26, 2015,
Celebrity Silhouette-July 15, 2015, Celebrity Silhouette-April 13, 2014, Celebrity Equinox-June 22, 2013,
Celebrity Infinity-June 29, 2012,Celebrity Eclipse-April 2012,Celebrity Constellation-June 2011, Celebrity Summit-April 2011, Celebrity Infinity - July 2010,Celebrity Summit-June 2009, Celebrity Solstice-April 2009, Celebrity Solstice-December 2008, Celebrity Summit--March 2008, Crowne Princess--December 2006, Sapphire Princess--August 2005, Adventurer of the Seas--December 2004, Celebrity Infinity--April 2002, Celebrity Mercury--July 2001
12,890 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
X never has had them, and I predict they never will. No I'm not annoyed, but that's just me. If they are a necessary part of your cruise experience, other lines do have them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...…..813 Days At Sea...….(670 on Celebrity)...and I'm counting all 7 days on the ill-fated Millennium even though my cruise was shortened!)
Jacksonville, FL USA
47,908 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Nope from me as well. I have no desire to do laundry while on a cruise,
never have and never will.

You ask why Celebrity doesn't offer it? I guess they don't feel the need.

I agree with Gracie, sorry, don't feel your pain either.
Georgia
675 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I agree that it is not necessary for us to have laundry facilities. It actually made us pack more conservatively and finally cured me (for the most part) of overpacking with too many clothes that go home unworn. I am on the "no laundry on vacation" bandwagon. Worth every dime to avoid it by sending it out. Makes it even more of a real vacation!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 7, 2017, Eclipse President's Cruise, British Isles and Iceland
April 29, 2017, Eclipse, Norwegian Fjords
April 16, 2017, Eclipse, Tradewinds Transatlantic
August 14, 2016, Eclipse, Scandinavia and Baltic
June 12, 2015, Millenium, Alaska Southbound
March 2, 2014, Infinity, Buenos Aires, South America
May 24, 2013, Millenium, Alaska, Northbound
May 13, 2012, Summit, Bermuda
May 14, 2010, Equinox, Mediterranean
Grand Junction, CO
202 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by GeorgiaPeach51
I agree that it is not necessary for us to have laundry facilities. It actually made us pack more conservatively and finally cured me (for the most part) of overpacking with too many clothes that go home unworn. I am on the "no laundry on vacation" bandwagon. Worth every dime to avoid it by sending it out. Makes it even more of a real vacation!
Guess I'm in the minority here. Guess I'll just have to do my "dainties" in the sink. I too hate doing laundry on vacation, but throwing a load or two in over 2 weeks is hardly a chore. I'll be utilizing the "fill a bag" deal this trip!

As to packing conservatively...I can pack everything needed for two weeks (if I can do some laundry) into a carry-on. I've got this packing thing down to a science...two pairs of shoes, mix and match evening wear/daywear, etc. Guess I'll have to check a bag for our transatlantic adventure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 94 West Carib.,Epirotiki Triton 97 Greece and Turkey Honeymoon, Celebrity Mercury 99 Panama Canal Eastbound, Celebrity Horizon 00 Bermuda with 20 foot swells and a hurricane, Celebrity Mercury 01 Hawaii, Carnival Elation 02 Mexico, Celebrity Mercury 02 Alaska, Norwegian Star 06 Mexico, Carnival Spirit 06 Alaska, Azamara Journey 09 Panama Canal Westbound, Diamond Princess 12/10/09 Australia/NZ, Celebrity Equinox 10/31/10 WB Transatlantic, Crown Princess 3/2015 California Coastal, Paul Gauguin 12/16/2015 Tahiti
Jacksonville, FL USA
47,908 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Pengawin3
Guess I'm in the minority here. Guess I'll just have to do my "dainties" in the sink. I too hate doing laundry on vacation, but throwing a load or two in over 2 weeks is hardly a chore. I'll be utilizing the "fill a bag" deal this trip!

As to packing conservatively...I can pack everything needed for two weeks (if I can do some laundry) into a carry-on. I've got this packing thing down to a science...two pairs of shoes, mix and match evening wear/daywear, etc. Guess I'll have to check a bag for our transatlantic adventure.
It just happens those of us who don't agree with your viewpoint have
replied. I have read alot of posts about this subject over the years and there are
others who agree with your point of view. They just haven't chimed in.
Of course we are on a message board so debate is what keeps thing going
176 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I don't want to do laundry either, and I'm grateful that there are no laundry facilities on board as then I don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to do it!

Celebrity's laundry services do a great job, and I feel that the prices are fair.
Grand Junction, CO
202 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by cruisestitch
X never has had them, and I predict they never will. No I'm not annoyed, but that's just me. If they are a necessary part of your cruise experience, other lines do have them.
My last long cruise on X was in '99 and there were NO limits on baggage with airlines, so I never even considered doing laundry!

I understand other lines have laundry facilities. I have been on numerous lines and ships. I do not choose my vacation based on laundry, but having the option is always a good thing.

Your vacation and mine are two different things with divergent needs and wants. As it should be!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,293 Posts
Joined Dec 2002

[...]

I'd be annoyed if there were laundromats.

Who wants to see passengers lugging dirty clothes back and forth all day?
Boise, ID USA
125 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
I'm glad they don't. It always upsets me when my wife decides to do laundry for a couple of hours while we are on vacation. Let it go -- relax -- you're on vacation. And yes, when we get home, I help my wife get caught up on the laundry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Skyward - 8/80
Premier Oceanic - 8/91
Carnival Tropicale - 7/97
Disney Magic - 6/99
Carnival Pride - 8/02
Carnival Triumph - 9/07
Celebrity Solstice - 9/10
949 Posts
Joined Feb 2009

What with the smaller amounts allowed on flights AND the extra charges for luggage, I wonder why Celebrity has little or no laundramats on board? Princess had laundry on every deck!

