Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default *Info for anyone who bought a Michael Godard painting during a Princess art auction.*

Hi everyone,

If you are reading this and you purchased a Michael Godard painting on a Princess ship, you may find this very helpful. I learned the following over the last few days after talking with a few Michael Godard Fine Arts employees...

Prior to January 2008, Godard Fine Arts used a printing company called "Harvest" to print the Godard paintings. It was later discovered that Harvest used a paint that expanded/contracted (with weather changes) at a different rate than the canvas on which it was printed. After 2 years, many of the Godard paintings began to crack, mostly around the edges. I was told that Godard Fine Arts estimated that this happened to approximately 30% of their paintings. The Godard store in Atlantic City actually had to close for a little while in order to replace all of their cracking paintings. Godard Fine Arts considered a lawsuit against Harvest.

Around January 2008, Godard Fine Arts switched printing companies, and apparently these newer paintings don't have the cracking problem. The problem with the Harvest printing company is very well known....both by Godard Fine Arts, and the Princess Art company (Global Fine Arts).

I own a Godard which I purchased on a ship in October 2007. A few months ago, I counted 65 cracks near the outside edge of the canvas. I mentioned this to Godard Fine Arts, and they told me that Princess was aware of the issue, and that Princess gave refunds to some people who purchased the older Godards (in addition, Godard Fine Arts is issuing refunds to anyone who bought these paintings directly through them).

I contacted Princess yesterday, and they requested that I send them photos of the cracks in the painting. I am currently awaiting their response.

So, if you have a Michael Godard painting that was printed before January 2008, you may want to examine the painting for cracks. I know how angry I was when I discovered the cracks, so I'm hoping this information may help someone else.

*As a note, the cracking problem has nothing to do with Princess. The problem is directly related to the paintings themselves. Godard paintings purchased directly from Godard Fine Arts had the exact same problem.*

*If you are curious as to whether your Godard painting were printed by Harvest, look on the letter of authenticity. The printing company is listed on the letter.*

March 2006 - Western Caribbean - Star Princess (the fire cruise )
September 2006 - Eastern Caribbean - Caribbean Princess (no fires this time! )
October 2007 - Eastern Caribbean - Caribbean Princess (did not have to spend 7 hours in the muster station this time! )
October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Caribbean Princess (lasted the full 7 days! )
January 2009 - Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess (10 days this time! )
September 2010 - Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess (8 days of rain, 2 days of some sun )

Last edited by drumline13; July 21st, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

I just checked our certificate of authenticity and our Godard was also done by Harvest Productions and purchased in 2007. I will be checking it ASAP to see if we have any cracks in our print. Thanks for the heads up!

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
I just checked our certificate of authenticity and our Godard was also done by Harvest Productions and purchased in 2007. I will be checking it ASAP to see if we have any cracks in our print. Thanks for the heads up!
Nice to know that someone else may benefit from my info! Hope your painting isn't having any problems. I was in the Atlantic City shop the other day, and I mentioned the "cracks" in my painting to the salesperson....hoping he could tell me what I could do to repair it. He explained the entire issue to me, and I verified it all with Godard's sales manager.

If anyone else finds my info helpful, please add a note to this board to let me know!

October 2007 - Eastern Caribbean - Caribbean Princess (did not have to spend 7 hours in the muster station this time! )
October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Caribbean Princess (lasted the full 7 days! )
September 2010 - Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess (8 days of rain, 2 days of some sun )

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

drumline13, I did check and do not see any cracks, but will check more in the morning when I have better light. This picture hangs outside of my husband's home office and he loves it. Ours is the "Perfect Zen" from the Don't Drink and Draw Series. Anxious to hear what Princess has to say about it. Thanks again for sharing, learn so much from these boards.

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
drumline13, I did check and do not see any cracks, but will check more in the morning when I have better light. This picture hangs outside of my husband's home office and he loves it. Ours is the "Perfect Zen" from the Don't Drink and Draw Series. Anxious to hear what Princess has to say about it. Thanks again for sharing, learn so much from these boards.
TM, mine is "Burning it Up". The cracks were much easier to see in the early spring....when the air was very dry. They are harder to see now (probably due to swelling in the humidity), and they look like white hair against the black background. When I took photos with a flash, they were a little easier to see. I'll try to update you on Princess' response...

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

drumline13,

Is your Godard printed on paper? Ours is a giclee' on canvas. I checked it again this morning in the early light and do not see any cracking, thankfully. I will continue to follow this as I am curious to what Princess will do. We have purchased many pieces of art from them (about 16) and a few did arrive in not so perfect condition. I will say Princess was wonderful to work with, but you do need to stay on top of them. All in all, we have always had a positive outcome with them. Good luck.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Update:

Princess Fine Arts (name: Global Fine Arts) contacted me today regarding the photos I sent them of my painting. They said they are going to provide a replacement painting....same edition, same edition #, hand embellishments, etc. They are going to arrange for Fed Ex to pick up my painting at my house, and they said it should take 6 to 8 weeks to get the replacement.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

drumline13, that's great news! Regardless of what other people say we really enjoy all of our art work. It has brought us so much pleasure and we have learned so much from all of the art auctions we have been too. I knew that Princess would step up to the plate on this. I will keep checking on mine...just in case. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

At the risk of getting flamed, might these pieces be worth more in any way? I'm a person that likes art for how it looks, so I'm really shallow on judging value. Funny how "mistakes" sometimes are more valuable than the pure thing.
Just curious.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumline13 View Post
Update:

Princess Fine Arts (name: Global Fine Arts) contacted me today regarding the photos I sent them of my painting. They said they are going to provide a replacement painting....same edition, same edition #, hand embellishments, etc. They are going to arrange for Fed Ex to pick up my painting at my house, and they said it should take 6 to 8 weeks to get the replacement.
FYI I would not give up the old one before you know the new one has a shipping number.
Carnival Liberty-2007 First cruise with no children.
Carnival Splendor-2009 Swine Flu Cruise Loved San Fran
Carnival Dream-2010 Great cruise
Carnival Valor- 6 Days is much to short.
Carnival Splendor Do Over-2012 Much to cold. Met alot of great people.
Carnival Liberty-October 2013 Found 2 great places to return. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

We love our Godards - such interesting art

Thanks for the information

Sapphire Princess - Mexican Rivera March 18, 2006
Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean June 4, 2005
Diamond Princess - Alaska May 29, 2004

"Along the way we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and that the people we meet along the way will be the traveling companions of our memories forever."

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing55 View Post
At the risk of getting flamed, might these pieces be worth more in any way? I'm a person that likes art for how it looks, so I'm really shallow on judging value. Funny how "mistakes" sometimes are more valuable than the pure thing.
Just curious.
Redwing....I don't think a painting that is bound to fall apart more and more over the years is going to be worth more than a perfect one. I didn't buy it because I thought it would be worth something someday....I just like really like Godard art, and I wanted a painting of my own. I'm not concerned with value...I'm only concerned with how it looks hanging on my wall!

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjo View Post
FYI I would not give up the old one before you know the new one has a shipping number.
Deborah, I don't have a choice....since my painting is one of a numbered series, they can't reissue a new one with my same edition number until they have received the old one.

Anyway, I'm supposed to have mine picked up by Fed Ex on Wednesday, so hopefully this will get the ball rolling!

Old July 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just an update: Fed Ex picked up my painting from my home on Wednesday, so now we will see how long things take to progress...

Old September 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just an update: Nothing really to report....I'm waiting on Princess to send me the new painting. No word from them yet...

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

I had to check out the Godard site to figure out who the artist was you all were talking about. Now I know.....the olive pictures I see on every Princess ship!

2001 Crown Princess (the old one!), Panama Canal, partial transit
2001 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2003 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Celebrity Century, Western Caribbean
2005 Sun Princess, Southern Caribbean
2006 Benin and Egypt, 3 weeks, land vacation
2008 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera
2010 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean
2011 Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean
2011 Italy, 2.5 weeks, land vacation
2012 Island Princess, Panama Canal, partial transit
2012 Viking Emerald, China Cultural Delights
2013 Crown Princess, Western Caribbean
2013 Viking Rurik, Waterways of the Czars, Russia
2014 Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Default I Agree with TM, Princess is Good on Refunds

We bought a painting in April on Crown. We were told we would have it in 3 weeks max for the $20 we paid for the tube with the painting in it. A month later we still have no painting. SO I phoned Global and spoke with 4 people before I get someone who knows we bought ours on Crown, it was charged to our bill that was paid for before we left. Problem was it disappeared from the ship & we do not have it. The guy on the ship brought it over to me with the paperwork to fill out with name address & phone #. It stated $20 shipping charge but we have the painting. The woman at the computer on Crown's painting area in the bar, was freaking out at how we got it when it should be on stage. So it was taken & put on an easel on stage & we got a copy of the paperwork.

A week later I get a call from Princess' Accounting Dept telling me that a credit for the full amount was going on our VISA and it was there the next day. Guess they never found it since they just refunded our money, instead of calling all ship to locate it. No problem with us.

The 2nd painting showed in 2 weeks and was framed at Michael's for 50% off ($79) and we enjoy it.

Quote:
drumline13,

Is your Godard printed on paper? Ours is a giclee' on canvas. I checked it again this morning in the early light and do not see any cracking, thankfully. I will continue to follow this as I am curious to what Princess will do. We have purchased many pieces of art from them (about 16) and a few did arrive in not so perfect condition. I will say Princess was wonderful to work with, but you do need to stay on top of them. All in all, we have always had a positive outcome with them. Good luck.

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband is looking at our "Bar Fly" MG as I type for cracks.
Let me tell you a story about Princess Fine Arts though....several years ago we "won" some prints. All but one came several weeks after our cruise. We were told that we would not be getting one of them because the art auctioneer had given it away to more than they had prints for so we would get our framing fee refunded. Then, out of the blue, a print arrived. I figured they found another and didn't bother to unpack it for several months. We were moving and I didn't really have room for it. Ok.....I finally unpack it and it's a Michael Godard "Shooting the Wad". I call Princess...."Oh...that's expensive (well relatively speaking it was more than our free one) we'll send UPS/FedEx to pick it up. I repack it, wait one Friday night and no one shows up. I call.... I call again....I call again....there is no concern what-so-ever that I have this framed print. Finally after letting it sit in the packaging over a year later, we put the darn thing on EBAY and sold it for $1000! The guy buying it (framed) was glad to get it and we put the money toward another cruise. So thanks to Michael Godard and Princess we got a big discount on our next cruise!

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumline13 View Post
Just an update: Nothing really to report....I'm waiting on Princess to send me the new painting. No word from them yet...
Any update on this?

Also, do you have specific contact info or did you just go to Princess directly?

One of my Godard painting has this very problem.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by admranger; August 21st, 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Old August 21st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quick question....how much is the average Godard cost on princess. I was just given one from the Godard store in key west. Thanks