swimming on the Star Princess

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:48 PM.
England, Lincolnshire
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Just beginning to plan my packing for our Baltic cruise in a couple of weeks' time. I'm trying to decide whether to pack gym clothes or just my swim suit. Is it easy to swim lengths in any of the pools, or are they too full of people? Does anybody have any other tips that would be useful exercise-wise? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Denver, Colorado
511 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by beewee
Just beginning to plan my packing for our Baltic cruise in a couple of weeks' time. I'm trying to decide whether to pack gym clothes or just my swim suit. Is it easy to swim lengths in any of the pools, or are they too full of people? Does anybody have any other tips that would be useful exercise-wise? Thanks!
I'd pack the gym clothes. Difficult to swim laps in the pools. Speed walking the deck in the am works well too.
Chesapeake, VA
1,197 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Doesn't the Star have the swim-against-the-current pool? That's where I did my 'laps' on Sapphire....and, since it was adults only, didn't have to fight the kids for it. The adults were very good about sharing the current as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Suzan

Emerald Princess 8/15 - Sailing The Former Ottoman Empire
Ruby Princess 6/14 - British Isles
Island Princess 8/13 - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers
Pacific Princess 9/12 - Mediterranean Collection
Carnival Victory 3/12 - Southern Caribbean
Star Princess 9/11 - Greece, Italy, Croatia
Carnival Glory 10/10 - Bahamas
Sapphire Princess 6/10 - Alaska Inner Passage
Carnival Destiny 7/08 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Legend 7/07 - Exotic Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy 7/06 - Western Caribbean
Great White North, Eh!
4,738 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by suzski
Doesn't the Star have the swim-against-the-current pool? That's where I did my 'laps' on Sapphire....and, since it was adults only, didn't have to fight the kids for it. The adults were very good about sharing the current as well.
Yes it does. Its the Spa pool.
101 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by suzski
is there an extra charge for the "swim against the current" pool, or was it included?

how crowded was it?
League City, TX
38,427 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by NMJack
is there an extra charge for the "swim against the current" pool, or was it included?

how crowded was it?

This is the Spa pool and is available at no charge to all adults. It is rarely crowded.
San Francisco Bay Area
12,298 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by ActiveTraveler
I thought I read somewhere the Terrace Pool is also adults only. Is that true?

It is true. This is an adults only pool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Future Cruises: Grand Princess, May 2017, September 2017, March 2018, June 2018
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (11), Grand Princess (7), Golden Princess (6), Regal Princess (old) (5), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3),Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Crown Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

Chesapeake, VA
1,197 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by NMJack

how crowded was it?
Granted, we were on a cruise to Alaska, but I didn't find the Spa Pool crowded at all. Most adults spent more time in the adjacent (child-less) hot tubs than in the pool, itself. I would swim for about 15 minutes and then give up the current, allowing others their turn...but rarely was anyone waiting or, if they were, would use the current for less than 5 minutes.

And as Carabill stated, no charge to use the pool. After getting my swim in, I enjoyed going to the steam room/sauna to relax the muscles a bit....again, no charge and I never saw anyone else in them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Suzan

Emerald Princess 8/15 - Sailing The Former Ottoman Empire
Ruby Princess 6/14 - British Isles
Island Princess 8/13 - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers
Pacific Princess 9/12 - Mediterranean Collection
Carnival Victory 3/12 - Southern Caribbean
Star Princess 9/11 - Greece, Italy, Croatia
Carnival Glory 10/10 - Bahamas
Sapphire Princess 6/10 - Alaska Inner Passage
Carnival Destiny 7/08 - Southern Caribbean