Really, who wants to send their underwear out for cleaning? I know "I'm on vacation", but I would really rather just do it myself.

Lol it's a cruise vacatoin not a camping trip
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnivale 1983
Carnival Can't Remember 1985
Jubilee 1988
Carnival Spirit (Costa Rica)2002
Carnival Conquest 2004
Carnival Liberty Europe 2005
Disney Magic 2005
Carnival Paradise 2006
Freedom of the Seas 2006
Disney Magic Back to Back 1 2006
Disney Magic BtoB 2
Disney Wonder 2007
Carnival Spirit (Mex Riv) 2008
Freedom of the Seas 2008
Disney Wonder 2008
Carnival Spirit (Alaska) 2009
Celebrity Xpedition (Galapagos) 2009
Celebrity Eclipse (Baltic) 2010
Disney Wonder (double dip) 2010
Disney Dream (double dip back to back 2011
Disney Dream (Double dip part 2 2011)
Celebrity Silhouette Holy Land 2011
Disney Fantasy June 2012 7 day W Caribbean
near gettysburg, pa
1,240 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I have (in the past) done laundry on a cruise. But, never again. My brilliant laundry plan had me running back and forth from the laundry room to somewhere outside as we transited the Panama Canal.
Now, I pack enough undies, and send out the rest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Will Work for Cruises

Aug 22, 2017; Oct 19, 2017; Dec 9, 2017; March 15, 2018; May 5, 2018; Oct 6, 2018; Dec 13, 2018; March 16, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
2,712 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
I do wish Celebrity had self service laundry. I use it whenever we're on Princess. Comes in very handy with a family of four, especially on a longer trip. But it isn't important enough to affect my choice of cruise.

Like the OP, I'm one of those people who would really rather wash my own undies! On our last cruise on the Mariner of the Seas, I sent out a load of laundry including everyone's underwear. They called me back because they counted 14 and I had marked 13. Good of them to be so conscientious, but I felt funny discussing our undies with some stranger on the phone. I'll make sure to count extra carefully next time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
Ruby Princess - Cabo Getaway - 12/16; Caribbean Princess - Baltic Heritage - 6/15; Crown Princess - Mexico - 12/14 (the Xmas cruise where I broke my leg); Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound TA - 6/13; Celebrity Silhouette - W. Caribbean - 3/13; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 12/12; Celebrity Equinox - E. Mediterranean - 6/11; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11; Queen Victoria - Mexican Getaway - 2/11; Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - 3/10; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 10/09; Crown Princess - British Isles - 7/09; Celebrity Summit - E. Mediterranean - 6/08; Dawn Princess - Pacific Coastal - 5/08; Golden Princess - Mexico - 3/08; Diamond Princess - Mexico - 3/07; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 8/06; Caribbean Princess - 6/05; HAL Ryndam - Alaska - 8/96
Upcoming Cruise:
Ruby Princess - Alaska - 7/8/17
Cheltenham, pa
1,518 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
No laundry room is part of the attraction for me! I am thrilled that I never even have to consider throwing a load of wash in!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2015 Celebrity eclipse 01/24/16
2015 Celebrity simmit 06/07/15
2015 Celebrity Eclipse 01/18/15
2014 Celebrity Summit 6/01/14
2013 Celebrity Equinox 10/20/2013
2012 RCCL Explorer of the seas 11/04/12
2011 Celebrity Silhouette 11/06/11
2010 Celebrity Mercury 10/18/10
2009 Celebrity Mercury 11/09/09
2008 Celebrity Constellation 10/30/08
2007 HAL Noordam 10/20/2007
2006 Celebrity Constellation 10/27/06
2005 Celebrity Constellation 10/17/05
2004 Celebrity Galaxy 10/8/04
2003 Carnival Legend 10/4/03
2002 Celebrity Galaxy 9/20/02

Long ago cruises on Greek lines, home lines, costa lines, italian lines, ncl and Royal carribean lines.
McLaren Vale Australia
674 Posts
Joined Jun 2007

I would like the option of self-service laundry on Celebrity. We're from Australia, and our cruises are part of longer vacations. I happily give up a couple of hours on longer cruises, to do my laundry and arrive at the next destination with clean clothes.

Definitely a consideration when choosing a cruise, but not a deal breaker. We had a Princess Panama Canal cruise booked for 2011, but after a wonderful Transatlantic on the Equinox, we have changed to the Celebrity Infinity.

Wonderful service on Celebrity, but the best for us was the practically smoke free environment. Now that is a deal breaker, so goodbye Princess, at least until they forbid smoking in cabins and balconies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canada
337 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Laundry is one of my things on vacation - I always choose hotels with self-service laundry and am mildly obsessed with having my clothes clean at all times.

..but if the Equinox doesn't have a laundromat, then it doesn't and all the bleating in the world isn't going to change that.

I plan to wash my own underwear if necessary ( but its really no hardship to pack 10 - 14 days worth) , send other things to be laundered even if it is a nuisance and costs a bit extra and basically just bring as much as I can.

When we booked our air tickets - we specifically made sure we had organised airlines with generous baggage allowances or we have paid extra for an extra bag.

So I guess I'm mildly irritated but with a bit of planning - should be OK.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature